manifold/riser replacement - how hard?? >

manifold/riser replacement - how hard??

Notices
Formula

manifold/riser replacement - how hard??

Old 06-13-2004, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: manifold/riser replacement - how hard??

Not a problem ...the offer stands ...we are South of Jax and I can be down there in less than 4 hours ...like to werk on things and NEED to learn ....mb
Old 06-13-2004, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, I'll keep you posted. The "Formula" guest room is always open. Complete with cold beverages.
Old 06-13-2004, 09:53 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FO,
One thing to keep in mind , when I replaced mine on my 272 with Imco Powerflows the elbows were longer and were closer to the stern. When I replaced the rubber exhaust hose , the hoses on the outside pipes were at quite an angle.(the center pipes were straight)
After 5 minutes of hitting the throttles I burned a hole in the sides of the pipes because the exhaust was blowing rught against it
I wound up using stainless all the way to the stern , with just rubber couplers were it met the elbows and stern
See pipe on the right side of picture
Attached Thumbnails manifold/riser replacement - how hard??-dsc00584.jpg  
Old 06-14-2004, 07:49 AM
Registered

"MO" do you mean that the angle of the outside pipies ran in towards the center of the boat rather than "up or down"? From what I can tell in the photo, the "inside" pipe runs straight back and the outside pipe looks like it's running back towards the "center" of the boat. Why did it do that? Did the stock exhaust do the same thing. Doesn't make sense to me that one side would run straight back, but the other side wouldn't if the original system ran straight back. Did that make sense? My stock units both run straight as an arrow back to the stern, and of course I won't know about the angle (up or down) is the same until their mounted, but eyeballing and measuring with a tape measure it appears to be extremely close. I was worried that if the angle downward changed significantly it might cause the exhaust to burn through the rubber. I held one of the new risers against the old stock riser and the angle seems to match.

My biggest worry is breaking off bolts. Anybody got feedback on what is the best "penetrating" oil to use. Come to think of it I probably should just ask Troutly, I'm sure he has a PHD in "penetrating oils".

Did you change yours over with the motors in the boat, or did you pull the motors? I'm sure you must have less room than I do. Thanks for the input.
Old 06-14-2004, 10:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
"Jay' what would you recommend using as a sealant on the riser gasket, or is RTV a "brand" name? I put a set of Hooker Headers on my 70 Ram Air IV GTO, and that was a major hassle. Someone stated that leaking was a problem on the stainless risers but not the aluminum ones. I don't know why there would be a difference but I certainly don't want to take any chances.
It's made by Permatex, any motorparts store (Napa, etc) will have it. Just use a small amount on the manifold surface between the gasket for extra insurance that you have a solid seal. As you said that the aluminum ones are probably less prone to leaks, but using a bit of sealant won't hurt.

Call around and get some quotes for the job, then weigh the B.S. vs $$ of doing it yourself.
Old 06-14-2004, 11:16 AM
Banned

I don't use a sealant on the riser gaskets. I do however run a file over the surfaces to be sure they are flat. You will be surprised how much the Merc one's are not flat.
Old 06-14-2004, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

wonder if you could have a "head" shop clean em up ?
Old 06-14-2004, 12:53 PM
Registered

If you mean "the Merc ones are not flat" and are talking about the manifolds, I'm not using the Merc units, rather the Thunder EMIs. I put a straight edge across them and they look to be right on.
Old 06-14-2004, 04:02 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FO,
My new elbows from Imco were longer and came back further than the stock Merc ones. Center two pipes were dead one straight. From the factory , bone stock silent thunder , the outside two angled in a very little. but whith the laonger elbows , it put it close to the stern and the angle greater. Here's another shot
Attached Thumbnails manifold/riser replacement - how hard??-540s.jpg  
Old 06-14-2004, 04:39 PM
Registered

Yeah, I see what you mean. That shot really shows it. Some mean lookin' carbs atop those babies.

Quick Reply: manifold/riser replacement - how hard??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.