Onboard Battery Charger Question... >

Onboard Battery Charger Question...

Notices
Formula

Onboard Battery Charger Question...

Old 10-21-2004, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: Onboard Battery Charger Question...

Outlaw,
I have the exact same problem with 311 battery charger. Humms away, red indicator light glows away, but not a trickle of charge comes out of it. Or, it's coming out but not getting to the batteries.

I gave up on mine long ago just figuring it was toasted. It's a nice charger, a Guest. Replacement cost is like 500 bucks.

So, if anyone has any info for Russ and Dave,,,,,,,,,,,,,, give it up please!!!!
Old 10-21-2004, 12:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 302SR1
If I rember correctly on my 302 you had to have the battery switches in the on position in order for them to charge.

Verify that with Cuda because he's got the boat now and Rumplemintz has killed my long term memory

Bill, does mine have a built in charger??
Old 10-21-2004, 12:49 PM
Registered

Yes the indicator light is uder the fridge in the cabin. It flashes when charging and is constant when charged. Or the other way around I can't remember.(Damn Rumplemintz)
Old 10-21-2004, 01:00 PM
Registered

I actually tried charging it with the battery switch in both on and off positions, no change. I checked for a terminal that the battery charger might be wired to and could not find any indication thereof. Going back to the original wiring diagram that Formula supplied me, it's supposed to go DIRECTLY to the batteries and it definitely ain't there.

Third: Can you tell whether your charger is hooked up and also, is it mounted against the firewall like mine is? I would assume so. Like I said, I've never seen a battery charger that hummed and didn't work. I figure it has to be in the wiring. However, I am going to try to dig in with a voltage tester and see if it's definitely got juice coming out of the charger over the weekend. Right now I'm getting my house water back running. Lost the pump motor and a break in the supply line from the well. The fun just never stops.
Old 10-21-2004, 04:43 PM
Registered

On my 302 the battery switch has to be on to charge a battery (it charges whatever is connected IE: 1, 2, or both)

Bryan
Old 10-21-2004, 10:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 140 Likes on 85 Posts

Doesn't have a charge meter?

I've been thru a lot of marine chargers over the years, and will only spend my money on full electronic three stage units now.

If your guest is humming, though, the transformer is getting juice. Might have a bad diode or something, but should be an easy fix.

As far as how it is wired? Follow the wires and see.

My 311 is wired direct to the batts, before the disconnect switch, just like the trim pumps.
Old 10-21-2004, 11:08 PM
Where To
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If the charger has a removable face, with out taking it out, look for loose or broken wires where they go into the charger. The first step I would think is to check the output right where it exits the charger. But that's just me talking. Good luck
Old 10-22-2004, 12:15 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by 302SR1
Yes the indicator light is uder the fridge in the cabin. It flashes when charging and is constant when charged. Or the other way around I can't remember.(Damn Rumplemintz)

Damn, this is rather embarassing, just shows how much time I spend in the cabin.

Okay, at risk of further embarassment, where do I plug in the power from the house?
Old 10-22-2004, 06:21 AM
Registered

Cuda, you probably have "shore power" and you'll need a $ 45.00 connector to connect the 30 amp male plug to a 110 volt recepticle. Assuming you already have a big yellow Marinco shore power cord. At least that's the way mine is. My shore power plug is located behind the port side cockpit sliding door storage compartment, all the way to the rear mounted on the cockpit side of the firewall. It's a 30 amp male plug that has a little hinged swing up door, then you plug a 30 amp female with a twist and threaded locking collar to keep it secure.

Took me fifteen minutes to find the damn thing when I went looking.

Also, in the storeage compartment above the fridge is where my 110 volt switches are located. If you have a fridge I'd guess you'd have to have shore power.

I completely emptied the boat out for the first time in four years over the last week or so and found stuff that I have no idea what it is or what it's for.

p.s. New Stainless Marine thru hull tips will be arriving shortly. Won't be giving me any more chit about being to quiet. Russ

Last edited by Formula Outlaw; 10-22-2004 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-22-2004, 06:30 AM
Registered

MCTN: the wires enter one of those black coiled plastic wire wraps right at the charger so I have to go digging. I just looked at the batteries and only starter, bilge pump, trim pump wires are there. Nothing else. Russ

Quick Reply: Onboard Battery Charger Question...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.