Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers >

Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers

Notices

Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers

Old 09-05-2005, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers

Thanks for the info to all !! I was out on the water this weekend until now so I'm just getting to read the responces. Sounds like big blocks might not be the thing but the twin small blocks could be the answer for me. Maybe a single hp 500. I'm hoping to do something this month but don't want to make a mistake and buy the wrong boat. The 29 seems to be the best compromise if I want to trailer and for the waters of Long Island Sound. I need some reasonably good sea handling. The speed is secondary for me. If I can get the wife to go and keep her fairly comfortable I can have some fun. Otherwise she won't go. .
Old 09-05-2005, 08:09 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I didn't read all of the posts but these things sit low in the water, go single and it won't be as apt to swamp from passing wakes!
Old 09-05-2005, 08:18 PM
Registered

I would get the single 500efi.
Old 09-05-2005, 10:01 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

After having ridden in both, another vote for the 29' single. Seems to have better weight distribution, plus the savings on maint and gas. Just my $.02.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:21 AM
Jerry B
Platinum Member

My 29 has twin 502's. I have never been in a single engine 29 so I cant make a comparison. I'm sure there are pros and cons to both. The twin does sit low in the back. If you were in big water that could be a concern. However it's nice to know if one engine quits you can still move. You cant beat the sound of the twin and it's way cool to start em up. Two times everything to repair when needed. Just a question. How much more fuel does it take for the twin to run 60 mph vs the single. Do the twins do it easier with less throttle or does it just take twice as much fuel? Just wondering what the answer might be.
Anyway I like mine but with fuel costing what it does it has to be considered. I'm sure the single is a better balanced boat.
Also I'm sure Fountain stoped building twin big block 29's for a reason.
Good luck on you purchase.

Jerry.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:09 PM
Registered

Would you consider a 32’? If you want stability, the bigger the better. There was some discussion about single vs. twin. I always found that twins were less susceptible to walking when trimmed out and that the added weight helped it to cut through the water. You can also trailer a 32. If interested, see my add at http://www.offshoreonly.com/esvon/page-6568.html.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers-copy-boat-003-custom-medium-.jpg  

Last edited by GotTheFever; 09-06-2005 at 11:14 PM. Reason: Adding Pic
Old 09-08-2005, 01:42 PM
Registered

Default some fountain questions

would have started my own thread but i'm not "gold or platinum"

How fast should a 27 fever with a single 502 go?

I have a 1991, 27' fever with a freshly rebuilt, stock, carbureted 502. about 20 hours on it now. Fastest i've gotten out of it is 58 mph on the GPS at about 4900-5000 RPM. Is that right? I was hoping for at least 65.

What can i do to get a few more MPH out of it fairly cheap? I was thinking of swapping out the intake, maybe the carb in the spring.

What size carbs are on these stock? Block serno says it's an MPI motor, and this is not the first boat it's been in. I think this is stock 1991 running gear despite being a 1994 block. The carb has 8867 and a W on the top of it.

Rebuilt a month after i bought the boat (inside of oil pan was painted, sucked up seaweed, overheated oil, paint chipped off, sucked into oil pickup, spun #1 and #2 rod bearings). Boat previously had a supercharger (boost gauge in dash) but i'm not sure if that was on this motor ever or not.

Also, what's an extension box? Saw that mentioned in this thread.

Thanks for the help. Been using the search function, proved helpful so far. Not being able to start a thread without paying sucks though.

Last edited by sleeper_dave; 09-08-2005 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:09 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

If no one paid OSO wouldn't be here.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CMG
If no one paid OSO wouldn't be here.
If my car club had this many advertisers we wouldn't have to charge dues.

That said, i still may upgrade my membership if i find this place to be helpful and informative. But i'm not going to jump in with my wallet open without first testing the waters.
Old 09-08-2005, 06:32 PM
CMG
VIP Member
VIP Member

wait til you see the uncensored section

Quick Reply: Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.