Notices
Formula

End of an era: The "Refrigerator" goes to the paint shop

Old 07-21-2004, 10:12 AM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default End of an era: The "Refrigerator" goes to the paint shop

Dropped the boat off at the painters yesterday, and will pick it up on the 30th. Troutly will have to find a new name to pick on me with. Below are pictures of the boat as it currently sits and the paint scheme I'm going to use (on a 400SS). This is a special, highly-refective silver that is custom-mixed for Formula. If you've seen this paint, it almost makes the boat look like it's coated in stainless steel. The accent strip will be black with a light coat of silver flake over the top of it. Can't wait!
Attached Thumbnails End of an era: The "Refrigerator" goes to the paint shop-400ssplatinum.jpg   End of an era: The "Refrigerator" goes to the paint shop-382rightliftsm.jpg  
Old 07-21-2004, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: End of an era: The "Refrigerator" goes to the paint shop

Say it ain't so! Are you going to have to change the bimini to match???
Old 07-21-2004, 08:30 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 32 Likes on 17 Posts

C-Spray, I like that color. I also like those 40ss, I think they are awesome for the amount of room, I just wish they could get the speeds up a little more in the 70mph range. Post pics when finished, Thanks Jeff
Old 07-21-2004, 11:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JASSMAN
I also like those 40ss, I think they are awesome for the amount of room, I just wish they could get the speeds up a little more in the 70mph range.

Bet I could get there with my 650 H.P. Sterlings stuffed into one! I could probably smoke those Bravo #3's real fast that way, too!
Old 07-22-2004, 04:29 AM
Charter Member #655
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it white!!!
Old 07-22-2004, 06:27 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hoo boy ..gona be sweet ...just wondering ..they painting the whole boat ? Or just the Silver ?
Old 07-22-2004, 07:20 AM
Registered

This is at least the fourth time I've been in this thread.

I like the white too. But them again as a rule of thumb, I like the KISS approach.

I think white just makes a boat look longer. I know a lot of people don't care for the all white look, I just think it's "classically beautiful". When you look out on the water and see an offshore boat cranking on the water, there's just something a little special about if if it's white. While I do like some of the more "modern" paint jobs, I still just personally prefer to keep it simple.

I've never seen that particular color except in the brochures. Would have to see one before I could decide if I liked a "stainless steel" look on the side of a boat.

The only thing that matters is if YOUR happy with it. Looking forward to seeing it finished. Russ
Old 07-22-2004, 12:25 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

The real reason for the paint is that the raw gel coat stains very badly here in the upper Chesapeake. Within 5 minutes of being in the water, it looks like we've been in for a week. The Imron will wipe right off without harsh cleaners. There will be no paint above the rubrail except for some deck accents, but everthing below the rail will be painted, including the bottom (will stay white).

I like the classic all-white look, but after 4 1/2 years, I'm ready for something different and classy. No offense to the OuterLimits gang, but some of the paint jobs now are so ornate, you can't even see a pattern to them.

Troutly - 400SS's are already running around with 525/B3x's. Rumor has them at 62-63 mph. There's also one (Scott Porter's boat) about to hit the water with the new Volvo Penta fly (and shift!)-by-wire 370 hp diesels.
Old 07-22-2004, 07:09 PM
Banned

Chuck, you skipped right over the bimini question!
Old 07-22-2004, 07:13 PM
Banned

A lot of guys want fancy paint on their boat to be a little "different", but if you think about it, if you have an all white boat, when's the last time another all white performance boat pulled up next to you.

I think what Chuck is doing is in keeping with the persona of a Formula, which is "Classy". Some of these new paint jobs remind me of a two bit hooker trying to paint herself up to look good.

Quick Reply: End of an era: The "Refrigerator" goes to the paint shop

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.