Notices

500 EFI, 200 hour service requirement

Old 12-09-2006, 07:45 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: 500 EFI, 200 hour service requirement

Originally Posted by rickdarling
Dkahnjob -

Do you have your boat serviced in California? If so, where at?
I live relatively close to you and am potentially looking for a new shop.

I've been going to Paul Pauff (and they have been great) but it is a little bit of a haul for the smaller stuff...

Thanks - Rick
Hi Rick,
I have been using Maveric Marine Inc. 14832 Calvert St.
Van Nuys, CA 91411 818-989-4445 Eric Bortman is the owner and he and his crew are really sharp on MerCruiser parts and service. When I stopped by on Friday he was in TX at a Mercruiser school. I went back in today to talk to him.
It is going to cost $2600.00 to pull the drives, change their oil and pressure test them for leaks, replace all fuel and oil filters and new engine and drive oil, do a leak down test and new plugs for both engines. He also said that since I don't know any history on the boat he can download info from the computer that will tell us how many hours the engines spent at each RPM range and whether they have been bumping the rev limiter or not. He said if all looks good I could possibly run another 50 or so hours before topping the engines. He also said that Mercury recomends replacing head gaskets, when I suggested that we could change springs without pulling the heads. The top end service is $3,000.00 per engine. If I can wait 50 hours I will probably just do the whole deal.
David
Old 12-09-2006, 10:22 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
Hi Rick,
I have been using Maveric Marine Inc. 14832 Calvert St.
Van Nuys, CA 91411 818-989-4445 Eric Bortman is the owner and he and his crew are really sharp on MerCruiser parts and service. When I stopped by on Friday he was in TX at a Mercruiser school. I went back in today to talk to him.
It is going to cost $2600.00 to pull the drives, change their oil and pressure test them for leaks, replace all fuel and oil filters and new engine and drive oil, do a leak down test and new plugs for both engines. He also said that since I don't know any history on the boat he can download info from the computer that will tell us how many hours the engines spent at each RPM range and whether they have been bumping the rev limiter or not. He said if all looks good I could possibly run another 50 or so hours before topping the engines. He also said that Mercury recomends replacing head gaskets, when I suggested that we could change springs without pulling the heads. The top end service is $3,000.00 per engine. If I can wait 50 hours I will probably just do the whole deal.
David
Thank you David - I will keep them in mind when it's time.

I've got new 496 Mag HOs (less than 75 hours) so, I am good for a while in terms of anything other than normal maintenance. I believe the last service I had cost me about $700 for the motors and $800 or so for the drives. I typically have a laundry list of little items as well.

Mine is a 96 single step 35 lightning and I top out at about 76 MPH - sometimes a bit higher. Although I got a pretty good deal (and the motors were basically new), I'm sorry I didn't hold out for injected blue motors....
Old 12-09-2006, 11:48 PM
Registered

I've got new 496 Mag HOs (less than 75 hours) so, I am good for a while in terms of anything other than normal maintenance. I believe the last service I had cost me about $700 for the motors and $800 or so for the drives. I typically have a laundry list of little items as well.

Mine is a 96 single step 35 lightning and I top out at about 76 MPH - sometimes a bit higher. Although I got a pretty good deal (and the motors were basically new), I'm sorry I didn't hold out for injected blue motors....
Rick - look at it like this - No distributor, no caps and rotors, no timming to set, fresh water running through the block and heads, change the oil and filters every 25 hours - hell, the 496 HO is as close to maintenance free as you can get and they will run way past 500 hours without so much as a wimper, much less a refresh. As much as I like the 500 EFI and the kick in the a$$ they give you - Id much rather have what weve got - definately easier on the wallet and much more trouble free time on the water. Dont feel bad for not holding out for blue.
Old 12-10-2006, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by itilldo
you changed the plugs and cap every year? is that really necessary or are you just being anal (which is a good thing)
Plugs needed changed...it was a carb engine...maybe a little anal there. Cap and Roter always looked pretty good but with a single engine boat I never took and chance and then again never got stranded with a problem either. If you ask my friends they would say yep I am pretty anal with my stuff.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:52 AM
Platinum Member

Rick,
I was actually looking for a boat with the 496 HO motors because I wanted the closed cooling system, I stumbled onto the 500 EFI package. I haven't had it in the water yet, so I can't comment on the performance, although I am sure I will like it.
Dave
Old 12-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
Rick,
I was actually looking for a boat with the 496 HO motors because I wanted the closed cooling system, I stumbled onto the 500 EFI package. I haven't had it in the water yet, so I can't comment on the performance, although I am sure I will like it.
Dave
Oh yea - your gonna like it!!!
Old 12-10-2006, 08:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 35 fountain
Rick - look at it like this - No distributor, no caps and rotors, no timming to set, fresh water running through the block and heads, change the oil and filters every 25 hours - hell, the 496 HO is as close to maintenance free as you can get and they will run way past 500 hours without so much as a wimper, much less a refresh. As much as I like the 500 EFI and the kick in the a$$ they give you - Id much rather have what weve got - definately easier on the wallet and much more trouble free time on the water. Dont feel bad for not holding out for blue.
Excellent point - there is certainly a strong plus side. However, I suspect it will feel somewhat tempered the first time Dave blows by me with his 500s....

Last edited by rickdarling; 12-10-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 12-11-2006, 05:39 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Arrow Re: 500 EFI, 200 hour service requirement

If you enjoy life at constant WOT then definately.