Default Are mercruiser oil filters any good

I have been running Quicksilver oil filters hoe do they stack up against others
Old 07-04-2005, 03:42 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: Are mercruiser oil filters any good

Merc. flows great with low filtratiion.

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-06-2005 at 05:06 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 01:09 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Are mercruiser oil filters any good

Hydro,

I am running 500EFI's, do you have a part number for the amsiol sd and K&N tall filters that would work?

From tech post are you saying Fram hp is way to go. I am getting a little confused on best filter (micron + flow)

Last edited by Summer Heat; 07-05-2005 at 01:13 PM. Reason: after reading post in tech
Old 07-05-2005, 08:08 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Summer Heat
Hydro,

I am running 500EFI's, do you have a part number for the amsiol sd and K&N tall filters that would work?

From tech post are you saying Fram hp is way to go. I am getting a little confused on best filter (micron + flow)

need more flow...sacrifice some trapping and go with a Fram HP.

HP4 Short
HP12 Tall

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-06-2005 at 03:51 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 03:51 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I hit the jackpot!! Finally a Merc. Rep who knows his stuff...talked for a 1/2 hour with him....

The Merc rep told me Fram or Hastings makes all their filters.

The Mercury Marine Mercruiser 16595T1 HP or "Racing filter" flows as seen below:

30wt @ 160*F = 12.5 gpm.

The Mobil-1 M-1-302 flows 8.1 gpm on Bob's test (with the 30wt oil being colder at 70*F)
at 160*F the Mobil-1 flows the same as the Merc HP.

So it's easy to see if you switch to a synthetic oil that pumps easier vs. a conventional oil and use a M-1 filter as well which flows more oil/min you ought to see lower oil pressures than you were previously seeing I would imagine. All these pressure "speculations" critically depends on oil temp. and viscosity.

Any questions call Mercury Racing Techs @ 866-637-2234.

FYI: The Mercruiser 16595T1 oil filter comes standard equiptment on the HP 525 efi.

If I had HP525's I would run either the M-1...or an Amsoil SD or Perhaps the Baldwin or Fram HP. Depends on my mood I guess.

Still not sure...use the Merc Filter...

........now please let's all get a life!

Last edited by Hydrocruiser; 07-06-2005 at 04:35 PM.
Old 07-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Our recent research showed that the best choices after the CH4 reformulation remain:

Mobil-1 20W-50
It's my favorite as it has more Boron and ZDDP than the Redcap formulation had as anti-wear agents and it does not use moly which is what could potentially cause flat-topping of rollers. It also has an additive that prevents corrosion even during extended storage and it holds up to 518*F which is highest of any oil.

Amsoil 20W-50
Solid base and good additives. Lots of ZDDP.

Redline 20W-50
Although it has lots of moly it is a true ester based oil. It can be used in a jet turbine whereas any other might call for an early landing. It is said to mix with gasoline ...lots of gasoline and still remain a lubricant. Big blowers spew gas into the oil and that is a niche' for this oil. Lowest co-efficient of friction. The amount of moly and silicon in this oil make it a questionable choice for an aluminum engine.

Royal Purple
If you like lots of moly and ZDDP it's for you. Very slick and low co-effecient of friction. It's mostly a group iv oil with 20% group 2 carrier.

Mobil-1 15W-50 Goldcap
Still decent and with a shot of STP to increase ZDDP.. a decent oil to use until the reformualtion.

We noted earlier this week that Chevron UK now makes all the oil for Volvo-Penta. They now have a synthetic 15W-50 and a 75W-90 synthetic gearlube.

Valvoline Racing 20W-50 conventional oil has lots of ZDDP in it.

Filters:

Amsoil SD....10micron trapping... very good flowing

Mobil-1........10 micron trapping... good flowing

Baldwin.......under 20 micron trapping...good flowing

Fram HP......under 20 micron trapping....excellent flowing

K & N..........25 micron trapping....very good flowing

WIX............under 20 micron Trapping...good flowing

Mercury HP..about 20 micron trapping... good flowing

Gearlube....

It's about the only area we don't have nailed down yet.
The one thing about Mercury HP is it does prevent corrosion or rust if water gets in....we can not say that about the rest....yet..

I may still be hung up on Mercury HP...as I know many of you are. If the internals are dry synthetics run cooler...if the drive gets wet it looks like Merc HP protects better from what I have read.

Moly in the gearcase is a good thing....so RP and Redline shine in that respect. Mercury HP has antimony which is excellent.

I don't like the large amount of calcium Redline has which gives it that creamy appearance....I would like to see RP up their base a bit more...I do like Mobil-1 group iv PAO formulation. The former Amsoil formulation failed Bob's rust test with a nail...is the new formulation more rust or corrosion resistant??

I still think Mercury HP is the one to beat.
Old 07-07-2005, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hydro,

You are the man with this stuff..... I have come out of warranty and it's time for another 25hr change, so it is going to be Mobile 20W-50 and M1-302 filters for now and looking into purchasing Amsoil's.

I have only been on this forum about 1yr 1/2 but your posts have been a great resource. Thanks
Old 07-07-2005, 07:52 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Summer Heat
Hydro,

You are the man with this stuff..... I have come out of warranty and it's time for another 25hr change, so it is going to be Mobile 20W-50 and M1-302 filters for now and looking into purchasing Amsoil's.

I have only been on this forum about 1yr 1/2 but your posts have been a great resource. Thanks

It has taken a year and a half of research and then having the guys here try the products out and get back to me with their experiences.

We have some tried and true products and some that need more work.

It is obvious now more than ever that the Mobil-1 is the best "off the shelf filter". The Amsoil SD will out flow it and filter about the same..but the Mobil-1 and the Mercury HP are about the same in flow. So it's your call. Those are my personal 2 top picks unless you need a ton of flow and then it's Fram HP or going to a dual filtration setup.