311 Engine Hatch Won't Lift

Notices
Formula

311 Engine Hatch Won't Lift

Old 08-02-2004, 06:20 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 311 Engine Hatch Won't Lift

Well. After two weeks of almost daily use I've got my first issue. The engine hatch was working fine when I put her away on Sunday and today it won't lift. It's making a ratchet sound kind of like when it's all the way open but it doesn't move. I lifted it enough to reach in and pull the cross pin and I have it propped open with my gaf pole. Any ideas?
Old 08-02-2004, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: 311 Engine Hatch Won't Lift

Is broke .... .....if thats the worst problem you have ... I dont have a clue though ..sure the battery is not dead ? ...by the way .. if you put the pin up in the clotted part you can still lift the hatch ....
Old 08-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 139 Likes on 84 Posts

Screw jack needs greased. Threads have dried up grease in them. You gotta take the jack out and do some minor surgery on the workbench to do it right.
Old 08-03-2004, 06:36 AM
Registered

The batteries are brand new deep cycles and the engines start fine so I don't think it's an electrical problem. I'll take a look at the slot and use it when I put things back together because it was a beach getting the pin out with the hatch only open a couple inches.

I think I must have ran the hatch too far down the last time I closed it and it ran off the end of the drive. Looks like I can get the jack out by removing the two screws holding it to the center stringer between the engines. (Some gymnastics required.) How about the wires - do I snip 'em or is there a plug somewhere?

Last edited by wantsa311; 08-03-2004 at 06:45 AM.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know about the wires, probably easiest to just snip 'em and resplice/heat shrink back.

I never put my jack in the pinned position, I just use the slot. If you ever loose power you can't getit open if it's pinned.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:43 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's jammed in th down postion. The ratchet sound you hear is a safety clutch slipping. Mine does it all the time.
You have to pull the lift machanism out, remove the screws holding the bottom cover on, remove the top screws that hold the outer cover over the screw jack, take a pair of large channel locks and grab the large gear at the base and turn the chrome sleeve to loosen it. Don't worry, the channel locks won't hurt the gear, it's harder than the plier jaws. Spin the sleeve to the top and generously grease the drive screw. Spin it up and down to distribute the grease then reassemble. Don't forget to grease the gears and bushings in the bottom gear box while it's open.
I may get jammed again. Mine does at least once a year. I've gotten good at tearing it apart and fixing it.
Old 08-03-2004, 11:52 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Bob ...when you lower the hatch where do you stop ? I watch mine and and soon as the "lift" comes off the center ..( you can see it relax) I stop ...and I havent had any problems ...Keep in mind though a whopping 3 months !
Old 08-03-2004, 11:54 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I watch for the same thing, but every once in a while the wife or grandson will run it down till it clicks. Then it's too late.
Old 08-03-2004, 12:40 PM
Registered

Iggy hit it right on the money. Being it was a new to me boat I didn't know how far down it would go. After the hatch was all the way down I just held on 'til I heard the ratchet. (What ever happened to limit switches ???) That was Sunday night and I didn't know I had just created a problem. When I tried to open it Monday - no luck.

Iggy - did you cut the wires so you could have quality time with the lift on the bench?

Last edited by wantsa311; 08-03-2004 at 12:46 PM.
Old 08-03-2004, 01:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

did you cut the wires so you could have quality time with the lift on the bench?
Yes, that's the only way to get it out.
What I'm going to do is solder in a trolling motor connector so I don't have to keep cutting and soldering the wires. The trolling motor connector is the only thing I could find that has the same gage wire as the hatch lift.

What ever happened to limit switches ???
I've been working on a down limit switch diagram. It's a bit complicated right now because of the fact that you reverse polarity to change direction, no separate ground wire. Once I get it right I'll pass it along.

Quick Reply: 311 Engine Hatch Won't Lift

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.