AC on Formula 353

Notices
Formula

AC on Formula 353

Old 05-28-2004, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC on Formula 353

Is it possible to add Air on the 35? Looked through a lot of adds but never saw one on 35 with air?
Old 05-29-2004, 01:48 AM
Registered

Default Re: AC on Formula 353

A few years ago I bought my 1997 271 FASTech from a guy that had moved up to a 353 FASTech. I asked him to show me the new boat and while doing so he pointed out an A/C unit he had a shop install in the cabin up front under the berth. I believe he had to sacrifice the water pump and tank to place the unit in that location. I remember this clearly as we sat there and discussed the installation and the downside of losing the water system. He was trying to come up with an idea on how to get the H2O working again by locating a pump & tank system somewhere else in the boat. He told me the A/C worked great on shorepower at the marina but as there is no genset on a 353 it couldn't be used out on the water without some type of portable generator brought along. I assume it's way too much current draw for an inverter without sucking the batteries dry pretty quickly. So, it can be done but I don't have any recollection of the Mfg. of the marine A/C unit nor the boat shop that did the work. I do remember that it looked factory stock though. The shop he used (Houston, TX area) did a good job integrating it into the cabin. Good luck with your project!
Old 05-29-2004, 03:28 AM
Registered

I'm not familiar with 353--but I've got an SR357 with a/c. The factory used a King Air unit and it fits in cabinet on starboard side of cabin. Mermaid Air and a few other offer even smaller units thna mine and prices are around 1200 for reverse cycle heat and cool unit.

I added a 5KW generator to my boat to be able to run ac "off the cord" because it does suck up some watts.

I think the reloaction of water tank and pump isn't such a goodplan--there have to a few place to put the self contained unit--check sizes especially of mermaid and king--they both have small footprint 9000btu units--which is what I have and it's more than sufficient here in central FL.

Poorsche
Old 05-29-2004, 07:46 AM
Registered

Poorsche gave you great and correct info. Follow his lead........
Old 05-29-2004, 11:39 PM
Registered

I have been looking for the same thing for my 353 2001

here is a link of what I have been looking at http://www.cruisair.com/cruisair/self.html also have another company but its at work will post later for link...

The zephyr model is very compact and adequate for our size boat
The spot I am looking at is under the sink ,may have to remove sink though..don't use it that much and I have the transom shower to wash off with..
other spot is front v-birth seat storage spot /only draw back weight in front of boat..

Keep me informed on your findings and I will do the same...
Old 05-30-2004, 01:04 AM
Registered

Check out Mermaid Marine Air in Ft Meyers. Their unit has the smallest footprint and sell direct at super reasonable prices. The device they call the Condensator is a great idea in that it makes it possible to aviod draining condensate into sump under step -- the condensate goes overboard with the cooling water.

When you install air under sink or under v-berth the unit is lower than the tray along the cockpit side and the condesate pan must gravity drain so only other alternative is the run into are under step using a shower sump like RUle or Attwood makes and you never get rid of all the water that way.

http://www.mmair.com/

http://www.mmair.com/product/9000.html

http://www.mmair.com/product/Condensator.html

Poorsche
Old 05-30-2004, 09:32 AM
Registered

Red face Re: AC on Formula 353

Thanks a bunch. I have installed air before. It takes a little work. Not having the drain to bilge is a big plus. Since I don't own a 353 yet(air was a must for my wife and kept boat off my favorites), seems like it would take a less pounding under sink. What engines are you running in your Formula? Bob
Old 05-30-2004, 01:51 PM
Registered

Boat came with Mercruiser TRS370 package. Engines got f'd up by lousy mechanic when he replace exahst manifolds wrong and engine hydrolocked. Now powered with Marine Power EFI 454's with fresh water cooling system.

The EFI and FWC was almost wiorth cost of repower--

Poorsche