More 311 Stereo Fun . . .

Notices
Formula

More 311 Stereo Fun . . .

Old 01-28-2004, 11:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default More 311 Stereo Fun . . .

I am searching for an amp location and need about 26 inches (that's what she said . . . ) for the same. I do not want to take the fridge out. I am reluctant to do anything underneath the gunwales. I was thinking about the head compartment and wondered if anyone had run wires that direction and what they did to make it happen. Also, has anyone got a sub(s) set up they could beam me pictures of? [email protected]. Thanks!!!
Old 01-28-2004, 08:44 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Any place that you can rear mount the amps so that you can just see the tops?

Jon
Old 01-28-2004, 11:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why the reluctance to use the gunwales? On my 311,I mounted two amps side by side on a piece of marine plywood and then secured the plywood inside the port gunwale to the large bolts that thru-bolt to the bolster. They were high enough and far enough forward to still have room for storage, stayed very dry, and had decent air circulation for heat dissipation. Couldn't really come up with a better place.
Old 01-29-2004, 08:47 AM
Registered

Red Dog- do you have any pics? I am having trouble visualizing how you got the plywood up there and how it was mounted.

Audiofn- I suppose I could go under the back seat . . . but I would rather go forward. I thought about building an enclosure of some sort and putting it on the firewall- but, sounds like a heat problem. I am also worried about heat if I go to a "flush mount" rack. I am using a 6-channel optidrive (the old American made one) and if I drive it at 2ohms it will generate a lot of heat.

Any thoughts on subs? I don't know what do do about an appropriate enclosure- hence my earlier interest in a tube or pre-fabbed set up.

Thanks.
Old 01-29-2004, 09:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If you remove the refrigerator you may find plently of room behind it for an amp. There was on the 272.
Old 01-29-2004, 10:11 AM
Registered

bford1- I understand from Audiofn that the "factory" amp is behind the fridge. I am worried about heat, however, as I presume the OE amp gave up the ghost because of heat. I would just as soon not have a fridge- I don't use shorepower for any length of time but the wife likes the idea of having it . . . go figure.
Old 01-30-2004, 11:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I thought Formula-installed amps were installed in the space above the fridge where the breaker panel is. I didn't know they installed them behind the fridge.

In any event, why not install it in that space above the fridge? I've also considered installing mine on the bulkhead under the pasenger-side dash. I think theres enough space and you'd get good circulation. Easy cable route to the head unit also.

Just my thoughts
Old 01-30-2004, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Space above the fridge did get hot in my 311 with the factory amps. I'm not sure they were wired correctly though.

I mounted the plywood inside the gunwale ahead of the sliding door. I secured it from the top using the three big through-bolts and washers attaching the bolster to the fiberglass support. The mount/amps hung vertically with the back of the plywood against the fiberglass of the side coaming. I don't know if this helps you visualize the set-up. I can't get you pictures for you as I traded the 311 for a 382 last summer, but I would be happy to send you a drawing if you have a fax number I can send it to. Let me know!