Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Inside or outside prop rotation? >

Inside or outside prop rotation?

Notices

Inside or outside prop rotation?

Old 05-05-2005, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Inside or outside prop rotation?

I am enjoying my first twin engine boat (32' Fountain) but I have to say my first experience trying to dock this boat was a disappointment. It did not maneuver any better than my last single engine boat (25' Checkmate). My prop rotation is currently inside. I have been advised that if I change to outside rotation my docking maneuverability will improve a great deal but I may lose 2 m.p.h. on the big end. What is the most popular rotation, inside our outside? Do most people give up the 2 m.p.h. top end to gain a more favorable docking experience?
Thanks
Old 05-05-2005, 10:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 87 Likes on 35 Posts
Default Re: Inside or outside prop rotation?

I have staggered turning inward,and was warned that it would be tough around the docks.It takes a little getting used to,but once you get use to it,its not so bad.In fact,the boat seems to back up better,and in some instances,you need to play with the steering while manuvering to get the boat to do what you want.I would keep it the same way.Reggie set the boat up that way for handling as well as speed.Staggered Outerlimits as well as Cigs turn inward as well.
Old 05-05-2005, 10:33 PM
EWB
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You must have a stepped hull I have a non step and thay turn out most of not all, stepped boats that I have seen turn in and most of the no stepped turn out. turning in did run faster on mine but it drove like it was on marbles best bet would be to try it and see what works best for you.
EB
Old 05-05-2005, 11:06 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

yep!
Had the same experince when I 1st bought my '99 32'. Docking sucked, backing up sucked even more! I thought it was just me being new to twins, so I let my friends that have twins try it. They said it sucked too. Not sure if it has more to do with the Hydro props or what.

Changed my props to spin outward. Night and day difference. I would have gave up 10mph for the gain. But had no noticable speed loss and handles great.
Old 05-06-2005, 09:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

2 mph could be the difference In having bragging rights or being 2nd - I'll deal with the difficult docking, since I know what it cost to gain 1 MPH
Old 05-06-2005, 10:40 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm with Ran-Dom 32.... we work to hard and spend to much $$$ for that elusive mph. I rotate in and am fine around the docks 99% of the time, still working on the whole backing in thing to nail it.
Old 05-06-2005, 02:00 PM
Registered

I made a similar jump like you did but went all the way to a 38, it takes some time but you will get the hang of it. What has worked out best for me was to use each drive seperately and then crank the wheel from far left to right rather then trying to work them in tandem, draggin the rear in the direction I want it then and pushing the bow the opposite way. The docking in my marina is really tight and I have to turn 90 degrees starboard to pull in while only being a few yards from the docks.

I spent several hours in the middle of the lake (where no one would see me) getting use to turning and spinning the boat. Good Luck...
Old 05-06-2005, 02:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 38SprtCruzKev

I spent several hours in the middle of the lake (where no one would see me) getting use to turning and spinning the boat. Good Luck...
Was that you last summer? I was wondering what the hell that guy was doing out there....
Old 05-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Registered

my 35 classis single step turn hydo28 inside, the docking gets better with some hours under your belt, I want the 1 or 2 mph so I am kepping them that way
Old 05-08-2005, 03:28 PM
Registered

I just switched my props to spin out.
Man what a difference in docking and did not seem to loose much on top end.
98 35 FOUNTAIN, 500HP CARB, 31 Labbed Hydros, Full gas, Drives @3, Tabs up, Flat water no chop.........GPS 80.2.....I,m good with that.
I hated looking like a idiot at the docks!

Joe