WOT runs with Outlaw

Notices
Formula

WOT runs with Outlaw

Old 02-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WOT runs with Outlaw

Sorry should have posted last night but was having to share the computer to Deb who was tracking a clock on EBAY she wants.

Just as a reminder: I install the Eddie Marine Thunder aluminum "logstyle" headers, risers, and had 3 inch aluminun billet "spacers" made up, which worked fine by the way, no overheating problems at all, could lightly touch the spacers at any time and no steam showing on the exhaust. Port motor runs about 145 degrees, the starboard motor running right at 150 degrees. Figure I took about 500 pounds of dead weight right over the props. The stern of the boat definitely sits higher out of the water docked than before, at least an inch and a half, maybe even two. Put two 250 guys on your swim platforms and see how much the stern will drop a little.

Okay here's the stats. By myself, about 3 quarters tank of fuel. Everything else a reasonably "light" load. One small cooler and took a lot of non essential gear off.

Running north in Sarasota Bay I got 74 on the gps.
Running south later in the day I only got 72 on the gps.
Could be the tide or maybe the wind. I'm not sure. Also running north I was running in a one foot chop "following sea" and running south I was running in a 2 ft. chop "head" sea.
Only kept it WOT for about 45 seconds each time.

The boat is definltely running "different" at speed. Coming out of the hole is somehow different. I almost think that by the props now being "higher" in the water somehow effected the out of the hole performance. I don't run it hard out of the hole anyway but it just didn't seem to Jump up on plane like before. I figure it was kind of like shortening the "x" demension and I know boats with shorter "x" demensions usually take a little longer to plane. I don't mean it was hard to get up on plane, it just didn't quite jump up like before.

However, once up on plane it was definitely stronger. The boat responded faster to drive trim changes. Soon as you touch the drives move up at all there is an increase in rpms.

The boat felt "lighter" in the water at speed. It seemed that it took less "throttle" to move the boat faster.

I still have some "relearning" of the drive trim to take full advantage of what the potential is.

Never saw the tachs go past 5K before either. That was cool. And gotta love that new sound. Man does it roar over 4 grand.

At this point I would say I got a "consistent" 4 mph increase and once I get the trimming of the drives dialed in a little better, maybe another mph. Will keep you posted.

I know running north I walked away from what I believe was a 30 ft. Baja. That was neat.

I even got quite a few waves "from Blowboaters" yesterday.

All was right with the world.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:35 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 122 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Re: WOT runs with Outlaw

I spent all weekend in a heated storage building waxing a boat while it's 30-40 degrees outside and your out test running you new set-up! You suck....J/K. I remember the pics of the boat w/out the platform looked good, but with 3 small kids I can't be without the Silent Thunder box. But exhaust will have to come as soon as I can cover the expense. Keep us posted.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

[QUOTE=Formula Outlaw] I even got quite a few waves "from Blowboaters" yesterday. /QUOTE]

Sure those weren't one-fingered waves??

Glad to see you made improvements, sounds like a success. Maybe you can afford to add an inch of prop to it now and see what that does. But, if it's only just going over 5 grand by a tad, maybe not.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by t500hps
I spent all weekend in a heated storage building waxing a boat while it's 30-40 degrees outside and your out test running you new set-up! You suck....J/K. I remember the pics of the boat w/out the platform looked good, but with 3 small kids I can't be without the Silent Thunder box. But exhaust will have to come as soon as I can cover the expense. Keep us posted.

Yeah, but at least you were waxing the boat. That definitely qualifies as a "boating related effort".

I am very pleased with these EMI units I installed. Just bear in mind that most exhaust units are not going to mate up with the stock Formula "tip holes" without some type of spacer involved. The stock Merc units come out much more "straight" while most "custom" units have a stronger downward angle, hence the need for a spacer. I flushed each motor for fifteen minutes last night when I got home.

I understand with your children the platform is a "must have". I got a 200 rpm increase when I originally modifed my box three years ago.

Im satisfied with the initial results. I figured 3 mph would be good. I think once I get the drive trim back down it will give me another mph. The eternal quest for more speed, OR to throw more money away.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:03 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=ThirdBird]
Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
I even got quite a few waves "from Blowboaters" yesterday. /QUOTE]

Sure those weren't one-fingered waves??

Glad to see you made improvements, sounds like a success. Maybe you can afford to add an inch of prop to it now and see what that does. But, if it's only just going over 5 grand by a tad, maybe not.

Dave, seemed to be hovering around 5100/5150. Before I was getting maybe 4800 (I think anyway). I was spending more time concentrating on the drive trim than what the tachs were reading. plus trying to watch my handheld GPS.

All in all I'm extremely happy with the way the whole project turned out.

And no, not one "1 finger wave".....
Old 02-21-2005, 08:56 AM
Registered

Formula Outlaw,

Excuse my ignorance, but, what motors are you running in your rig? 454mags? 502's?
I can't remember if you made any changes to the motors or is that comming after the exhaust

Do you own a 292 or 311? It looks like @ 89' or 90'.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:10 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mtgbiker
Formula Outlaw,

Excuse my ignorance, but, what motors are you running in your rig? 454mags? 502's?
I can't remember if you made any changes to the motors or is that comming after the exhaust

Do you own a 292 or 311? It looks like @ 89' or 90'.

89' 311 SR1. 454 Mags, at least according to the original build sheet. Changed over to Hydromotive Quad IV props from the original Mirage and that in itself made a HUGE difference. Our boats are real azz heavy and the Quad IV's are stern lifting props so picked up some real help there. This gained me as much as the exhaust swapout. Particularly at cruising rpms. Somewhere in the Formula thread there is a thread about the prop changeover I did. Take some time and go back and find it and you'll know the particulars.

Like previously stated I dropped at least 500 lbs. of dead weight right over the props by losing the silent thunder box, the weight saving of the EMI Thunder exhaust/85 lbs. PER motor, and cleaning out crap I don't need or use. Also had to pick up some horsepower with the exhaust. The stock Merc units just dump into a giant chamber and the exhaust gases just bounce around until eventually finding their way out. These EMI Thunders have seperate tuned runners. It HAS to help the motor breath better. Old addage: you can't pump more fuel into a motor than it can exit.

As far as any internal mods I honestly don't have a clue.

According to "the wife" it ain't the only thing I'm clueless about....
Old 02-21-2005, 05:45 PM
Registered

Outlaw,
Thanks for the specs...on "Outlaw"
Old 02-21-2005, 06:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mtgbiker
Outlaw,
Thanks for the specs...on "Outlaw"

Anytime....would love to state specs with a couple of 625's sitting in the engine compartment.....I wish..
Old 02-21-2005, 07:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Troutly
Russ, sounds like it is running pretty dang good! Have an enjoyable year with it
Thanks Scott, I'm sure gonna try.

Quick Reply: WOT runs with Outlaw

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.