Notices
Formula

I'm Thinking about buying a Formula

Old 07-30-2004, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: I'm Thinking about buying a Formula

CMG -

Do you have any pictures of your sun pad and seat? I was thinking of going with all white over the winter. The dark colors are killer when the sun heats them up and white has to be alot cooler. BTW - My bolsters are like new also.

wantsa311 - (Now hasa311)
Old 07-30-2004, 08:56 AM
chriscraft240

Cuda- the motors are hp500, thats probably why the high asking. The TRS's scare me though the rest of the boat is perfect. I might have to do some creative dealing with this one. I dont know. Oh ya brand new myco alum. trailer too. ???? I love this hobby!!!

Old 07-30-2004, 09:06 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by chriscraft240
Oh ya brand new myco alum. trailer too. ???? I love this hobby!!!
Looks like it's sitting on a Nextrail in the picture. Is that not the trailer for the boat ?
Old 07-30-2004, 09:26 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wantsa311
CMG -

Do you have any pictures of your sun pad and seat? I was thinking of going with all white over the winter. The dark colors are killer when the sun heats them up and white has to be alot cooler. BTW - My bolsters are like new also.

wantsa311 - (Now hasa311)
When I get home tonite I'll take a couple pics, if not will do when I take it out tomorrow. In 2 weeks I'll hopefully have pics of the white rub rail too.
Old 07-30-2004, 09:33 AM
chriscraft240

Sorry, yes it is a nextrail, still its new. Here's my wife's question to me. If the boat could be had for lets say 60K, then put 12K into it for new drives. Is it a 72K boat? No of course not I tell her, but............(this is where you guys help me out). I'm thinking I could find something a little newer and already updated for the same $$.

Old 07-30-2004, 11:02 AM
Registered

Are the drives bad now? If not, it's not like you have to upgrade them right away. TRS is a tough drive, used on many high performance boats like Formula, Cigarette, Fountain, etc for a long time even for race applications. So if they are ok today, it's not like they are junky or going to fall off the boat. Actually if you like to run hard, and that boat as big and heavy as it is had Bravo's, you'd probably be spending alot in drive repairs with Bravo's than TRS.

The Konrad option is relatively new, and has generated a fair amount of buzz around here. It appears to be a far superior drive to both the Bravo and TRS. Is it a necessity? Absoultely not. There are plenty of people here who have run TRS for years w/o any problems. Would Konrads be fun to have? Of course! Is it a good investment? That's a tough one to answer. The feeling I get is that you should be able to get parts and service for TRS for a while to come (probably years but no one knows exactly). However, if you spend the money for Konrad drives, and you never break down (jury is still out on reliability, but they look good so far) due to drive failure and loose precious New England boating time...well that is money not lost on slip fees, insurance, Advil, whatever.

I'd say if you could get the seller down a bit more on his price, it would be a decent buy.
Old 07-30-2004, 11:22 AM
chriscraft240

This is one of those deals, dammed if I do, dammed if I don't. I really like the boat,but....reliability is a big factor for me. If I were real gentle with the TRS's, providing they are in good shape now, would they last?? No slip fees, I live 1/2 mile to the ocean. Advil is on sale at walmart!!

Old 07-30-2004, 11:47 AM
Registered

c.c.240

Your in good hands with Formula. I think the fact that thousands of boats w/TRS pushing over 500hp with good reliability is a testimonial for the TRS. You will be happy with the boat. The TRS set-up is very smooth and tough. You don't need to baby them just use common sence and you will be fine. Looks like a nice set-up, price is a little high but if it is as nice as you say, its probably worth it.

Just out of curiosity, is there a reason you are so scared of the TRS? Do they appear to be in rough shape? If the rest of the boat was well cared for there is no reason the drives should be any different.

Good Luck

Josh
Old 07-30-2004, 12:59 PM
chriscraft240

Just scared because of the posts here about future parts problems. This would be a boat I would keep for awhile. 3-4 years, maybe more. The drives look fine on the outside, but if their known to explode, I'm scared. Is airing them out the problem or holeshots??

Old 07-30-2004, 01:35 PM
Registered

Holeshots are not good any any drive when your pushing 10,000+ pounds from a dead stop. And airing out is not the problem as long as your not over reving and slamming back into the water. That will most definately shorted the life of any drive. Just keep the oil clean and full in both the trannies and the drives you should have good luck.

Quick Reply: I'm Thinking about buying a Formula

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.