Fuel Reserve?

Notices
Formula

Fuel Reserve?

Old 11-01-2004, 04:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Question Fuel Reserve?

On my '85 357 the the top 3/4 of the fuel gauge is green and the bottom 1/4 is red. On the left it has an "R" which I figured meant "Reserve." It must mean "Refuel now!" I discovered this last weekend that the second that needle hits what looks like would be 1/4 of a tank left it is empty. I got a nice tow back to the dock. I have never ran it that low so I assumed that last 1/4 was a reserve. Anyone else have a similar gauge? If so does yours run out when it hits the bottom 1/4 (red 1/4) of the gauge?
Old 11-01-2004, 04:18 PM
Registered

Default Re: Fuel Reserve?

And yes, I felt like a complete dumb ass.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Must be a calibration thing. I usually run my '88 311 into the red and start looking for gas. It will usually take about 120 gallons to fill it, which is just about right for a 160 gallon tank.
Old 11-02-2004, 10:50 AM
Registered

That makes me feel a tiny bit better. I figured that must mean reserve. Mine must be calibrated wrong or something. Thanks 311.
Old 11-02-2004, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, I have the same issue with my 311. When it hits the red zone I gotta get gas like right now. I ran it dry with the gauge reading just into the red.

I think the "R" stands for "Row". That's what I would have been doing were it not for my buddy happening by just in time. Of course, I had to be towed in, right past the crowded "boater's beach" on Sandy Pond by friggin' 17' Whaler.

He just loved that one because I always said his boat was a utility boat.

My supposed "friends" were ruthless with the cameras.
Old 11-02-2004, 03:04 PM
Registered

LOL, R must be for Row. I mean the second mine hit the red the left motor started to sputter. At least no one was around to take pictures. We still had fun though. I actually ran out of gas about 14 miles from where I was staying. I got a ride back with a friend on a pontoon boat. We all had a good time laughing at me about it. I then went and got my step-fathers 30' Monterey Cabin Cruiser. Went back with about 5 other people hitched up the Formula and pulled her back. The whole ordeal took about 5 hours. But, having a bunch of people there made it into a good time.

I still can't believe I ran out of gas. I've been driving these boats since I was young. I have 22 years of boating experience now and I have never ran out of gas before. I felt like a real dumb ass. I guess it had to happen sooner or later.
Old 11-03-2004, 05:44 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear you about the experience thing, we shouldn't be running out of gas for Pete's sake. But, when we have grossly inaccurate fuel gages, well, what can you do but live and learn.

However, neither of us practiced the boater's fuel creed:

1/3 to get there, 1/3 to get back, and 1/3 reserve.

I just treat the beginning of the red zone as EMPTY!!!!!!
Old 11-03-2004, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Not sure what gauges you guys have, but if it's still the old vdo square ones, pull out the fuel gauge, with the tank empty. There is a small screw on the side to adjust the gauge, so you can calibrate it to when the tank is empty.
Old 11-03-2004, 02:48 PM
Registered

Mad Mat - Great information thanks. I was going to do as Third Bird suggested and just treat the red as empty. I do have the older vdo gauges so will try to adjust them when i get low on fuel again. Thanks for the tip!

Brent
Old 11-03-2004, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep, been there before, Embarrassing learning experience. Much rather have a big empty than a big full. In the red is definitely a danger zone on a pig azz 357

Quick Reply: Fuel Reserve?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.