Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Re: bottom wax

http://www.amonline.net.au/fishes/faq/fastest.htm

Old 03-28-2006, 03:12 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Damn you learn something every day. I had always thought a sailfish was a little blow boat for use by wannabe sailors while in training to move up to a larger version where they can get an engine and motor about like we Powerboaters they seem to hold in such high regard. I know they think highly of us because when we go by they always stand and give us that "You Are Number 1 " salute , they don't seem to do that for their fellow blow boaters. Clearly they like us better.

Wax On - Wax Off ? Helps with cleaning for sure. The only thing I ever found always helped with speed was plain old Horsepower! Maybe " Horsepower In A Can ". Venture capital anyone ? Worked for the Nitrous guys ! Well they used the bottle angle , but it worked ! Need to work out the easy on easy off angle and we are in.
Old 03-28-2006, 06:34 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 10x
The wax will only help you to clean it easier. The shark is the fastest fish in the sea. Did you ever feel how smooth his skin is? Like sandpaper.
You'd be right a sharkskin like surface is technically faster. I have a customer who actually paid to have a coating like that put on his boat. Wax does help to protect and looks a lot better, but doesnt really do it for the speed... Actually there was an arcticle some years ago in one of the big boat mags about actually sanding the boats bottom to aid in aquiring a little more speed..

Jamie
Old 03-28-2006, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually without wax the pores are exposed and will aerate the bottom better...more bubbles more speed.
Old 03-28-2006, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Downtown42
Actually without wax the pores are exposed and will aerate the bottom better...more bubbles more speed.
Listen 2 this hydrodynamic expert! He is a Used car dealer!
Old 03-28-2006, 08:49 AM
Registered

How did you know? Was a used car manager back in 80's at Acura dealer...don't tell anyone.
Old 03-28-2006, 09:05 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

I have heard sanding will make it slightly faster but my boat isn't really a hot rod anyway so in the interest of cleaning I think I will wax it. Thanks for all your opinions!
Old 03-28-2006, 10:29 AM

Just makes it easier to clean, I mean how much of a Fountain is in the water at WOT anyway???? Like 12" and any wax on that 12" is being basically pressure washed so it won't stay on more than a few minutes anyway.

WILL
Old 03-28-2006, 01:51 PM
Registered

http://forums.screamandfly.com/forum...ad.php?t=58456

check this out..
i have always heard will be slower if youwax it.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:37 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

A wet sanded surface is the fastest. Take two pieces of glass plate , a perfect surface , wet them , place them face to face , then try to pull them apart. Surface tension holds them together. Why do you think manufacturers spend mega dollars to redesign hulls to add steps ? To break that surface tension between the hull and the water. Way back when , guys racing small hydroplanes would "trick" out the bottom and lower unit by using flat black paint then wet sand it to gain a little edge on the other guy. Some also created little "Steps" in the running surface to get a little more speed. Did it work ? You tell me. Why do Step bottom vees run faster than Non-Step vees ----- Less Surface Tension. Take it one step further ----- Why do Cats run even faster ? Even Less Surface Tension by virtue of the fact that the air packed into the tunnel creates " Lift " that further reduces the Surface Tension , also helps to carry the weight of the boat , allowing the horsepower to concentrate on moving the boat foreward.

So why don't manufacturers give us a nice wet sanded bottom on our new boat ? Likely the added process would add real money to the price of the boat , labor costs being what they are , and most of us would ask when were they going to buff out the bottom cause it looks like chit !!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 04-02-2006 at 08:46 AM.

Quick Reply: bottom wax

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.