Notices
Formula

Formula Standing Behind What They Sell

Old 05-27-2004, 05:13 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Formula Standing Behind What They Sell

I agree with Rippem, the over heating and destruction of the engine(s) was not Formula's problem. If the warning horn wasn't working from the time you purchased it, it's your fault for not getting it fixed. It's also your fault for not watching the gages.
My temp warning horn doesn't work right now either. But that doesn't excuse me from not paying attention to the gages.

If you read Formula's warranty it states that the engine is warrantied by Mercury and not Formula. Actually it doesn't state that, what it does say, I believe, is that all components not manufactured by Formula are warrantied by the original manufacturer.
Old 05-27-2004, 07:39 AM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

Hey, I don't mind someone offering a counterpoint to the established jist of this thread...but make it legit 'ya know?

My screen name? No idea.......

Last edited by Rippem; 05-27-2004 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-27-2004, 10:07 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this will do no good as you guys already think I am an idiot, but I will restate the facts:

- Alarm horn did not work (I had it checked before incident, dealer said it was fine "that is normal", after incident they said it was bad)

- Boat was only 2 months old

- Gage worked but was wrong (reading near normal at operating temp, but stopped at 200 degrees)(yes I watched it)

Talking to Formula, I was told to go through dealer, no support no escalation procedure offered, bad dealer which is now out of business

I realize that I overheated the engine, but I would not have driven it had the alarm horn worked or the gauge been right to tell me that it was that hot!

No reason for anymore responses, I learned my lesson(s):

- no more low water pickups (everyone that has had them where I boat has had blockage problems)

- boats need a water pressure in addition to a water temp gages

- learn as much about the dealer's reputation as the boat's reputation (I did a lot of research on the 271 Formula but bought from the only dealer in the area, no reserach on them)

- no more "Blue paint" motors for me, I have been boating for nearly 45 years (over 30 with my own boats all, except pontoon, with Black Merc motors, both outboard and I/O) and I have never had repeat troubles (or costs) like I am having with the HP (from now on a good ole 502 MAG or 496HO will do just fine)

- good, honest marine mechanics are hard to find (boat worked on by a different mechanic/shop when piston burned, seventeen run hours later it blew a head gasket and hydraulicd two cylinders)
Old 05-27-2004, 04:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All that being said, the boat is great when it runs, good looking and well built.

My point is the dealer has as much or more to do with your total satisfaction as the manufacturer
Attached Thumbnails Formula Standing Behind What They Sell-boat-cumberland-cropped.jpg  
Old 05-27-2004, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boatinbill

- no more low water pickups (everyone that has had them where I boat has had blockage problems)

- good, honest marine mechanics are hard to find (boat worked on by a different mechanic/shop when piston burned, seventeen run hours later it blew a head gasket and hydraulicd two cylinders)
Have to agree with both of the above. Low water pickups on my 382 often suck up seaweed in the late summer and I usually end up going for a dip to relieve the problem (and sometimes one of a different nature, too). I'm swithcing to lower casings with the three smaller holes instead of one big one to attempt to improve/alleviate this problem.

Have been ripped off too many times by "expert" mechanics in this industry and have learned to do most everything by myself. It is good to have good mechanical experience and intimate knowledge of your boat if something breaks down or fails miles away from shore!
Old 05-27-2004, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 42 Likes on 11 Posts

ageed, the dealer's performance under such circumstances is everything