Default Re: What breaks next???

Here's the oil cooler on my boat.
Attached Thumbnails What breaks next???-dscf0307-small-.jpg  
Old 03-23-2005, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
If it's pushing the dipstick out, you've got "compression pressure" getting down into the block/oil pan, etc. at least that's what I think.
yup I agree .....not a good sign .....hope to frick around with it this weekend ....

on another Note ... Dont laugh guys ...but would it not be great if that center Stringer was not so high ?? I get so pissed trying to work around the dang thing ....might take my Sawzall to it !!!!! If you look at other boats ...even the new FastTec hull ....its way lower ....
Old 03-23-2005, 05:41 PM
Registered

Joe ...mine is simular but doesn't attach to bell housing ....just some brackets under the motor ....
Old 03-23-2005, 07:00 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by offthefront
First thing is to check the cooler ....my merc mrchanic sez he doesnt think its oil cooler ...rather PS cooler but on prt side which is not used ...I just need to trace the lines out ...
It's still there and the oil part of it is still used if its a stock arrangement. I have HP500 oil coolers under the distributors and the stock ps cooler under the engine mount.
Old 03-23-2005, 07:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mopower
It's still there and the oil part of it is still used if its a stock arrangement. I have HP500 oil coolers under the distributors and the stock ps cooler under the engine mount.
Cal .. you sayin it DOES cool engine oil ?
Old 03-23-2005, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

...My mechanic said he didn't think our 454's have oil coolers ..
Well,,,,,,, he's wrong! We do have oil coolers, one on each engine just as Cuda showed. Mopower's thoughts are correct in my opinion. The higher oil pressure will send oil into the water system and right out the exhaust water. If that were the case, you should see an oil sheen on the water at idle.

I agree with others here, check out what you have NOT rebuilt. You should have confidence that your motors are sound since they just got rebuilt.

This is troubleshooting 101. Check what is either different or not rebuilt. I'm pretty sure you didn't do much to the oil coolers during the rebuild

Just don't go ripping into those engines yet, I'm sure it's something much less complicated. It's probably simple.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay, but what's causing that dipstick to "blow out"?? Only one thing I can think of and that's pressure. Nothing else I can come up with would explain that. I think you really need to find out why that is happening at least that's my two cents.

Went through this myself. I didn't pay attention to it and the third time out I blew four quarts of oil all over my motor.

Last edited by Formula Outlaw; 03-23-2005 at 09:36 PM.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:41 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 125 Likes on 64 Posts

So the answer to "what breaks next???"

your wallet!
Old 03-23-2005, 10:11 PM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cal .. you sayin it DOES cool engine oil ?
Yes. Stock arrangements on 454 and 454 mags were a combo ps/oil cooler mounted directly below the port engine mount. Two oil lines and two ps lines are connected to it plus water in one end and our the other. I can get a pic tomorrow.

F.O. I had the same problem with my dipstick and I agree with you BUT I had no blow by and watched it on a dyno after my first season with these engines. As stupid as it sounds , mine was vibration. I also am not using a Merc pan or stick.
Old 03-24-2005, 06:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mopower

F.O. I had the same problem with my dipstick and I agree with you BUT I had no blow by and watched it on a dyno after my first season with these engines. As stupid as it sounds , mine was vibration. I also am not using a Merc pan or stick.

Vibration never crossed my mind, I admit, however if you had that problem, good enough for me. Never would have thought of that....

Quick Reply: What breaks next???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.