Boat buying 101 >

Boat buying 101

Notices

Boat buying 101

Old 01-27-2002, 02:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fever Mike,
I don't know if Fountain has tried boxes on the twin step.
They spent allot of money developing there own in house external steering. If the ITS works well with the boats customers would opt for them. From that aspect I understand Fountains position on not using them. To this point Fountain has not tried the ITS on any of their Boats. It's probably just a question of dollar$ and cent$.
Dan

BTW, The Stellings work really well with the staggered 42 classics also.
Old 01-29-2002, 10:13 AM
MIdnightRider

We have allot of time, but when Coast Gaurd is rolling around, I'll give some updates. I go out on Thursday before to get a good spot along the "Wall". I have "hatteras" fenders so I dont mind rafting. If you like to party and listen to some music you are welcome to join us. It's usually myself, my bud with a 25 checkmate, another 42, and a Top Gun. I've gotten a little anal about just letting anyone tie up over the years. I get tired of explaining that my "NO SHOES" decals do apply to everyone, and that also includes Cowboy Boots, yes I had a guy once walk accross my Baja, then my buds 42, then over my friends Apache, to get to his friends boat who I did not know, all with his Cowboy Boots on. "You can't fix Dumb", that goes along with the boating tee shirt my fiance' bought me, "I see dumb people".LOL

Old 01-29-2002, 11:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Dan,
Hey, DO NOT encourage Tim to carry AT. I'd rather be able to buy one from the factory. Cheaper that way, less people in the markup line Actually, there is a dealer here in our area that was thinking about carrying them, but he just took over a business and I think the cash flow is tight to do so now. Maybe I'd help him with his first inventoried boat if I got 50% off. LOL!

I know two guys in our area with 32 AT's and they ride better than my 32 Fountain, but it's s different ride, too. it feels more solid, although my Fountain rides nice too. They're both good, just the AT feels like it enjoys it more In 3' and larger chop, the AT does better, though.

But, I don't know about you, but is a stepped hull a big factor? I like mine. That's why if I did an AT, it would have to be a 37AVH. My wife lets me run as fast as I want on flat water, so I like to take advantage of the steps. When the chop kicks up, she wants a flatter ride, so we slow down and run tabs. Bor-ing. LOL!

We were thinking of doing SOTW this year, but were not keen on not being able to approach anyone at the chicago boat show to ask questions. That's disappointing. Do I want to give them a grand when I can't ask them in person about the run they put on?

Mark
Old 01-29-2002, 11:15 PM
Registered

MIdnightRider,
I've seen fellow boat owners with black sole shoes walking on their decks and we wonder why there boats look like hell. I've had construction guys with mud on there boots ask if I mind if they take a look around the cabin. Bottom line, people are clueless! Once you get your spot for the CG Fest are you stuck there? Which Apache does your friend have? We will have to get a fun run together for the spring.
It would be great to get a bunch of OSO members cruising in a pack.
Dan
Old 01-30-2002, 12:22 AM
Registered

32fever,
The 37AVH is what we are going to look at. I like step hulls. My trade-in is the only reason I would want to purchase through a dealer. It makes it so much easier.
I still love the 35 and was looking into purchasing another.
My wife’s biggest complaint about our 35 is the handholds and footrest. There is no good place to anchor your feat in the 35'. Zoomnfun and Miss Cig, are former 29 Fever owners. Her favorite thing about the Top Gun is the handhold being right in front of the passenger seat. Also they have good footholds for the passenger. I plan to also look at Cigarette, just not from National. We are not sure which direction to take. We aren't in any hurry. It gives me time to save some more cash. Another solution for me is to purchase a good used 42' and rack store it somewhere. I just wish they had the Headroom of the others.

I talked with BoatMe, Marc and John, on Thursday night. I had never met him before. He showed us the boat and gave us the sales pitch on SOTW. They are
real nice guys. I stopped back there three times on Saturday and was never able to talk to them. Saturday is a bad day for the show. I wish I could make the run but can't make any commitments that early in the summer because of my business. I didn't splash it till July 4th last year. : Mad:

What day did you go to the show? I saw someone with the leather Fountain Racing Jacket at the show on Saturday night. Have you posted any pictures of your 32 yet?
Dan
Old 01-30-2002, 12:47 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally posted by candyman35:
<STRONG>32fever,

What day did you go to the show? I saw someone with the leather Fountain Racing Jacket at the show on Saturday night. Have you posted any pictures of your 32 yet?
Dan</STRONG>
WE went Friday to Chicago. I have pics on the web of my boat, but old ones, when it was still at Riverview on a nasty old trailer. I have new pics I want to scan and put up, and then I'm good to go:-) (my new trailer makes it look SO much better) We also have some running pics to add.
I didn't wear any boating stuff to the show. I guess it's my way of seeing how they treat me without knowing what type of boat I have

Buying boats is tough. YOu can go out looking for a Tahoe and buy an Escalade. NOt unheard of. Costs more, but what $20k? You don't go looking for a Powerquest, Baja, etc. and say, ah, I'll just get the new Outerlimits or Cig. Cause it can be $100k plus more.
Old 01-30-2002, 10:26 AM
MIdnightRider

Candyman-First my Fiance's TWO biggest complaints are, " Isn't enough that all you do is talk about boats, now your addicted to that computer, and your going to sit there every night typing about boats", "YUP". I just made a boat payment on Monday, this is as good as it gets for me right now.

My buddy DID own an 89' 42 the last 3-4 years, he'll be in a Fountain or Cigarette this year. I loved that boat, he always tried selling it to me, but way to much money, those are like 120k-140k.

We definately have to get a run going, were tired of just sitting in GH. Were doing the Smoke Run, the 4th in Chicago, Traverse Bay the 16th of JUNE, Put In in August, and the Venecian festival up north. Thats on my itinerary so far. Plus like memorial, labor, and CG are great in GH. If Construction continues its recent rebound this year, I want to bring the big dog to florida for the winter and do two or three runs. It would be nice to meet some new couples to run with once in awhile.

Old 01-30-2002, 09:06 PM
Registered

MIdnightRider,
That sounds like my wife. Solution is to get a second Confusser so she can get on line too. Is your better half into boating as much as you? Mine use to boat all the time. She went back to school to finish her degree and has been taking summer courses, which kills the summer. Hopefully she will be finished after two more semesters and I can get her back out there.

I noticed you’re from Grand Rapids. Back in the good old days I did the show car circuit. When we did the Grand Rapids show we would bring police barricades to stake out are parking spots on the bridge over the river. Don't tell Troutly! You couldn’t find parking anywhere there were so many people. We had a lot of fun in Grand Rapids.
Dan
Old 01-30-2002, 09:36 PM
MIdnightRider

Kris likes boating, but she is not at my level. She sees the money I spend and thinks maybe it would be better saved, LOL. We met again, we went school as kids, at the lake, but I live to boat, I'm an ex national jet-ski guy. I learned to ski while I was a kid boating with my parents, went through that, and came back to boats in 95'. Hey, I just bought her a brand new house, all she need do is pay for her car and half the house, thats it. The rest is mine, and I love it, want it, and can afford it,Boating. I do wish she could fully understand what I did. I say, "you do know that's a 42' right?", she says , "You know, without that boat, we could have bought a bigger house." You never win.