Survey or not?

Notices

Survey or not?

Old 03-12-2007, 02:03 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Survey or not?

I just put down a deposit on the '01 35 lightning like I stated in another post. It was at Lake Cumberland Marine. Those guys seem to be a first rate dealership and that is why I went there. This boat has 230 ish hours on the 500 efi's. Would it be worth the money to get a survey or could I even get an impartial one with the size and prominence of LCM. It is a brokerage boat but they have almost all of the service records and it looks absolutely wonderful. I am going to email Jim (salesman) and see what he thinks and what process they go through before they sell a boat. You don't get to their level by selling junk but this is a BIG purchase. I just don't know if one would be warranted and a waste of money.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

will your insurance company require one anyway??
Old 03-12-2007, 02:45 PM
Registered

My insurance company did not require one but my finance company did. I am using SunCoast, so far they have been awesome to deal with. I was told any performance boat over 3 years old will require a survey. A dealership like LCM might have some push with the finance company and may not require a survey or they be able to complete the paperwork to get you though without one. If you need someone to perform a survey let me know, the guy is out of Cincy and did my survey within 2 days of me contacting him. He is SAMS certified and seems to be very knowledgeable and detailed on the survey.
Old 03-12-2007, 03:25 PM
Registered

I would say always get a survey.

And never take the dealers recommendation on a surveyor. Find one yourself, with recommendations from independant sources.

I had a survey done when i bought my 27, I took the advice of the broker on a mechanic to check out the boat and a surveyor. The surveyor missed some obvious fiberglass problems out of sheer laziness (luckily nothing serious) and the motor blew up 2 months after the mechanic gave it a clean bill of health (but to be honest, there's no way he could have known that the inside of the oil pan was painted).
Old 03-12-2007, 06:30 PM
gcoffshore.com
Platinum Member

Hell Ya You Want A Survey. Always Trust me I didnt get one onetime and boy did i get burned from the same first rate dealership you are talking about i thought the same thing and get your own survey not one they suggest.

Last edited by zitoracing; 03-12-2007 at 06:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:49 PM
Registered

Always get a survey on a pre-owned boat, regardless of where you buy it. There are plenty of good surveyors accredited with NAMS or SAMS. There are a handful that specialize in performance boats.

Good luck with your new boat.

T
Old 03-12-2007, 07:41 PM
Registered

Get a survey!!!!!!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:12 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Thanks for all the input guys. Looks like I am in the market for a surveyor. PM me with names of guys ya'll have used in the past or have a good rep in the KY area. Especially with performance boats. Also include what I could expect to pay if you have any idea.

Last edited by gofastlvr; 03-12-2007 at 08:13 PM. Reason: edit post
Old 03-12-2007, 08:16 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Originally Posted by tssteph
My insurance company did not require one but my finance company did. I am using SunCoast, so far they have been awesome to deal with. I was told any performance boat over 3 years old will require a survey. A dealership like LCM might have some push with the finance company and may not require a survey or they be able to complete the paperwork to get you though without one. If you need someone to perform a survey let me know, the guy is out of Cincy and did my survey within 2 days of me contacting him. He is SAMS certified and seems to be very knowledgeable and detailed on the survey.
I haven't heard back from my insurance company yet. I am really dreading that quote. I'm not financing much and they are handling it so I don't expect to have much problem there.
Old 03-12-2007, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 419 Likes on 280 Posts

survey. no questions at all!

Quick Reply: Survey or not?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.