Notices
Formula

I'm Thinking about buying a Formula

Old 07-29-2004, 08:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: I'm Thinking about buying a Formula

Originally Posted by CMG
If 70 mph is your goal, I'd think twice. I seriously doubt it will do 70. It weighs about 9,400 lbs and I've yet to see 500 hp's push one that fast. It would be nice to see a/c and bravos on a 89 too.
CMG - Gordo's old 357 had 502's pushing about 500 hp (not HP 500's, but probably close enough power-wise) and that boat went about 70, so it's definitely possible.

Also on that weight boat, trannies probably aren't a bad thing. As mentioned, if that boat was converted over to Konrads at some point, that setup probably would be very strong, much stronger than a bravo setup. With HP 500 motor's already in it, it could be worth it to get the new drives if you were planning to use it for at least a few years before selling it.

The asking price seems a bit high, but there is a lot of $$ tied up in those HP 500's. Again, if you really like it and were planning to keep it for a while, could be worth somewhere around that price.
Old 07-29-2004, 10:40 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

That boat is in Mass, and there is not much freshwater there, None actually, I have seen this boat around for sale for some time, I would be leary of the trs drives at this point they will be obsolete soon, survey, compression check and a leakdown test would be in order before i would consider this boat, If everthing goes well i would pull the trigger on it i owned a 87 272 and i can tell you anything in the late 80's with formula was a outstanding boat and still is today, thats what got formula back on the map, Jeff
Old 07-29-2004, 11:51 AM
Registered

c.c240

I have an 86 357w/kaamas and I love the boat. Lots of room and a good ride. Sure they are a little older but they still don't look dated and and are a little bigger than todays 35 footers. I agree that a survey and other mech. checks are in order but if it checks ok you will love the boat.
Old 07-29-2004, 11:55 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jaybird
CMG - Gordo's old 357 had 502's pushing about 500 hp (not HP 500's, but probably close enough power-wise) and that boat went about 70, so it's definitely possible.

Also on that weight boat, trannies probably aren't a bad thing. As mentioned, if that boat was converted over to Konrads at some point, that setup probably would be very strong, much stronger than a bravo setup. With HP 500 motor's already in it, it could be worth it to get the new drives if you were planning to use it for at least a few years before selling it.

The asking price seems a bit high, but there is a lot of $$ tied up in those HP 500's. Again, if you really like it and were planning to keep it for a while, could be worth somewhere around that price.

Jaybird how much are those Konrads?
Old 07-29-2004, 11:58 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Perfectmix
c.c240

Sure they are a little older but they still don't look dated .

Do what I'm in the process of doing, swap out the rub rail to white and buff off some of the black paint on the middle of the deck. strongly considering white hatches too.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:02 PM
Registered

CMG

You gonna paint your hatches or go with new? I heard white hatches really dress things up.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:14 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Don't know yet, dealer told me to paint but I don't want it to look cheesy. new hatches aren't cheap though. Still researching.
Old 07-29-2004, 12:39 PM
Banned

Are the engines HP500's or 500 hp engines? The HP's with low hours make is worth more. If you're easy on the throttles, I think the TRS will serve you well.

I also have an 80's Formula, and I love it. Check out the original 18 year old bolsters. Formula uses quality stuff.
Attached Thumbnails I'm Thinking about buying a Formula-jgriffh.jpg  
Old 07-29-2004, 01:01 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Originally Posted by cuda

I also have an 80's Formula, and I love it. Check out the original 18 year old bolsters. Formula uses quality stuff.
I started the updating last year, sun pad was worn, replaced it and rear seat with white, bolsters in good shape also.
Old 07-29-2004, 01:43 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CMG
Jaybird how much are those Konrads?
The Konrads are supposedly going for around $8k through dealer networks. I believe that includes new gimbal housing, trim pistons, and pump. That's close to what a XR is going for, and supposedly these would be a tougher drive than a XR.

A used TRS seems to be selling for $2-4k, so selling the old drives would help to put a dent in the upgrade $$. Not going to happen today for sure for me, but something to ponder on. There are a couple of guys on here with the Konrads, and they seem to be holding up so far under some pretty high HP #'s, and race-type usage.

Quick Reply: I'm Thinking about buying a Formula

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.