311 Cabin "shift"

Notices
Formula

311 Cabin "shift"

Old 09-07-2004, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 311 Cabin "shift"

Maybe aggressive is just too harsh a word for it . . . "thorough"?
Old 09-07-2004, 02:57 PM
Registered

bford
What makes you think you will need to do structural repair? I have an 86 357 looks similar to yours with kaamas. Are these boats proned to have stringer probems?
Old 09-07-2004, 04:20 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Perfectmix
bford
What makes you think you will need to do structural repair? I have an 86 357 looks similar to yours with kaamas. Are these boats proned to have stringer probems?
Yup every single one of them..... You should be heading to Home Depot to get a chain saw now before the next natural disaster hits...

It all depends on how the boat has been taken care of. How they filled/sealed holes after they drilled them, and how the glass guys did at the factory. Some will be mint and others may look like mine. Most of my damage was due to poor all of the above and owner neglect.

Jon
Old 09-07-2004, 04:49 PM
Registered

Jon
Awesome job on the 302. Cant wait to see the finished product. I was just wondering what led you to dimantle boat. Is there visible signs that indicate potential problems. My boat looks to be in great condition but there are some stress cracks here and there on the deck around the windshield and a few around the rear deck. None on the hull. I have heard this is not a problem just an older boat that is showing some age. I hope that is it. Keep up the good work!
Josh
Old 09-07-2004, 04:55 PM
Registered

While we are off my topic . . . hehehhehehee . . . I am getting some cracking in the center section of the floor aka the gas tank cover. Anyone experienced this? If so, were you able to repair it back to factory sano?
Old 09-07-2004, 06:22 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Perfectmix -

Sorry for the slow reply. I don't necessarily think I need structural repairs but i may. That what sucks. How do you know unless you pull the thing apart? Mine has stress cracking like Seaweasel is talking about. Mine has some in the floor where the driver would put their feet and also at the base of the windshield in the middle of the deck. The boat seems to flex but I understandis pretty normal for the 357.

Audiofn is my hero. I wouldn't take that project on myself. I think I could do it. I just don't know if i have the patience for it and I sure don't have a place to do it. I keep my 357 in a 40'x12' building and there isn't much room to work.

I blew an outdrive and a transmission a the start of the summer and that put a serious hurt in the wallet. I know guys who dump tens of thousands into these old boats and I jsut can't do it. I'd rather buy a newer one and make payments then have to keep coming up with thousands.

So, I think I am going to look to trade or sell mine in a year or two and get something newer. I hate to do it. I really love the boat. I just really worry about the age and not knowing how well it was maintained.

If I did have to have a stringer, bulkhead, etc. replaced I don't have a clue what it would cost but I know it can't be cheap.

Last edited by bford1; 09-07-2004 at 06:26 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:00 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

What started this all out is the transome. When I first got the boat I ran it that first year. Then I pulled the motor and found that the transom inside was delaminated and rotted. I had a guy come over and replace the transome. I was SO pissed that he did a crappy job that I decided that from that point on I would do everything on the boat myself. I then found a guy that has turned out to be a good friend and a UNREAL glass guy that I pump for info all the time. He is arguably what used to be the #1 Foil guy in the world. Now it is all done on CNC so he is a bit of a dinosaur. At any rate I started in the back and have been working forward. The entire stringer grid is rotted out so when I am done with the cockpit then I will start with the cabin.... There were the ussually stress cracks and what not that I knew about but there were also some definate signs of rot if you knew what to look at. If you guys are really stressing out about things, get a guy to put a moisture meter on it or even get a infra red photo taken. The old Formulas they did not totally encapulate the stringers this was a HUGE mistake as water ran down the dash and into the stringer Another 5 bucks in material and the problem would never have happened. I have re-engineered a lot of the boat and we have taken a LOT of weight out with some higher tech solutions. I may to the bow in all foam but we shall see

Jon
Old 09-08-2004, 06:11 AM
Registered

Jon--
I'm not that stressed, just wondering. These old birds are cool. The fact that you are resurrecting the classic 302 is heroic! I had an 81' 302, I loved the boat. First 30 footer I owned. Seemed like a giant at the time. Now everyone has 30'+ boats. Thanks for the reply.

Josh
Old 09-08-2004, 07:31 AM
Registered

Jon, talk about a labor of love. I guess I'm fortunate, my only stress cracks are back by where the engine hatch hinges to the gunale. Am going to take care of these when the hatch is off, which I've decided is a good idea while tackling my exhaust swap out. I'm going to then reinforce the underside of that area with some extra cloth and resin.

Had some stress cracks on the port side of the hull but already had them repaired. So far nothing around the windshield or anywhere on the floor. My stringers in the bilge are fine.

I also have a 311, not a 357.
Old 09-08-2004, 07:34 AM
Registered

Another thought would be to caulk the bottom of the moving head wall in with "5200" on both sides. That should set it permanently in place and would be a less work than glassing it in. Just a thought.

Quick Reply: 311 Cabin "shift"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.