Replacing Valance Lights??

Notices
Formula

Replacing Valance Lights??

Old 11-04-2004, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Valance Lights??

I was wondering what the secret was in replacing valance lights on the older 357's. I don't see how to pull down the valence. They appear to be screwed on both ends but how you get a screwdriver in that small space is beyond me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Josh
Old 11-04-2004, 04:27 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Re: Replacing Valance Lights??

I believe thatt you have to remove the lights fixtures. You will then find screws behind them, attaching the valence to the deck above.
Old 11-04-2004, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It's possible that my '88 357 was altered, but I don't think so. Anyway mine is screwed/ bolted in on either end. Pull down the cloth covering at the upper outside corner of the V-berth bulkheads on the V-berth side to access the forward end. On the aft-end Stbd.- look in the head, upper right corner and on Port-the inside of the cabinet where it meets the valence. I replaced the fluorescent lights w/ DC rope lights but I,m not happy w/ the brightness- I think I need to re- mounted them along the edge of the opening at the bottom of the valence to get any intensity.
BTW: I love the boat, HATE the cabin: I completely gutted mine including stripping every scrap of vinyl and cloth off the hull-sides and valences and replaced it w/ foam-backed upholstery cloth. Re-carpeted the floor, stripped all the disgusting carpet out of the head and laid black marbled vinyl flooring. I'm in the process of redoing the sofa w/ auto upholstery including thicker foam and extending the back all the way down to the seat. When that's finished, I'll have a local custom cabinet maker re-do the cabinets, sink etc. Can't wait till spring already-
Old 11-05-2004, 08:40 AM
Registered

ctuck-
Thanks I saw the Phillips end under the valance didn't think to look for a nut on the opposite side of the bulkhead. I also am in the process of redoing the cabin. Pulled carpet out and thinking of redoing all the clothe. How are the cushions on the couches fastened? I need to pull those to get the rest of the carpet out. I would love to see pictures of your project. Sounds like it will be really sweet when you are done.
Thanks again
PM
Old 11-05-2004, 05:18 PM
Registered

I'll post a coupla' pics when I get a chance. My cushions, which I believe were recovered at least once so this may or may not be factory, were screwed into the horizontal bulkhead they sit on. Look for screw heads between where the cloth folds in to form the seperate "roll" of cushion at the front. Also, if you remove the v-berth bulkheads, be prepared for a job- mine were about half fallen apart so I had to completely rebuild them- not easy to get the curved radius reproduced but it was worth it- looks much better. Also, FYI- much to my suprise- a good part ofthe origional bulkhead was cardboard, with a wooden frame around it- no wonder they were falling apart. Rebuilt them w/ 1/16" plywood. Good luck-
Old 11-08-2004, 05:42 PM
Registered

As far as the lights go--I'm looking at some white neon lights similar to what the kids use unde the rice-burner. THey give off plenty of light, no heat problem and relatively cheap.

I looked removing the valence and it's not a one-person job the way they put the screws in at each end as described above.

I looked at the flourescent fixtures using a mirror and was figuring using an "L" shape ratcheting screw driver to get the fixtures out (3 on each side) rather than tackle taking the entire valence down on both sides--especially the one on the port side where screws are buried up behind the stero cabinet.
Old 11-08-2004, 05:46 PM
Registered

I was gonna redo the backrest the way ctuck described but it seems like ti would screw up the area for sleeping--or much anything else except sitting. I kind of liked the roll that went all the way around the v-berths rather than full back cushion so when i took a nap my big self would have a decent sized area to sleep on.

You're right to--the "foundation" of that damned thing is that flimsy upholstery board that doesn't do wll in moist places.
Old 11-12-2004, 05:12 PM
Registered

Attached is a pic of the cabin of my 357 so far. Making progress on "getting the red out". The back of the sofa cushions are next. As to extending them all the way down to the sea cushions, I thought about the sleeping room thing too, but all in all I think it will look much better & still lave enough width to lay down-
By the way- removing the valences wasn't that big a deal- I did it by myself- just propped up the end I unscrewed first w/ a board till the other end was free.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:29 AM
Registered

ctuck--
How about that pic? And thanks again for the tip on valance removal.
Old 11-13-2004, 06:32 AM
Registered

Like the sound of what you're saying--may change me approach.

The pictures didn't com thru by the way--

I was thinking of using industrial grade velcro to hold cushions (and back) in placeofa --it works on a high end leather sofa I've got at home--that way woould reduce weight and make it easier to "sleep"--

For grins check out fabric by MAJILITE--it's as nice as UltraLeather/Ultrasuede at half the price. The factory is using it on custom Hatteras yachts--really nice stuff and they sell direct.

Poorsche

www.boatmat.com

Quick Reply: Replacing Valance Lights??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.