311 Cabin "shift"

Notices
Formula

311 Cabin "shift"

Old 09-08-2004, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: 311 Cabin "shift"

Thanks Jon and Josh. I'd sure like to know more about mine and if there are big repairs in the future. I guess you could call me stressed. Although I do tend to be a worry wort? At least my wife says so. Any idea where I could find a moisture meter or have an infrared pic taken? I'm in Central Texas so it's not exactly the performance boat capital of the world.

Jon - That is sure fortunate to have found someone you can rely on for advice. Given that money wasn't that much of an issue and that you had a quality person do the work - would it have been worth it to have someone do all that work to your 302? I assume that the work would cost more than the boat would be worth but I dunno. What do you think it would cost to re-string a boat? $10,000, $20,000, more?

Brent
Old 09-08-2004, 09:44 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

As for the photo or moisture meter you want to get a survey guy to do that. It is hard to find them.

What would it cost? Well I am guessing in the 20K range to do everything that I have done with the stringers and floors.

Does your boat have a wood or glass front to the cockpit

Jon
Old 09-09-2004, 11:03 AM
Registered

Thanks Jon -

I had the boat surveyed about a year ago and they said everything was solid. However, I know he didn't use a meter or take an infrared picture. I think the survey was really a joke. There were things on the survey they said were a problem that absolutely weren't and there were other things that they missed.

By the front to the cockpit are you referring to the bulkhead separating the cabin from the cockpit? In the front bilge (under the steps to the cabin) it appears that everything is glass except the maybe the steps themselves. I know the floor to the cabin needs replaced. You can see it flex under your feet if you push on the two sides of it. Of course standing in the middle over the stringer it feels solid. My worry is what I may find under the floor when I pull it up.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:59 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

One of the real bad spots was the wall at the front of the cockpit like were your feet would go when you are sitting in the bolster. On my boat it was not only wood with just carpet on it but there was also nothing keeping the water from running down that and into the bulkhead, stringers, foam, and so on. It really was a VERY bad design flaw. I THINK that in 82-84 they changed that and made it glass?

Jon
Old 09-10-2004, 09:17 AM
Registered

Jon - I sent you a PM