I'm Thinking about buying a Formula >

I'm Thinking about buying a Formula

Notices
Formula

I'm Thinking about buying a Formula

Old 07-27-2004, 12:52 PM
chriscraft240

Lightbulb I'm Thinking about buying a Formula

Am I crazy or what? This just came in and is really clean. TRS drives,but for the price. What are your thoughts?http://www.southshoredrydock.com/cor...hshoredrydock&

Last edited by chriscraft240; 07-27-2004 at 12:53 PM. Reason: adding link

Old 07-27-2004, 01:12 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: I'm Thinking about buying a Formula

If 70 mph is your goal, I'd think twice. I seriously doubt it will do 70. It weighs about 9,400 lbs and I've yet to see 500 hp's push one that fast. It would be nice to see a/c and bravos on a 89 too.
Old 07-27-2004, 01:40 PM
chriscraft240

No 70 isnt in my future just comfort at 45-50. Should I be that afraid of the TRS's? The problem is that it's so clean and maintained. Around here thats worth the extra.

Old 07-27-2004, 01:58 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

[QUOTE=chriscraft240]No 70 isnt in my future just comfort at 45-50. When someone lies about 1 thing, I expect more Should I be that afraid of the TRS's? No, but being discontiued and will hurt re-sale in future, not an easy swap tp Bravo. [I]I have 89 311 and does have Bravos[/I].The problem is that it's so clean and maintained. Around here thats worth the extra. Up here in the northeast, we should have cleaner boats, we don't have the season to put too many hours on them![/QUOTE]

Where did it come from, salt, fresh water, down south, midwest? I do like the colors though. I'd consider waiting til late fall and find something from Lake Winnipesaukee or Lake George, Sebago.... My boat spent part of its life in salt water (does with me but I trailer and Salt Away) and it does wear on them. Just my .04, good luck
Old 07-27-2004, 02:01 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

BTW, if you are going to buy a boat from the 80's, Formula is the place to start. There is a reason there are so many still around, quality boats.
Old 07-27-2004, 02:52 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck with your purchase. Formula is a great company and fabulous customer support , even for '89s. I have an 89 273 SR-1 last spring I had to replace my cables on my K planes. Called Formula and the gave me the length I needed before I even removed them. Had other questions over the years and they were always there with the answer
Old 07-27-2004, 03:54 PM
chriscraft240

I'm going for a closer look at the drives tonight. CMG- ok ya caught me on the 70 thing,but it would be nice!! Dont know where the boat was from everything in the engine bay is new. We'll see not writing a check just yet, just looking. Thanks for the info!!!

Old 07-27-2004, 03:59 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Last piece of advice - SURVEY. and a good one at that.
Old 07-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd think 70 mph would be possible with two 500hp engines. My '85 357 with two blown 540hp 454s has seen 75 to 77 mph depending on whether you believe GPS or radar. I do, however, wish i would waited and got one newer and without the TRS drives. I blew one drive this year and getting the parts for it and service was a real pain in the *ss. I ended up shipping the whole outdrive to Doller Marine in Florida which took good care of me. Quick turn around and about $2000 to go through the drive. The worst news was that when the drive went it took out the transmission also. The new Konrads look nice but they're also rather expensive. If I were to do it again I'd wait and find something newer with Bravos. I got a great deal on mine but have put a lot of work into it. Just my $.02.
Old 07-29-2004, 06:58 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

When you price it out consider the cost of replacing the TRS drives with the Konrads. If you do that you will have a BULLIT proof drive combo, MUCH better then the TRS and light years better then the Bravo's. I do know that a friend that sold his boat same year same look, brand new (like 10 hours) on 502mpi motors, external steering and on and on, only got like 40,000 for his.

Jon

Quick Reply: I'm Thinking about buying a Formula

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.