BravoI impeller replacement

Notices
Formula

BravoI impeller replacement

Old 07-06-2004, 12:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BravoI impeller replacement

I recently purchased a 1989 242LS with a 502 and BravoI outdrive. I had the boat out this weekend and the engine temperature began to rise. I checked the exhaust and no water was coming out. I'm not sure when the last time the impeller was changed, so it seemed like a good place to start. This is my first boat with a Bravo and I'm hoping the impeller is located someplace easy to reach, like the outdrive.

Last edited by Waterdogs; 07-06-2004 at 01:06 PM.
Old 07-06-2004, 12:35 PM
merlin540

Default Re: BravoI impeller replacement

its a pump mounted low on the engine. its a simple repair. some pumps have a plastic housing that will get torn up with the impellor and you will have to replace that also. if its a cast housing just replace the impellor. take the water line off at the oil cooler and get the pieces of the old impellor out of there and you should be fine. see ya

Old 07-07-2004, 05:51 AM
Registered

A 242LS with a 502 sounds like fun! I have 242 with a 454 magnum that I just bought in the spring.

I replaced the impeller twice. Both times I tried to run the motor with a garden hose and the motor didn't get enough water and destroyed the impeller. I am wiser now.

Kneeling on the bench of your 242 and looking to the stern, the pump is on the bottom left of the motor, driven by a belt.

It is PITA to remove and replace, but can be done with some patience. Access to the pump in a 242LS is tight. You either need to climb in the engine compartment or hang upside down to access the bolts that hold it in there. Here is what I did:

1. Disconnect hoses running to the pump. Held on by hose clamps. It make take some effort to get them loose. Make sure you remember which hose is which. One hose is the water supply coming up for the stern drive, the other is output to the oil cooler on the right side of the motor. Make a note of the water intake on the pump. The housing should be labeled too.

2. There are three bolts that hold the pump in place. Remove those bolts and the fan belt. This will take some effort and cursing, again it's tight in there. The best part is when you drop sockets deep into the bilge and have to retrieve them

3. Remove pump and bracket, get out of engine compartment.

4. Note how the pump is assembled. I think there are five or six bolts holding the pump housing to the bracket. Three of them go all the way through and have bolts on the end. Remember which is which.

5. Disassembly pump. Count the rubber fan vanes. If you are missing vanes they are most likely sitting at the opening to the oil cooler. Remove the hose at the entrance to the oil cooler. The oil cooler is a honeycomb looking thing so the vanes are probably sitting there. You need to make sure those are removed so that the water flows freely.

6. Buy a new impeller and housing kit...this will include the proper gasket.

7. Install impeller into housing. It helps if you lube up the housing with some dishsoap or something. You notice quickly that the impeller doesn't just slip in there. I used cable ties to flatten out the vanes, install the impeller and then cut the cable ties.

8. Bolt everything back together.

9. Reinstall pump and bracket. When I did this I put the belt on first, and then the three bolts. I installed them loosely and then tightened the belt and then tightened the belt.

Good luck. Also, what is your top speed with a 502 and what prop are you running?

Chuck
Old 07-07-2004, 11:41 AM
Registered

Thanks for all the info. I think I know what I'm up against now. The boat is running a 24Pitch 4 blade prop. Top speed so far is around 64MPH, but I really haven't trimmed it out and gone for it yet. This is my first deep V boat, so I'm still getting used to how it reacts in rough water. The engine has a Cutler multi port fuel injection system on it, I'm told it's putting out around 500 horse. The boat is a blast to drive.
Old 07-12-2004, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Waterdogs
The engine has a Cutler multi port fuel injection system on it, I'm told it's putting out around 500 horse. The boat is a blast to drive.
Sounds like a nice boat. However, I think 500 hp is a little optimistic for a 502 with fuel injection. It would take more engine mods than that to realize 500 horses. Plus, with 500 horses, your 242 should be topping 70 mph pretty easily. Just my .02 (I'm getting poor with all the .02 I spew!!!)

Anyway, enjoy the boat. It sounds like a nice setup. Got any pics??
Old 07-19-2004, 11:29 AM
Registered

Ya, I know what your saying about the horse power. The original owner lives around the corner, he did all the upgrades to the boat. He saw me getting towed in the other day and wants to get together. I should be able to get more precise info on the engine from him. The guy I bought it from (the 2nd owner) drove it around for a couple of years and didn't do any upgrades, so he's probably not the best source of info. I attached a few pictures of the boat. I'm going down to the boat today to have a look at what's involved with replacing the impeller. From what I saw the other day, it's not good.
Attached Thumbnails BravoI impeller replacement-dscn0055.jpg   BravoI impeller replacement-engine.jpg   BravoI impeller replacement-side.jpg  

Old 07-19-2004, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The sun's been killing us down here in FLa ....I was considering a Bimini ... Until I saw that pic !!!! ...boy it kills the looks ....but I know its effective .... About "learning" about cranking the motor on the hose .....you saying that now you wont at all ? I need to flush my motors ...and have learned as long as you have plenty of water and keep it at Idle you should be ok ?
Old 07-19-2004, 12:16 PM
Registered

I boat on the northern california delta system. The boat is on a hoist off my back deck. From my dock to fast water is about 20 minutes. When the temp starts getting in the 90's and above, the bimini stops the baking. I know it looks goofy, but it's nice sipping on a cold one in the shade, while I'm idling out to fast water.