Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Fastest 357?  And what is the deal with "flexing"? >

Fastest 357? And what is the deal with "flexing"?

Notices
Formula

Fastest 357? And what is the deal with "flexing"?

Old 02-25-2004, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fastest 357? And what is the deal with "flexing"?

Just curious as to the speeds on the 357? And I've read alot about this particular boat being "flexible" but what does that actuallymean in real world terms? Are the stringers going to pull away from the hull if you hit some bad water or what?
Old 02-25-2004, 08:38 AM
Registered

From what I know and have heard, the flexing just causes very minor stress cracks in the gel coat. Nothing major, just an annoyance. Usually quite easy to repair. It is strictly a cosmetic issue.

Fastest 357 I've heard of is mid/high 80's but takes big power to get them there, like 700 or better hp per side.

The Kamma 357's are probably faster over the Merc outdrives but don't know the speeds.

The 357's with Bravos will be a tad faster than the TRS models, but the TRS units are a little stronger.

One with 500 Bulldogs with a Procharger would run quite well I would think.

I'm going to swap motors in my 311 as soon as I can swing it. I'm looking for mid high 80's. Planning on going with twin 650's or thereabout.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Registered

Thanks for the info - I've been lusting after a 357 for a while now. Love the way they look and plenty of room for the Mrs, plus it's damn near a 38' boat by today's yardstick... hopefully in the next year or so!
Old 02-25-2004, 10:57 AM
Registered

That should work our perfect Dockrocker! I need one more summer with my 357 then she's yours.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:00 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Flex in a formula????I thought the old ones were built like a battle ship!!! Mike there is an ausome 382 over here for sale for 90K with everything on it 525's genny air you name it!!!
Old 02-25-2004, 11:06 AM
Registered

Don 90K is probably 30K or 40K more than I could spend. Got a nibble on a new job, going for the interview on Friday. If the stars align, we might be shopping in the fall. We shall see...

I really like the 311 and 357 Formulas. Got a windshield for the Mrs, big, heavy straight deep-V, a length that doesn't include 2' of platform. Update the interior (what in God's name were they thinking?!?!?), maybe see how much it would be to paint the dash white, new gauges and you're ready to go. That's my brainstorm, anyhow
Old 02-25-2004, 11:22 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll keep my eyes open!!!Thats why I bought my Sonic it fit the price model......I know of a 31 Sonic you can buy right.....about 50K lots of room for kids!!!NOT MINE its a couple years newer purple and white...

Last edited by dyno; 02-25-2004 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:23 AM
Registered

The "flex" is very very minor, the only way you could ever tell it has it is by the stress cracks, and it takes a long time for them to appear. It's not like you are out jumping waves and actually feel it or anything. I've seen stress cracks in every boat I've ever seen that's ten years old or older. Some of the lesser quality boats will have stress cracks after one season. Every fiberglass boat ever built, by the properties of the material used, will have some "flex" in it. Most of the time you are speaking of an extremely diminitive amount. At least I believe that to be true and is what I have been told.

Hell even a Destroyer has flex in it.
Old 02-25-2004, 12:17 PM
Registered

That's kind of what I figured - Formula has a reputation for building solid boats, so I was little confused about the 357 "talk".
Old 02-25-2004, 12:43 PM
Registered

Dock, bottom line is you will NEVER go wrong with a Formula. They hold their value as well as any boat made. And they are great rough water boats. I have no trouble in 4/5 ft. seas running with "today's" 35/38 footers.

Quick Reply: Fastest 357? And what is the deal with "flexing"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.