Formula 311 Values ?????

Notices
Formula

Formula 311 Values ?????

Old 03-21-2005, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Formula 311 Values ?????

I am currently looking at two Formula 311s that are for sale, both of which are fresh water only. The first is a 1988 w/502s built to approx 500HP The boat itself has 1200 hours on it and the engines and TRS drives have somewhere around 100 hours on them. The other a 1990 which is almost identical with the same engine setup and HP, but has Bravo drives. This boat has 600 hours on it and 150 on the engines. Both boats are similarly equipped, and condition, both are priced within $1000 of each other, and include trailers. I do prefer the color on the 88, but it is almost a 600 mile trip and it has almost 600 more hours on the hull, when the other is only 2 hours from me. What do you think would be a realistic and fair price for these boats. I have been doing alot of searching and almost all the boats I see for sale... are still for sale, so it is hard to get an accurate range, without knowing what has actually sold. I know that they are only worth what I am willing to pay, but since I am just getting back into boating I would hate to over pay when I really cant afford to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-22-2005, 05:19 AM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: Formula 311 Values ?????

go with the bravo one boat for re-sale value. 35K?
Old 03-22-2005, 06:20 AM
Registered

I own an 89' 311 SR1 with Bravos. I totally agree with Chris. Be sure to have a survey done. It'll cost you a few hundred bucks but could save you thousands and a lot of grief.

Depending on condition expect to pay between low to high 30's. I seriously doubt these boats will ever sell for less and you might see them actually begin to appreciate over the next few years. They are extremely well built boats and with new boat prices getting ever higher, the resale value of these boats will begin to ascend.

I have 684 hours on my boat, one original engine and the hull. I would definitely go with the lower hour (overall) boat. One thing I always do is say okay what else could I buy for "X" amount of dollars? In my opinion, if you can find an older well taken care of boat, you will get a lot more boat for your money. The 311's are not the fastest boat out there, but in rough water, very few can match them. And with the swim platform (which I removed on mine) the LOA is actually 33'6".

For the right boat I would pay up to 40K or a tad bit more. At this point, I would not let my boat go for less than 40. Particularly with all the work I just did to it.

If you do obtain one, try a set of Hydromotive Quad IV's props on it. Was the best thing I ever did to mine.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Stick with the Bravos for less aggravation and resale (not to mention the lower hours on the entire rig). A transmission is just one more component that can take a dump on you at any time. I just went through my 89 (motors, drives, interior, sound) and I wouldn't let it go for a penny less than $40K+ (and it is for sale BTW). I would love to move up (and plan to some day) but I won't give my 311 away to do it. I really do love this boat and it will be paid for in less than 4 years ( ). Once these boats depreciate a certain amount they lock in and you should be able to get your money back out if you need to.

BTW Outlaw, I plan to get a set of Q-IV's this year.
Old 03-22-2005, 06:55 AM
Registered

Thanks everyone!!
Old 03-22-2005, 11:18 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by Croozin2
Stick with the Bravos for less aggravation and resale (not to mention the lower hours on the entire rig). A transmission is just one more component that can take a dump on you at any time. I just went through my 89 (motors, drives, interior, sound) and I wouldn't let it go for a penny less than $40K+ (and it is for sale BTW). I would love to move up (and plan to some day) but I won't give my 311 away to do it. I really do love this boat and it will be paid for in less than 4 years ( ). Once these boats depreciate a certain amount they lock in and you should be able to get your money back out if you need to.

BTW Outlaw, I plan to get a set of Q-IV's this year.
I agree, mine is for sale as well, and it's a grat boat, 502EFI's with Bravos, dead on reliable. Value of mine is between 40 and 42, so thats what I'll let it go for, its paid for so its all good. I am leaving to pick up my tiger at 4 am tomorrow morning, so when i get back the shrink wrap comes off and I get new pics...Rob
Old 03-22-2005, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 94 Likes on 34 Posts

I agree with everyone here that the 311 is a tough boat to beat for the money. Mine is a 1991 and I wouldn't trade it for any other boat that is under 33 feet. They are not the fastest but the ride is great. I would go with the boat with the less hours and Bravo's. Good luck with your search and if you find a boat that requires a road trip remember that they can be fun too. My last boat I traveled 17 hours one way to pick it up and then another 30 hours one way to bring it to Fort Myers. Both trips were a blast.

Don
Old 03-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would go for the Bravo rig also. Just look in the engine bay and see how much more room there is in the Bravo boat. Engines are set back to the transom leaving tons of working space in front of the engines. That by itself is enough for me to pick the Bravo boat.

And remember,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, you will be working on it!
Old 03-22-2005, 12:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1,297 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by dgduck13
I agree with everyone here that the 311 is a tough boat to beat for the money. Mine is a 1991 and I wouldn't trade it for any other boat that is under 33 feet. They are not the fastest but the ride is great. I would go with the boat with the less hours and Bravo's. Good luck with your search and if you find a boat that requires a road trip remember that they can be fun too. My last boat I traveled 17 hours one way to pick it up and then another 30 hours one way to bring it to Fort Myers. Both trips were a blast.

Don
And then he put tons of hours in it to make it one of the nicest 311's I've ever seen
Old 03-22-2005, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Def go with the 90 ....there are a cpl of cosmetic changes after 89 that I like ..main thing though is TRS drives ....you dont want em ..
Attached Thumbnails Formula 311 Values ?????-mike311b.jpg   Formula 311 Values ?????-mikes311d.jpg  

Quick Reply: Formula 311 Values ?????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.