Notices

Shorties?

Old 03-18-2006, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Shorties?

Ran Dom 32 - Sounds as though we might be doing the same upgrade with the same hull and same x-dim. Mine won't be ready for several weeks with the engine upgrade. What do you think is the best deal:

2" lower complete - $3,380 (1 yr warranty)
or
lower case - $1,680 and short vertical shaft - $630

Is there anything that would make up the difference in price other than the warranty? My Bravo's only have 85 hrs, so should be in pretty good shape.

I also, could replace the upper gears for $1,300 a side making them x-gears, not sure if that would be worth it?

Opinions???????
Old 03-18-2006, 03:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

shop around for the vertical shaft, I picked up the shafts for 175 each (Imco new) or just go for the IMCO case & shaft for $1750 -
Old 03-18-2006, 03:31 PM
Registered

That's quite a bit of difference in $. Is it true the Imco shorties have had problems with water pressure? Is there no difference between the castings of the Imco and Bravos?
Old 03-18-2006, 04:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

you may end up having to add sea strainers if you go with the imco to relieve some of the water pressure. (this is one of the reasons I went with the bravo shop lower.)
Old 03-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Registered

Guess I'll go with the Bravo Shop shorties. Are you going to buy a spacer just in case, or do you think the 2" will be fine?

What about the uppers, I see you are going with stock Bravo upper at 600. Do you think that 700 NA warrants a change out to the x gears?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Ran-Dom 32,
How about your opinion on the -2 Sportmasters you tested. How was the handling and speed compared to the standard Bravo lower? Would appreciate your input! Thanks!
Old 03-23-2006, 09:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

RaggedEdge, I had very limited test time with the Sportmaster -2 lowers on my boat, Just enough time to conclude that they were definitely faster in all conditions, the boat did seem to ride a little flatter, but overall the handling was not adversely affected. I did have the opportunity to purchase those sportmasters I tried , but I'm hoping the B-Shop lower will be a bit faster. I know what takes to gain a few MPH - you can't beat the shorty set up as far as $$$ vs speed gains. Hopefully I will be testing in a few weeks with the new lowers & I will let you know how I make out.
Old 03-26-2006, 09:12 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Ran-Dom 32
RaggedEdge, I had very limited test time with the Sportmaster -2 lowers on my boat, Just enough time to conclude that they were definitely faster in all conditions, the boat did seem to ride a little flatter, but overall the handling was not adversely affected. I did have the opportunity to purchase those sportmasters I tried , but I'm hoping the B-Shop lower will be a bit faster. I know what takes to gain a few MPH - you can't beat the shorty set up as far as $$$ vs speed gains. Hopefully I will be testing in a few weeks with the new lowers & I will let you know how I make out.
Ran- - Dom 32 ,
Thanks for the reply ! Did you feel the shorter cases gave the drives enough trim leverage to free the hull up ? Also you mention having the chance to purchase the Sportmasters you tested , would you know if they are still available ? New ? Used ? Have not seen any listed for sale anywhere lately , might be interested for my boat. Fully agree that this is possibly the best bang for the buck , gain some speed and skip the hassles of hot rodded engines.
BTW also have a '99 35 , 500's and the Anniversary paint. Came from Lake Cumberland , Marginmn on here was previous owner. Great boat , have been very happy with it !
Good luck with your set up , really looking foreward to hearing how well you make out. Thanks Again !