manifold/riser replacement - how hard?? >

manifold/riser replacement - how hard??

Notices
Formula

manifold/riser replacement - how hard??

Old 06-11-2004, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question manifold/riser replacement - how hard??

As some of you know, I'm getting ready to replace my exhaust manifolds and risers with Thunder EMI units, thanks to Too Old, on my 89' 311 SR1. Now I'm pretty mechanically inclined and a buddy of mine has convinced me that he and I can do it ourselves without pulling the motors. I'd like to cause I'd like to save the money from having my local "guru" do it. HOWEVER, do you guys think I'm biting off more than I want to chew? I spent over an hour just looking at it tonight and I see a whole lot of hassle here. Anybody done this on their 311 and just how bad was it. I don't mine a difficult job, but I don't want to jump off a bridge over it either. Feedback would be appreciated.
Old 06-12-2004, 03:00 AM
Registered

Default Re: manifold/riser replacement - how hard??

I'm not familar with your particular boat, however I believe most of them are similar. I replaced the manifolds on my old boat and it was a piece of cake, they simply bolt right up. I don't see why it'd be necessary to remove the engine.
Old 06-12-2004, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hey Russ when you going to do it ? I dont think it would be so bad ...talked to one guy that did it and after removal of old manifolds packed some old towels down below the manifolds and then sat th new ones in place. The weight was the major thing ...would love to get some experiance pulling motors too ...THAT would be the easiest way ..(in a way) ....
Old 06-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Depends on a few things. If the bolts are REAL rusted then it will be kind of hard. WARM THE MOTOR UP before you start. The heat of the motor/exhaust will help to loosen stuff up. Ussually the stuff comes apart ok as long as you have done your maintenence on the boat. Once the stuff is apart a trick that I use is to take a threaded rod, or cut off the head of a bolt and screw them in first. Then you can slide the gasket and manifold over them and use them as an alignment device. Once you have a couple more bolts in holding the manifold in then you can take those out and put the normal bolts in. After you warm it up a couple times you need to recheck the torque of the bolts.

Jon
Old 06-12-2004, 08:06 AM
Registered

Thanks, Jon, that idea about the threaded rod is killer. Russ
Old 06-12-2004, 06:35 PM
Registered

As long as the new systems lines up with the old on the transom, it should just be a remove and replace. One thing to note is that the old iron manifolds will be much heavier than the ones you're putting on (assuming they are aluminum.) Not a big deal, but something that suprised me when I removed a manifold from my 272.
Old 06-12-2004, 07:58 PM
Registered

Those are in there tight on the 311, but can be done. The threaded rod idea is a really good one. One expansion on that idea that I use is to cut a slot in the end of the rod so you can stick a screwdriver in there for easy removal. If you get a stuck bolt, that would stink royal, so keep a torch handy, and hopefully some air tools too. I like impact wrenches and air rachets for old stuck exhaust bolts. Also have a screw extractor kit, tap and die set, and nice sharp drills around just incase you snap a bolt off. Did your kit come with new bolts? If not I'd buy a new set of stainless ones anyways, cheap insurance. Don't forget RTV sealant for the riser gaskets, as EMI is known for leaks there - don't want to be dumping water on your exhaust valves!

Good luck, and enjoy the mechanic lifestyle!
Old 06-12-2004, 11:04 PM
Registered

"Jay' what would you recommend using as a sealant on the riser gasket, or is RTV a "brand" name? I put a set of Hooker Headers on my 70 Ram Air IV GTO, and that was a major hassle. Someone stated that leaking was a problem on the stainless risers but not the aluminum ones. I don't know why there would be a difference but I certainly don't want to take any chances.

I gotta just sit down and realistically figure how long it's gonna take, and if it's worth that much time as opposed to working a job and paying somebody else to do it.

Yeah, I'm planning on going with all new stainless bolts anyway. Am also dropping the silent thunder box and going with new six inch long (exterior) thru hulls. I've never liked those rectangular exhaust tips on the silent thunder box.
Old 06-13-2004, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Russ ....Thought you were doing it this weekend ? If its going to be a week or so I might be able to come down and lend a hand tearing your boat apart ..err I mean fixing it ...might be two weeks before I could get away ...let me know when you decide to do it ...We are close to getting lift ready in the boathouse ...Once that is done I can take a few days off ..However I might have the trailer sold to a guy in NY and might meet him in NC next weekend .. Always something ...
Old 06-13-2004, 09:55 AM
Registered

Mike, thanks for the offer, that is more than generous considering you're in in Jacksonville. I need to have this "kidney stone" ordeal I've been going through since May 11 to either calm down enough so I can do something or desperately hoping that my third surgery on the 23 of June will finally fragmentize these stones so I can pass them. I've still got this stent in me which my body does is rejecting and I have to stay on constant medication. I can only stay on my feet for about two maybe three hours at a time before I have to get off them. And contorting around in a bilge right now is completely out of the question. What I'm going to do, either way, is do as much as the prep work as I can. I'll get the silent thunder box off without a problem, and start clearing out everything I can under the hatch to swap the exhaust. Worst case scenario is I might have my local mechanic (who is extremely good) do the worst of it. He's willing to work with me as much as possible.

Back on Tuesday night, May 11, when I had my first "stone attack" I never ever thought it would turn into a seven week nightmare. I've had two "shock wave" surgeries and the last one just broke the stone into two very large and jagged fragments. They can't pass on their own in their present state. I had one move around a little Thursday and thought I was going to die. I ate 12 Percocette tablets in less than three hours just to keep from having to go to the emergency room, again.
This third surgery, is a differnt, much stronger machine and the doctors have told me it has yet not met the stone it didn't break up. Irregardless, I've lost two months of my summer, both boating and working. Even with my insurance, my copays at this point are approaching 3K. As much *****ing as I've done about insurance I guess I'll shut up now. Otherwise I'd be in hock for over 65K at this point. The cost of basic health care has got to be the most outrageous single issue the American people have to deal with now. It makes the current fuel costs look like the most minor inconvienence in the history of the world.

Thanks again for your offer to come down and help, but one way or another, it's under control. When I do get it up and running, one of the first things I want to do is trailer to Jacksonville, hook up with you so we can run the St. Johns together. Am really looking foreward to your doing that.

Remember, we have two major races here in Sarasota this year. The Suncoast Offshore Grand Prix over the July 4th weekend, and the Sarasota Offshore Showdown August 27-29th. I'm on the Race Committee for the SOS race, chairman of the tow/patrol/turn boat committe and poker run committe as well as the "Course Captain". Come on down and I'll hook you up right. Again thanks Mike. Russ

Quick Reply: manifold/riser replacement - how hard??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.