311 "closet" question

Notices
Formula

311 "closet" question

Old 03-31-2004, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 311 "closet" question

Not the "water closet"- the locker with the fridge in it on a 311 . . . can someone give me the dimensions of the shelf and side walls above the fridge? I have concluded that my 6 channel amp is simply too big and am going to a mono Class D and a 4 channel A/B. Need to buy the amps and then travel down to the lake. Gotta know if they will fit.

As always, happy thoughts encouraged.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:46 AM
Registered

I don't have the dimensions handy, but I did think of mounting my amps in there (if they fit). However, with the fridge running, it does get rather warm in there, and am not going to install in there probably. I don't want the amps to overheat in there and shut down - mine get real hot when cranking them, and my sub amp (480w) used to overheat on a hot day just being mounted to a wall in the cabin in my old boat let alone in a closet.

Food for thought.
Old 04-01-2004, 07:55 AM
Registered

"JB"- I have been horsing this issue around all off season. I don't use the fridge and- if I mount in the locker -will be using a pair of small Memphis amps- one a 250W D and the other a 100W A/B. They don't generate any heat (compared to other stuff I have used) and I don't run anything very hard. I only have a pair of 10 inch kicker marines and 4 6.5 sony marines. The suck factor is the need to run a mile of 4 gauge wire.

I was going to mount a single 6 channel under the seat but I run into space problems with 2 6.5's and 2 10's back there. My old Optidrive is 23 inches long. Outside of building a bracket to clear the drivers, I am hosed.
Old 04-01-2004, 09:27 AM
Registered

If you don't use the fridge - pull it out, and then you'll have plenty of room!

If not, how about mounting the amp under the passenger's dash on the wall that faces the cabin? I am looking at that too. Not my favorite place, but should get plenty of room, cooling, and access to adjust gain / crossovers, etc. I might put one amp there, the other in the front of the passenger's gunwhale storage compartment. Read that someone mounted a board in there, and screwed the amp to that before.

I need to put the same speakers in the back seat - two 10" subs, and two 6 1/2" rounds. Have you cut the holes yet? I think that it is both glass and plywood there...
Old 04-01-2004, 10:55 AM
Registered

Red Dog has a great set-up for mounting a rack on the port side just forward of the "door" to the storage area. He hooked the board into the bolts that hold the bolster in place. Kept the amp dry and out of sight.

Insofar as holes are concerned, I checked mine the other weekend and the thing seems to be one piece- I thought it was two and Red Dog says it is two. I am simply not sure.

I am going down this weekend to take one final shot at it. It would be simpler to just buy two amps but I love my old Opti . . .