What breaks next???

Notices
Formula

What breaks next???

Old 03-24-2005, 06:33 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: What breaks next???

Thanks Guys ... first thing to check this weekend is the cooler ....I sure hope to hell its where the leak is ....
Old 03-24-2005, 06:33 PM
Registered

Traced it all out today ...you guys right again .. I have the following post in Tech Section .....

Update on oil thirsty motor .... I pulled the outlet water hose from the oil cooler today ...didn't really see any signs of oil .. I put 20lbs of pressure on the oil cooler and it dropped about 1lb in an hour. I have the hoses pressurized so could be some leakage at hose clamps .....I did check for PCV valves and apparently 454mags don't have em ...just a straight shot from Valve cover to Spark arrestor. A merc Mechanic I know wants me to bypass the oil cooler and try that .... sez pressure test isn't a sure thing and that cooler could leak after it gets hot ... looks like a major deal to remove oil lines and tie them together ...any thoughts on just bypassing the the water around the cooler ? then if any oil escaped in the cooler it would dribble out the end ?
Old 03-26-2005, 06:46 AM
Registered

I put 25lbs of pressure on the oil cooler from water side on Thursday evening.. it dropped 1lb in about an hour and left it over nite ....actually 12-16 hours later still had 15lbs ....my pressure rig included hoses and some rigging so not really sure if I accomplished anything
Old 03-26-2005, 08:44 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still go back to the dipstick being pushed out. I know "MO" said his was vibration but my gut feeling is it must've been vibrating pretty good to do that.

Like I said, I WENT through this with my 242.

I think the dipstick working it's way out is your strongest clue. Concentrate on everything that could cause that to happen. I still think you've got too much pressure down in the crankcase. I know you don't want to hear that, but I've got a gut feeling that's the problem.

Start the boat on the lift, run it until it gets up to temp, run it for three minutes there, shut it down, and look for an oil sheen on the water. If unburned oil is going out the exhaust, as already stated above, it's GOING to show up.

Get a good flashlight and crawl down into the bilge and look everywhere. Run your fingers over the engine everywhere and see if you can find oil.

Run another compression check.

Get a hardwood dowel and use it as a stethascope and listen to every cylinder and see if you can detect a slight scraping noise. That might indicate the oil ring as stated above.

Half of me says if you can't find anything, just bring oil with you and run it. The other half says, if you gamble and do that and lose, it will be an expensive loss.

As much as I know you don't want to, if it were mine, and what I've been through with the 242, if I couldn't find the oil, and the dipstick is coming out by it's own, I'd pull the motor and have it checked. It just might end up saving you a lot of coin. Russ
Old 03-26-2005, 08:48 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds like the cooler is ok . I pulled mine out , put my hand over one end and blew in the othe end. I could here mine bubbling inside and I was obviously blowing air somewhere.
Old 03-26-2005, 09:02 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

[QUOTE=Formula Outlaw]I still go back to the dipstick being pushed out. I know "MO" said his was vibration but my gut feeling is it must've been vibrating pretty good to do that.

Russ,
When mine was coming out ,I had the same feeling because I've seen it before . I know what you mean. I didn't have any blow by so it really blew my mind. Back on the dyno I had the opportunity to watch it through a window up to 5800 rpms . Much to my suprize ot came out about 2 inches.
Now keep in mind I have 10 quart Canton marine pans and not the Merc dipstick and tube. Mine also slides with little to no resistance.
Attached Thumbnails What breaks next???-dipstick.jpg  
Old 03-26-2005, 09:13 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=mopower]
Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw
I still go back to the dipstick being pushed out. I know "MO" said his was vibration but my gut feeling is it must've been vibrating pretty good to do that.

Russ,
When mine was coming out ,I had the same feeling because I've seen it before . I know what you mean. I didn't have any blow by so it really blew my mind. Back on the dyno I had the opportunity to watch it through a window up to 5800 rpms . Much to my suprize ot came out about 2 inches.
Now keep in mind I have 10 quart Canton marine pans and not the Merc dipstick and tube. Mine also slides with little to no resistance.

Well that does make a difference. Mine kind of "click" in place. If yours slide that easily I can see how they could work their way out.

Do you wire tie it down??????? R
Old 03-26-2005, 09:47 AM
Toxic FORMULA
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Formula Outlaw

Do you wire tie it down??????? R
No , but I do stick my oil suck tube though it and it holds it in place
Old 03-26-2005, 11:30 AM
Registered

I bypassed the cooler on the water side .....if weather clears might run it today or tomorrow .... I had to kinda "Jerry Rig" it with a piece of 1 1/4" id exhaust hose ....cant hardly find 1 1/4" hose ....got it Bypassed ....so if a make a few runs there should be oil comming out of the open ends of the cooler ....I'm like Cal not really thinking its the cooler ..... Russ ...I let it run about 10 mins or so late yesterday but could not see any oil in the water ....most if not all of the water comes out the hole in the bottom of Silent Thunder Box at Idle .....I did catch a cpl of hand fulls....looked fine to me .....Prob need to get it good and hot and catch some in a glass Jar ..bet that would show ...Also if its an oil ring it might only blow by at Higher RPM ..... Thanks for the input guys ....going to keep sniffin around ...and like you say Russ ...I dont really have a problem with just adding oil ...it runs fine ....but sooner or later got to get to the bottom of it ... My merc Mechanic .( he has 30 years experiance) sez it could not have seated in yet ...this motor should be around 50 hours ...he is adimant about me putting the Merc 25/40 oil back in .......he gave me 4 gallons .... but I am just doin one thing at a time .....
Old 03-26-2005, 03:44 PM
Registered

Actually Mike if the motor isn't broken yet, that may very well be the issue. Might just end up resolving itself. (yeah, right.... )

Keep on lookin' bout all you can do. Good luck and keep us posted. Russ

Quick Reply: What breaks next???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.