Boarded By The Coast Guard

Notices
Formula

Boarded By The Coast Guard

Old 07-22-2004, 07:37 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Boarded By The Coast Guard

RedDog, sorry I can't really answer all your questions. Yes, I did have firearms on board, but I have held a concealed weapons permit for almost twenty five years now, and I don't go anywhere without at least my Baretta 40.

I know that the Supreme Court years ago (like 20 or more) ruled the same "rules/rights" you enjoy with your home were extended to boats, automobiles, and airplanes. Some states have superceded that with firearms laws, but if I was busted I'd fight it hard.

Here in Florida, you can legally carry a pistol in an auto/truck if it takes two distinct motions to get at it. I.E., keeping it in the glove box inside a "pistol mitt" or box or whatever. You can't just shove it under the front seat.

I keep my concealed weapons permit next to my driver's license. I have never been hassled about a weapon, although one cop once remarked he didn't like my choice of bullets, Black Talons.

I'm one of those "neanderthals" that believes I actually have the right to protect myself.

I was involved in a pistol/rifle club up north for nine years, Secretary for four. I've debated politicans on gun control laws on four occasions, much more than just holding my own against them.

I would check your state to see if any "rules" apply.

Also, if you carry a gun across state lines, MAKE SURE it's disassembled into at least two pieces, and ammo is stored seperately from the gun. With a revolver, simply removing the cylinder is usually enough. With an semi-automatic handgun, sometimes just removing the clip is enough, but I would take the barrel off just to make sure.

So far, we are not required to "register" weapons, although when you buy one the records are kept but not supposed to be sent to the police. With pawn shops the laws differ a little, but if those records are sent to the police, at least here in Florida they have to discard after 30 days. Each state is a little different.

Note: states with the highest gun owership per capita, have the lowest crime rates. That's probably the one statistic that just bugs the living chit out of the "liberals" that just want "group hugs".

Hope this helps. Russ

Last edited by Formula Outlaw; 07-22-2004 at 07:44 AM.
Old 07-22-2004, 05:55 PM
Registered

We have been boarded several times , mostly to check the safety equipment and paperwork. Never by coast guard though for inspection, once by coasties when the boat was taking on water and thought she was sinking and we called for help on VHF. The guys were top notch. The random checks have always police (locally we have water officers) or FWC officers. They have been very courteous and I don't see it as a hassle. I finally got one of the coats guard inspection stickers at local ramp the other week , they say that reduced the likelihood of them picking you at "random" to check over stuff. We shall see if that holds true.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw

Here in Florida, you can legally carry a pistol in an auto/truck if it takes two distinct motions to get at it. I.E., keeping it in the glove box inside a "pistol mitt" or box or whatever. You can't just shove it under the front seat.
Russ, the actual statute reads that it can be carried in a vehicle as long as it is "securely incased". Then it even goes on to say that a glove box or console qualifies it as "securely incased". A soft pistol case qualifies too.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:07 PM
Banned

Marine Patrol was checking me one time on the Homossassa River. He asked if I had any weapons. I looked furitively around and replied in a low voice, "What do you need?"

Old 07-22-2004, 07:25 PM
Registered

OF COURSE you were singled out. It was you they boarded, wasn't it. What's the big deal if you don't have any smallpox virus or cocaine hidden in your bolsters? When you catch fire 20 miles offshore who you gonna call, ghostbusters?

TIP: Have your boat documented. It makes it easier for the Coasties to identify you from a distance. And if you get boarded, be gracious. Show 'em your flares and life jackets and they'll be on their way. Look at it from their side; they never know when they're going to pull over a boatload of bandidos with automatic weapons.
Old 07-23-2004, 04:58 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=cuda] I looked furitively around and replied in a low voice, "What do you need?"
[/QUOTE

Old 07-27-2004, 07:24 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I hear also that having the entire female crew flash them helps
Old 07-27-2004, 11:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I remember my dad paying off the local Coast Guard patrol with two cases of beer. They never bothered us again.
Used to be when the Coasties pulled your boat off a sand bar, towed you home, or helped you out in some way, the usual pay was a case or two. How times have changed.