New 47 Lightning - what's new? >

New 47 Lightning - what's new?

Notices

New 47 Lightning - what's new?

Old 06-19-2005, 02:21 AM
PF Marine
Platinum Member

Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Re: New 47 Lightning - what's new?

I don't mean to be stirring things up in the fountain forum here, but I think this might be the boat for you. Its a 46' BT with triple yanmars and 3 rows of seating in the cockpit and all the headroom you could ask for.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/7/78379007.htm
Old 06-19-2005, 09:58 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually from what you are asking you need a 48 Fountain. It has all you're looking for but it does have triple Diesels.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:31 PM
OSO OG
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by insptech
Actually from what you are asking you need a 48 Fountain. It has all you're looking for but it does have triple Diesels.

Reggie said he trying to find some monster dsl's that will allow a twin application. I know Craig (WCMARINE) has lots of experience with the 48's.
Old 06-21-2005, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Call Shogren. He and Reggie just put a custom 48 together. One of a kind.

Even has a reserve outdrive in case one blows mounted in engine camp.
Old 06-21-2005, 06:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by saxman
I don't mean to be stirring things up in the fountain forum here, but I think this might be the boat for you. Its a 46' BT with triple yanmars and 3 rows of seating in the cockpit and all the headroom you could ask for.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/0/7/78379007.htm
Yes, this could do it. Too bad its got three engines, but maybe ya can't get everything...

Also, this boat has been on the market for YEARS. Its hard to beat the desireability of a Fountain.

Oh, now I remember why I crossed this boat off my list: its 9 feet wide, so a permit is needed. While Fountain 47 is often listed as 9 feet wide, I measured it, and its exactly 8'6" wide according to the way trailerable loads are measured (the rub rail does not count, just as awnings, steps, and handles on the side of RVs and mirrors on the side of trucks do not count). Hmm, maybe I need to measure this boat too...

Last edited by u4ea32; 06-21-2005 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 07:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by insptech
Its also too wide -- I am really, REALLY trying to stay under 8'6" so I don't need permits. The permits are cheap, but the limitations are a pain: can't trailer the weekend of, before, or after a holiday for example. Can't tow in the rain or in the dark in some areas I need to drive through to get home. Need to get LOTS of permits to go across country.

But if I decide to break the 8'6" limit and start to live with permits, the two boats that I am considering are the Fountain 48 and the Formula 400SS.

(As I mentioned above, a Fountain 47 Lightning is actually 8'6" wide when measured how the DMV measures width, not including "accutrements" such as mirrors on a truck, awnings and handles and steps on RVs, and rub rails on boats).

I like the cockpit arrangement on the Fountain 48. Seems like the 47 Lightning could very easily have a similar arrangement. I measured it: with twin Yanmar 440's or 315's, the engine hatch can be lowered almost 3 feet! This will allow an almost flat floor from the swim step to the helm.

A 47 with twin 315 yanmars will still top out at 60 MPH, and will get 2 mpg. At cruise, it will go 44 mph and get 3 mpg. Very tough to beat that kind of performance.

That is why I keep coming back to the 47 Lightning...

Last edited by u4ea32; 06-21-2005 at 07:12 PM.
Old 06-21-2005, 08:59 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

I have a 47 (2000) For me it would be really nice to have a windlass for the andchor and a anchor like on the 38/48 EC. Just my preference. I dont like the way the hand rail goes arround the engine hatch. This causes a valley in the cockpit cover that holds water. plus it allows the cover to flop when towed. I wish they had a switch in the cabin to turn on the cabin power not just the one by the helm. I think everything else is decent especially for the money. I don't have a bimini to and want to add one. I wish there was a way to run the AC while on the hoist. This would aid in cleaning and working on it when very hot. We really like ours so far I like that the corsa exhaust is quiet enough so you can cruise at 50 or 60 and still talk to your guests.
Old 06-22-2005, 03:37 PM
Registered

Ray, there is no question that yours is a beautiful boat.

Thanks for the feedback on likes and dislikes. I have the same feeling, that in very many ways its really a good boat, with just a list of little problems. Its good to hear that the Corsa mufflers seem to really work.

I thought your boat had a generator. Why does the AC not work on your hoist? Because the AC is water cooled? Because it only runs on the generator which is water cooled? Because there is no shore power, or just no cable to your boat?

Does your AC have vents in the cockpit as well as below?

Does the AC have reverse cycle heat? Does that really work, or is it really humid heat that results?
Old 06-29-2005, 07:17 AM
Registered

Re: New 47 Lightning - what's new?

Originally Posted by wcmarine
I tested the 47 w/ 1075's with reggie a few weeks back. Holy **** its fast!
The acceleration is unreal and it is smooth! The new is awesome compared to the old boat, the turning radius is much smoother and tighter, getting on plane... easier therefore faster.
It ran 116 mph but were still on Rev limiters. Lots more potential speed!
And hey..... Ohh and by the way after the run we went in the cabin to enjoy the AC, Refrigerator, and all the ameneties
possible!! S#$t the darn thing weighed in at 13,500 lbs. Its a big boat for those speeds.