Notices

Lake Scum

Old 06-28-2006, 08:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Scum

I had to leave the 35 in the water for a night while we were changing out the lifts...now I have this brown scum line around the water line and my drives have scum on them ...I know not to use a pressure washer...anyone know of a cleaning product to use??? thanks, whip
Old 06-28-2006, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Lake Scum

What is the harm in a pressure washer?
Old 06-28-2006, 09:27 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by johnnywhip
I had to leave the 35 in the water for a night while we were changing out the lifts...now I have this brown scum line around the water line and my drives have scum on them ...I know not to use a pressure washer...anyone know of a cleaning product to use??? thanks, whip

On off by marykate will take it off instantly and the wax too , they dont recomend it on the drives tho.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:34 PM
Registered

I've heard not to use pressure washer on drives because water will get inside the drives thru the seals?? Anyone else heard that??
Old 06-28-2006, 09:56 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Slimey Grimey. That'll clean anything.
Friends use pressure washers to clean their boats and drives to get the 2 month growth off. Never had a problem of blowing past seals. Not that it isn't possible I guess.

What is in the water that would leave a scum line that can't be washed off from 1 night in the water?
Old 06-28-2006, 10:44 PM
Registered

It's been building up just rafting out during the days...but it really got bad overnight...our lake has alot of chicken manure/phosphoros is the only thing I can think of different from other manmade/ damed up rivers...whip
Old 06-29-2006, 10:54 AM
Registered

I use a pressure washer and as long as you don't use full pressure at close range, you're fine.

I would recommend a hot water pressure washer. This will take all the slime right off in seconds!
Old 06-29-2006, 12:54 PM
Registered

simple green and a brush or rag. easy. most of the line is oil scum anyway. its from generator exhaust when tying up not from chicken sh!t.
Old 07-01-2006, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Rush is right. ON & OFF by MARYKATE is great. There is no need for a pressure washer. I have been using it on my hull for over 4 years without any problems. Just wear rubber gloves and don't use an expensive brush. I use the throw away white china bristle chip brush that is typically used in applying fiberglass resin. ON & OFF works in seconds and removes the stains you are referring to. Just rinse it off with the garden hose. It does not remove grease stains or dirt. I do not use it on the outdrives. Once or twice a year I will use Meguiars Cleaner Wax on the drives. It is labor intensive but it does a good job.
Old 07-05-2006, 12:28 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Starbrite hull cleaner for the hull. You can get it from Boatersworld or WestMarine (or out of the bottom of my dock locker). It wipes the scum right off, no scrubbing. It will take the wax off, so you do have to wax afterward.

No good personal recommendations on the drives that don't involve a lot of elbow grease. Regardless of what you do, I'd make sure they are good and wet before you start scrubbing/cleaning. Once that stuff dries it's 10X harder to get off IMHO.

I was told not to use pressure washer to avoid putting that much pressure around various joints/holes in the hull (i.e. hull to deck joint, bow rail mounting points, cleat mounting points, etc.). No one ever mentioned anything specific about the drives, so you may be OK there. Others here probably have first hand experience on this one and can help you out.

Quick Reply: Lake Scum

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.