Formula

What breaks next???

Old 03-22-2005, 09:21 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: What breaks next???

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
Now that I opened my mouth on that subject I'm sure I'll blow one up now.

FOR SURE...Open mouth insert foot(or wallet )
Old 03-22-2005, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

[QUOTE=Formula Outlaw]WTF......didn't you just have those out????????

You see any blue smoke coming out of the ehaust at all????
Any excess blowby at the carb from the valve cover vent????
Any oil in the bilge?????

Damn Mike that sucks.....

yep ....port motor was out last summer ...and we replaced Starboard Motor in oct .... they both run great now cept the oil consumption in the port side ...doesnt smoke at all ...no oil in the bilge ... who knows .... I know one thing ..I aint payin no more 5K bills ...if it comes out this time I'll be doin it ....
Old 03-23-2005, 06:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=offthefront]
Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
WTF......didn't you just have those out????????

You see any blue smoke coming out of the ehaust at all????
Any excess blowby at the carb from the valve cover vent????
Any oil in the bilge?????

Damn Mike that sucks.....

yep ....port motor was out last summer ...and we replaced Starboard Motor in oct .... they both run great now cept the oil consumption in the port side ...doesnt smoke at all ...no oil in the bilge ... who knows .... I know one thing ..I aint payin no more 5K bills ...if it comes out this time I'll be doin it ....
Well it's gotta be going somewhere, you just have to find where (duhhhh...). Any chance the guy who worked on it last summer will warranty it his work? Doesn't seem like you've put that many hours on it.

I thought about this last night after I signed off. If it's leaking out, it'll be in the bilge. If it's burning, it'll show up in blue smoke in exhaust, might show up on the plugs. If you have pressure getting into the motor from a cylinder firing (i.e. bad rings etc.) you will have blowby either at the valve cover vent or worse, coming out the dipstick. I had one motor that had a hole in a piston and blew four quarts of oil all over the engine in about 20 minutes (this was on my 242/twin small blocks).

Maybe go talk to the mechanic that worked on it and pick his brains. He should be willing to back up his work. Good luck. I really hope it's nothing serious.

Might try seeing if you can find any evidence (any kind of residue) in the port side tips if you can get your hand up inside the box to check this. It would have to be burning oil pretty badly to have it show up in that manner and I don't think one quart in six hours qualifies.

I have heard of motors that for whatever reason just use oil, more than you would think normal and ran fine for years.

Russ

Last edited by Formula Outlaw; 03-23-2005 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-23-2005, 11:21 AM
Registered

I did pull the plugs about 6-8 weeks ago ..looked ok to me ...I installed new ones and will check them soon ..I also did Compression Test ..they were all about 168lbs ..I have a thread on Tech Forum and someone said if its an oil ring it wont show under compression test ... There is an oil Cooler under the motor but not sure if its for the non-used PS pump ...My mechanic said he didn't think our 454's have oil coolers .. It does push the dipstick out ....Also someone sujested the PCV Valve ...need to check that .
This is the first motor we pulled from getting hot ... we never found anything wrong ...this motor had about 25 hours on it then ....I did have heads redone and we put it all back together and its ran fine cept for hole in oil pan We are doing the roof on the boathouse now ...I cant concentrate on more than one thing at a time .... Guess thats why I never got that threesome ... .... but we'll get there ....keep ya posted ..
Old 03-23-2005, 12:04 PM
jasn

Break
Out
Another
Thousand

I know I've just jinxed myself...

Old 03-23-2005, 03:48 PM
Banned

OTF, if it's not leaking it, and not burning it, my bet would be it's going out in the exhaust water some way or another. I'd say piss on it and add a quart every seven hours myself.
Old 03-23-2005, 03:50 PM
Registered

If it's pushing the dipstick out, you've got "compression pressure" getting down into the block/oil pan, etc. at least that's what I think.
Old 03-23-2005, 04:17 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's another thought , last summer I would empty my p.s . pump in 15 miles . Also noticed milky exhaust water on drivers side. Turned out to be a bad PS cooler and I was pumping fluid into the cooling sys. and out the exhaust.
If no smoke , no blow by and no leaks in the bilge the oil pressure is much greater than the water pressure so the oil will go to the water sys and out the exhaust with no smoke(because it's not burning) .
Old 03-23-2005, 04:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mopower
Here's another thought , last summer I would empty my p.s . pump in 15 miles . Also noticed milky exhaust water on drivers side. Turned out to be a bad PS cooler and I was pumping fluid into the cooling sys. and out the exhaust.
If no smoke , no blow by and no leaks in the bilge the oil pressure is much greater than the water pressure so the oil will go to the water sys and out the exhaust with no smoke(because it's not burning) .
A buddy of mine smoked a tranny last year do to a bad cooler. The oil went into the exhaust water and before he knew it, the tranny was dry and seized a bearing and broke input shaft. Eliminate all of your possibilities before yanking that engine again. Good Luck!!
Old 03-23-2005, 05:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mopower
First thing is to check the cooler ....my merc mrchanic sez he doesnt think its oil cooler ...rather PS cooler but on prt side which is not used ...I just need to trace the lines out ...

Quick Reply: What breaks next???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.