Leaking Fuel Tank >

Leaking Fuel Tank

Notices
Formula

Leaking Fuel Tank

Old 08-23-2004, 05:37 PM
Chine Walker UK

Leaking Fuel Tank

My 311 uses that much fuel its got to be leaking. The whole boat stinks of fuel all the time. Its pumping out white smeggy stuff out the bilge pump, is that fuel?

I actually come off the boat feeling poisoned now. Darn't have a cigarette within 50 metres of it.

There is fuel under the small step when you come into the cabin area, Also the fridge and toliet stink too. Well the toliet stinks because i carn't empty it. I wish that would just leak into the sea.

What sort of nightmare is it taking out the main tank? Do they repair or will it have rotted or ruptered can you get standard plastic ones to fit in??

Old 08-23-2004, 07:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Leaking Fuel Tank

Can't tell you how difficult a job that is on the 311. I have had to replace a tank on another boat, and it's not a good job unfortunately. Also if you don't have a death wish I'd stop using it right away.

Gas tanks in boats are usually throw away items. Yes they can be epoxied, but it's not like a car where the gas can leak onto the ground if the patch fails at some point. What you do is measure all the dimensions and have a shop make one.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:00 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I can not stress enough how you should not be using that boat!!! Taking the tank out is not the easiest thing to have to do but you can get it out in a day, and then get the new one back in in another day or so. Take out the interior, take up the floor, then the fun begins. You need to get all the foam out from around the tank. I used a electric chain saw to cut out all the foam around the tank. It works very well and is fast. It will not damage the glass as long as you are carefull. I suggest dulling the blade some as it really does not need to be sharp. Get as much foam out of there as you can. Then devise a way to lift it out. I have seen it done from pry bars to cranes. you obviously do not care what happens to the old tank, but you do care about what is around it. From there you get the new tank and pour foam.

You get to be everyone's friend as you can fill up all their cars with gas

Jon
Old 08-24-2004, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would NOT only NOT use that boat, I would VERY VERY CAREFULLY remove the batteries. That is without question a potential bomb. And if goes off, anyone near it won't even know it happened.

Do not underestimate the seriousness of this problem.
Old 08-24-2004, 07:51 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DO NOT USE THE BOAT. i just replied to your other thread about fuel usage with big power, didn't know you had a leak. I would be afraid to turn the blowers on with smell of fuel.
DO NOT USE THE BOAT
DO NOT USE THE BOAT
DO NOT USE THE BOAT
DO NOT USE THE BOAT
DO NOT USE THE BOAT
DO NOT USE THE BOAT.
Old 08-24-2004, 11:51 AM
Chine Walker UK

thanks for the advice everyone, i will try to get hold of a decent marine macanic to check out the motors first to see if anything is leaking from fuel lines etc.

I can hear something dripping if you put your head down between the motors.

I didn't want to take the tank out if it may not be leaking.

I first thought with that much modification that the smell may drift out the carbs all the time. But its worse than that.

Gas in the UK has just smashed through the £0.90 per litre mark thats around $1.50.
And the best bit is you don't pay any duty on marine diesel fuel in the UK so thats around £0.35 per litre.

It is fast becoming not viable to run a fast gas boat in the UK, i saw a volvo penta diesel 38' Cigarette for sale which ran at 57 knots.

For that extra 15-20 MPH i am going to go bankrupt!

Old 08-25-2004, 05:15 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

There are 4 unions, the fuel tank, filler, breather and sender on top of the tank (on my 292 anyway) any one of these could be leaking, especially as you don't know what lash ups the previous owner(s) may have done. I had the same problem, a new fuel sender & gasket, 1 new blanking plug and I was hot to trot.
Cheers
M
Old 08-25-2004, 08:22 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have a buddy that had a 312 and the tank was cracked. He had same type of issues as you. Smelling gas in the cabin and extra in the bilge. FYI Wrink
Old 08-25-2004, 02:47 PM
Chine Walker UK

need to have a good check just need some nice weather and time off work.

not much space to work on these things its all motor and chromed bits

may invest in a mirrow on a stick to see where i cannot stick my head

off the shelf wonder cure:

" just empty contents of sachet into fuel tank and relex whilst all leakage problems disappear"