Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers >

Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers

Notices

Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers

Old 09-01-2005, 11:24 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers

I'm new here and lookin for some advice. Seems like there are some really great people that know what they are talkin about on this site. I am having a hard time deciding between 2 , 29 fevers I have found. One is a single 500 hp 1998 and the other is a twin 385 hp 1997. How much should I pay. Both beatifull shape low hours with trailers. Any opionions would be appreciateded. Should mention that I would be using the boat on Long Island Sound, CT and rivers in CT. trailering not rack storing or bottom painting.
Attached Thumbnails Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers-fever-29-vt.jpg   Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers-32-fever-2.jpg  
Attached Images  

Last edited by bgriff; 09-01-2005 at 01:31 PM.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:28 PM
Registered

Default Re: Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers

Originally Posted by bgriff
I'm new here and lookin for some advice. Seems like there are some really great people that know what they are talkin about on this site. I am having a hard time deciding between 2 , 29 fevers I have found. One is a single 500 hp 1998 and the other is a twin 385 hp 1997. How much should I pay. Both beatifull shape low hours with trailers. Any opionions would be appreciateded. Should mention that I would be using the boat on Long Island Sound, CT and rivers in CT. trailering not rack storing or bottom painting.
Welcome........first of all I will give my 2cents on this.......I bought a 94' with Twin 502 Mags.......I paid 50K.........the boat is immaculent........I did blow an engine and have since replaced the one with a new engine..........as far as the performance..........I think you're better off going with a single engine......not much performance difference that I'm aware of..........you will also save a TON IN GAS! That's my 2cents worth...........got any pics?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:25 PM
Registered

Thanks for the responce, saw your thread on the purchase you made and the problems you had. I felt your pain. WOW. hope all is settling down for you. I'm tryin to figure out how to insert pics. When I do I will post them. When should I be thinking about manifolds and risers on a 250 hour fresh water boat?
Old 09-01-2005, 01:44 PM
Registered

more pics
Attached Thumbnails Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers-fever-02.jpg   Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers-fever-vt01.jpg   Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers-32-fever-2.jpg  

Old 09-01-2005, 03:14 PM
Registered

Rgriff, I have a 91' 29 with twin 454 mags and I love it except for the gas. I've had it for nine years and have done many upgrades and modifications to it to enhance performance and keep it modern. If the price is similar or the same for both the 29's you're looking at, I would suggest the single 500HP.
Gas for one reason, and if you buy the twin 29 you have to buy two of everything if you are going to do any upgrades. Although I personally like the idea of having the extra motor back there especially on long runs, going on poker runs or going offshore. I guess it's six in one hand half dozen in the other. But weigh all the options completely.

Dago, I read your post about your troubles. Sorry to hear about that. It sounds like things are getting better. If you have any questions about the boat in particular let me know. I know the 29 twin very well....especially after two rebuilt motors, adding hydraulic steering, stellings extension boxes and numerus other upgrades. Nixter
Old 09-01-2005, 03:40 PM
Registered

Nixter and Dago,
I would be very interested in hearing what propos you all are using. Nixter I would be very interested in hearing what the extension boxes did for you.
My boat is 1993 with twin 454 mags.
Sincerely,
Allen
Old 09-01-2005, 03:46 PM
Registered

Thanks Nixter!! I have always preferred twins for safety reasons as I go to Block Island, RI and such a little off shore but one of my concerns is resale. I want to be able to move up as easy as possible when the time comes. Will twins bring more interest at even dollars? I understand the gas thing especially now but that is a lesser concern for me. Not being able to sell the boat easily or having to blow it out when the time comes would potentially be more expensive I think? This is my problem, I love the sound and look of the twin being a gadget freek but don't want to sacrifice the end game if that is a mistake. Maybe you are right ....6 of one 1/2 doz etc but I do not know the market for these boats that well yet and most everyone selling thinks thiers is the best way to go if you know what I mean. Guess I need to get a little push to make up my mind. Thanks again!!
Old 09-01-2005, 04:56 PM
Registered

Allen,Dago,Rgriff

B4 I added the extension boxes, hydraulic steering, Gil headers, water crossovers and hydraulic roller cam it ran 72-74MPH..written test report 77MPH....maybe on a great day low humidity, salt water and the stars were perfectly aligned.
I first added the Gil exhaust and then the water crossovers and that gave me 2-2.5MPH increase not to mention 200+ LBS in weight loss with two big block motors. Then I had my port motor blow up.....main bearings and rod bearings went out. Both engines had close to 500Hrs some hard...IE Poker Runs. So after rebuilding the port motor a second time...first time I rebuilt it stock with original flat tappet cam. lasted for 1 hr....I decided to go hydraulic roller for both motors. Best advice I ever listened too (From Teague Custom Marine) the engines sound great and the maintanence is non existent other than oil changes. While I had the engines out, I decided to throw more money into it and add Stellings extension boxes and hydraulic steering....highly recommended on boats over 70MPH and the newer Fountains have it. So after all said and done, I run 80-81MPH GPS.
Now how much is from the engine mods and how much from the boxes it's tough to say. But if I had to guess I would say 1.5-2MPH from the boxes and 2-2.5 from the new cams. But the biggest thing with the boxes is that 1) it handles much better, 2) the prop is in cleaner/undisturbed water, 3) I was able to add the hydraulic steering thru the boxes and not drill any more holes in my transom and 4) it is easier to remove the drives for routine maintanence. I also was able to use my same props....24" 4 blade Hydro's and the RPM's were still between 5100-5400 depending on weight/passengers.

Right now I am testing an IMCO 2" shortie out to see if it is going to be beneficial or not. Preliminary tests say yes, once I get the boat on plane but it struggles to get on plane with a 26" 4 Blade Hydro XR. So I'm looking/trying to borrow a HYdro or Mercury 5 Blade round ear. I think that will help the situation. Hope this helps.

Rgriff, It sounds like the twin 29 is more suited for you but check on line@ Boattrader & yachttrader.com to see what the going rate for 97' twin 29's and 98' single 29's are going for. Obviously the newer the boat the higher the price is going to be wheter single or twins. But either model you choose will take the right/unique buyer when it comes time to sell/trade up. FeverMike on the board could probably offer alot of advice on the single 29's since he owned one for a few years. I know he said the twin 29's tend to ride hard/stern heavy in really rough water. That is why I am trying to lighten mine up as much as possible. The single 29 is definitely a better balanced boat if you are looking for all out speed in the rough stuff.

Oh well, I think I've rambled on enough about this ....but feel free to ask any other questions if I haven't answered what you were after........Next project...all aluminum blocks, aluminum heads and CMI headers.....Ha, ha...isn't boating fun? Nick
Old 09-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Registered

Here are some photos of my 91' twin 29!
Attached Thumbnails Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers-dsc09987.jpg   Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers-dsc09985.jpg   Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers-dsc00046.jpg  

Old 09-01-2005, 05:16 PM
Registered

Here are some more. I have since taken the red stripe off the sides of the boat. It looks much better all Black. Now I just need some updated pictures. Let me know if you need any detailed photos of the Extension boxes and hydraulic steering upgrades. Nick.
Attached Thumbnails Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers-dsc00860.jpg   Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers-dsc00861.jpg   Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers-dsc00859.jpg  

Quick Reply: Lookin at a couple of 29 fevers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.