Notices
Formula

Expensive weekend!

Old 09-16-2004, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Expensive weekend!

Ramb
Way to air that 272 out!!! Nice pics! Just ran the 357 from Mackinac to Elk Rapids. 100 trouble free miles! It's about time. I hope alj gets that 402 dialed in. I would love to here of that thing doing 70+. As far as the gears go. I've heard that they are pretty easy to change but I have never really looked into it. I bet Cuda could shed a little light on this subject. I have all of the manuals to these things, maybe I should actually read them.
Alj--keep searchin' man! You are going to be a Kaama encyclopedia when your through. Good Luck!

Josh
Old 09-16-2004, 08:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by alj
Hey Cuda,
How's it going. Checked some old correspondence from the previous owner. Says the 375's (or whatever they were) turned about 4500 RPM. That is interesting I think. Any ideas on how to get the RPM range into the league that the F302 KAAMA's are at? I'd like to see at least 5200. Otherwise I'm probably going to need to go back to the drawing board on the engines. New cam to lower the peak HP range to below 5000RPM!???? I'm thinking that the gearing in the drives should be at the 1:1 ratio. Then go from there on the props. I wish someone at Formula that figured these beauties out in 1985 would still be around to tell me what they were doing and thinking back then.Any ideas guys? Hey cuda, can you check the plates on your drives to let me know what your ratio is? It's right after the serial number on the left side of the drive case. I'd be eternally grateful. I'm also going to be visiting in FLA this weekend. I'll be in Tampa but am thinking of running over to Lauderdale for a day or two. Any suggestions on shops to visit to check on used prop availability. I know BAM is in Lauderdale. Anyone else you can think of?
Al, the post above from 302SR1 is the my boat. Bill say's they are 1.54:1, and I'm sure he's right. He did a lot more investigating on the Kamma than I have, he may know where to find props. Shoot him a pm, I'm sure he'll be glad to help. Give Throttle Up a call, they may know where to find them. They are in St Pete, just across the bay from Tampa.
Old 09-16-2004, 09:03 PM
alj
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Ramb...... Can't think of a better way to test KAAMA drives than using them on our new Formula ice boats. Josh- I say we go steal his new boat and use it for parts. What do you think buddy?
Old 09-16-2004, 09:15 PM
alj
Registered

Talking Re: Expensive weekend!

Wait Ramb ....Josh and I have a better idea. We bolt my 540's into the engine bay of your 272 and his 1:1 Kaama's on the back and go out jumpin waves with that setup. What do you guys think? Maybe use my drives as bowthrusters on it . I think thats the hot setup....Al
Old 09-22-2004, 12:11 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Ramb here again.

ah.. yea sure.....!!!!!! but i'm still fixing from the damage cause by last weeks "photo session"

and armchair engineering again, but the 1.54 ...wouldn't that be the trans gearing (along with a 1:1 drive gearing) equal about the conventional 1.5 ratios of today... that makes more sense than a 1.54 drive ratio in the kaamas ....maybe I read wrong......
Attached Thumbnails Expensive weekend!-116-1608_img.jpg   Expensive weekend!-116-1609_img.jpg  

Last edited by Waterfoul; 09-22-2004 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:42 PM
Registered

OUCH!!!
But, I still thinks the pics were worth it. Nice air Ramb!
Old 09-22-2004, 06:29 PM
alj
Registered

Cool Re: Expensive weekend!

Hey Guys,
Back from Florida last night. Cuda, Thanks for the heads up about Matt and Julie at Throttle up props.We went to see them on Friday and bent their ears for about 2 1/2 hours. They are really great people. And they gave me a great education on prop problems. They ran my numbers through their prop computer and my setup should result in 72 mph. They also confirmed that the props broke primarily because of stress cracks that had been there awhile and allowed the inner metals to corrode and weaken the blades at the crack just as IGGY had pointed out. Lesson here.... Have your props checked for cracks guys. Also.... blades coming off of props is a lot more common than we mere mortals think. Second thing we determined... the 8 % overdrive gives me an effective gear ratio of like 1;41 to 1 overall. The Kaama's have two gearing areas , one is the 1:54 to gears in the trannies and the other is the gearset in the drives allowing ...minus 13% (underdrive), minus 8% (underdrive), 1:1 (even gearset); plus 8% (overdrive); and plus 13% (overdrive). I am set up with a plus 8% overdrive while most of you have 1:1 in your KAAMA's. This probably would have been speced out by Formula or KAAMA to accomodate for the increased weight of this boat, or a lower horsepower engine package that may have been used. It would give the boat a lower RPM cruising speed or range and allow it to have better gas mileage. The problem is that with the 24 pitch props, this gear ratio holds the engines in the 4200 to 4400 rpm range at WOT. A BIG problem according to Matt at Throttle UP. At 4400 my engines are now in their peak TORQUE range not peak horsepower range. Torque breaks weak parts (like props)! And if it weren't the props that broke it would simply move along to the next weakest link like shafts or gears or transmissions, etc. (can you say Bravo drives) Anyway the game plan is now pretty interesting. Funny thing about KAAMA's. They are insanely simple mechanisms. Reverse the gears in the drives from plus 8% overdrive and you get minus 8% underdrive. New effective gear ratio?? Now it's a 1.66 to 1. New WOT rpm range is now 5400rpm. Way past peak torque and into peak HP land where engines and drive components like to run and not explode. I will need to change the gears around and I need to find a set of 17 diameter x 24" pitch four blade long hubs to test. When I get the figures on WOT rpm and speed plus planing with those props, Matt and Julie can start tweaking exactly what my final props will be. I need large diameter to aid in stern lift for planing. Smaller than 16.5" doesn't work. And we will start with 24" pitch and go from there. Well these folks really helped steer me in the right direction and I can't recommend them any more highly. Hopefully this will help send them more business. Thanks again for the heads up Cuda. Now....anyone taken a drive apart????
Old 09-22-2004, 06:34 PM
alj
Registered

Re: Expensive weekend!

Oh Ramb,
Nice job there on the platform. Now what can Josh and I get out of that thing for parts????
And will somebody buy this poor guy a membership????
Old 09-22-2004, 08:28 PM
Banned

Glad to be of help alj. Throttle Up have great customer service.
Old 09-24-2004, 04:00 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

i'll trade you my functioning bravos and 25's for your kaamas and 26's ....oh i need your trannies too. and i'll throw in a slightly used swim platform.

sounds like you learned alot and seem to comprehend everything they told you. how simple to switch the gears and get underdrive and pretty smart too.

josh (perfect mix) has pulled his apart and replaced bearings so he may give you pointers on the the gear swap.

what does a stupid membership cost nowdays anyway, and how long does it last...

please excuse my typing errors, do't have time to be grammar correct (waterfoul must cringe when he reads these)

Ramb