Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Formula
Ran into a "brick wall" this afternoon, any suggestions?? >

Ran into a "brick wall" this afternoon, any suggestions??

Notices
Formula

Ran into a "brick wall" this afternoon, any suggestions??

Old 12-18-2004, 04:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ran into a "brick wall" this afternoon, any suggestions??

Well Gusman and I were getting the boat back together and things WERE going rather smoothly. We got set to install the risers and "uh oh".....

As most of you know I'm putting on a set if Eddie Marine Thunder aluminum manifolds and risers. I had to have a 4 three inch riser spacers made up at a local machine shop. Well here's the issue. The risers have four water jackets, one on each side. All the gaskets that came with the system all have the cut outs for the water jackets. I brought one of the risers down to the machine shop so they could copy the pattern for the spacers. Well when we took the duct tape off the top of the manifolds that Gusman had put on to keep moisture out while I dealt with the spacer issue, the manifolds DON'T have any water jackets, just the four threaded bolt holes. So we don't know what to do. Gusman has never seen a "log" style manifold without water jackets. Of course there is a "plug" in both the manifold and the riser to connect with a hose, but that leaves the spacer as a "dead zone" and Gusman is concerned about heat as no water would actually be circulating through the spacer. We figured that water would drain into the spacer, get hot, steam off, refill with water, etc. but we're not sure that is correct. We don't know if the spacers Eddie Marine originally sold but discontinued had water jackets in them. I could go to the Stainless Steel risers that have the 3 inch spacer built in, but then I threw away almost seven hundred bucks on the damn spacers. We're not sure if we got the wrong set of manifolds or what.

So after mulling it over for almost three hours we said phuck it. We tried calling everybody we could even think of for suggestions but no one is home. It's one of those situations we don't dare try to guess because if we guess wrong we guess REAL wrong. And we don't know if we're just being stupid or not. Anybody got any ideas?????

This is REALLY starting to get on my nerves.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:32 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Ran into a "brick wall" this afternoon, any suggestions??

A friend of mine has Eddie Marine aluminum manifold and elbows on his triple small blocks. Two required 3"spacers and the center engine needed 6" additional rise. We made the same type spacer as you described but his manifold had holes on top for the water passage. Here's where it takes ballz...lay the gasket on top(over the studs) and drill .
I'd try calling E.M. to see if this is plausable
My buddy did buy one set of spacers from E.M. and we just copied them. They did have water jackets.
Old 12-18-2004, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

mine have no water passages ...the water just flows thru the hose from manifold to exhaust ...we were concerned some about heating the spacers ..but so far it seems ok ...but my are wedged .... 1/4 x 1 1/4 ... yours are 3" ? big difference ..the exhaust pipe has water passages to the manifolds but the manifolds dont have passages ?
Old 12-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Registered

Mike, the manifolds are "log" style, not "header/individual pipe" style. Water obviously runs through them because of the "water plug" for a brass nipple. There just aren't any water jackets where the spacers/risers bolt up to the manifolds.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:31 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Formula Outlaw - On my 336 there are two 3" riser spacers on my stock exhaust. I was thinking about adding an aftermarket exhaust but would have to get 6" of rise. Some Formula's with HP500's and 525SC's came with gil exhaust with a 6" riser that matched up to the transom perfectly.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:36 PM
Registered

With the 3 inch spacers, and the much more downward angle of the exit port on the riser, it is matching up real real close, definitely close enough.

It is looking like this issue is a "non" issue after all. I posted this in four seperate Forums. Apparently this is the way it's supposed to be.
Old 12-18-2004, 07:54 PM
Banned

Feel better now Russ?

How was the pizza?
Old 12-18-2004, 08:06 PM
Registered

Pizza was good. bbbuuuuuurrrrrppppppp.

I was 90% ready to go ahead and bolt it up but that last 10% made me chicken out. I will do this, I will become "one with the boat".
Old 12-18-2004, 08:11 PM
Banned

See, see see the riser, be be be the riser Danny.
Old 12-18-2004, 09:16 PM
Registered

I shall be, the riser. I will become all I can be, a riser of one.

Quick Reply: Ran into a "brick wall" this afternoon, any suggestions??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.