Fuel in bilge!!! >

Fuel in bilge!!!

Notices

Fuel in bilge!!!

Old 10-04-2005, 09:26 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel in bilge!!!

I have a 1998 35 fountain. I fueled up on sunday and I always lift the hatch and do the snift test. We ran around for a while and I kept smelling gas. I just thought it was the vent cause I had just topped it off.

Well........When I got her back on the lift and raised the hatch, the bilge had about 2 gallons fuel in it. I cleaned everything up, flushed the engines with no sign of leakage.

I made sure everything was dry, the next day when I got home from work I went to the boat and found about 2.5 gallons of fuel in the bilge.

As far as I can see all the fuel lines are tight. It appears that the hose connections are dry. I checked them at front of the tank where the fill and vent connects and also at the back of the tank where the lines leave.

Today I cleaned the bilge and turned off the ball valves where they leave the tank.

There is not a drain port that runs from the center of the boat to the bilge so if the tank would be leaking how could it leak through the fiberglass wall in the bilge area.

Has anyone had a fuel leak problem in a Fountain.
I know that Sonics are famous for the tanks to leak but never heard of a Fountain.

But again I just don't see how it could leak into the bilge cause it is sealed!!!!! maybe there is a drain port all the way at the stern of the boat.

If it is the tank how in the hell would you ever get it out !!!

Thanks for your input.

Joe Pasko
Old 10-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: Fuel in bilge!!!

you didn't fill your water tank with gas did you?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

could be a ruptured tank DO NOT RUN intill you fix it, i think you must cut the floor, call fountain i think they may of had some bad tanks but not sure.

Last edited by customryder; 10-04-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-04-2005, 10:39 PM
Registered

water seperator leaking? i had a brass fitting from the fuel pump leak once!?
Old 10-04-2005, 10:44 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

With the ball valves off, still leaking? Need to narrow down the options whether it is in the tank area or in the bildge. Might be a simple fuel line/pump leaking and siphoning out. We can only hope this is all.

I see you checked all the vent, fill, outlet and fuel sender locations for leaks and found none. Removed the inspection covers under the rear seat. Loose separator? I have heard of some having bad fuel tanks. That requires the floor to be cut open.
I also noticed on mine that there is no drainage from the fuel tank compartment. So that would make you wonder how fuel got into the bilge from a sealed compartment. Kinda points towards a bilge problem.

I 2nd the motion. Don't run it.
Good luck

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 10-04-2005 at 10:50 PM.
Old 10-05-2005, 07:31 PM
Registered

well the tank is leaking. got home tonight and found about 2 gallons of fuel in the bilge.
The ***** is I just filled up.I have 150 gallons of fuel to get rid of.

Any one have any ideal of what its going to cost to have the tanks replaced. I guess I'll take it back to Fountain. They put them together I guess they can take them apart better they anyone else.
Old 10-06-2005, 02:40 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by THATS IT
well the tank is leaking. got home tonight and found about 2 gallons of fuel in the bilge.
The ***** is I just filled up.I have 150 gallons of fuel to get rid of.

Any one have any ideal of what its going to cost to have the tanks replaced. I guess I'll take it back to Fountain. They put them together I guess they can take them apart better they anyone else.

that sucks............i feel for you Bro. Tom
Old 10-06-2005, 07:44 AM
Registered

That really does suck, but at least it happened in sept not may.Good luck. Get it to fountain asap or you might not see it till next sept,
Old 10-06-2005, 07:50 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey Joe, Art Lilly does that kind of stuff all the time and will do as nice a job as you will find. Plus he is way closer so you can stop by and see what's going on. He did my buddy Marty's boat from the hull up (stringers, transom, tanks, floor) and it was like a new boat-his guys do exceptional work and know their Fountains. Let me know if you need his number or if there is anything else I can help with.
Old 10-06-2005, 05:42 PM
Registered

Received 62 Likes on 23 Posts

I know of a 97 35 Fountain that ruptured the tanks. Art Lilly Fixed it.

Quick Reply: Fuel in bilge!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.