Broke my Windshield today >

Broke my Windshield today

Notices

Broke my Windshield today

Old 06-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broke my Windshield today

We had a great day on the water in Lake Havasu today, boat ran good and not too crowded. Then had a really bad day backing into the Garage. The red T handle on the garage door opener got hung up on the windshield of my 35 Classic and I heard this loud snap noise. I knew that it didn't sound like a good noise, but wasn't sure what had happened. Then I saw that the handle got caught between the two halves of the windshield and broke the left windshield, a crack that goes almost top to bottom. I know this isn't going to be cheap.

Is this something that I can make an insurance claim on, and if so how will it effect my insurance costs in the future. I think I have $1,000.00 deductable, but I think I remember reading somewhere here that a new windshield is in the area of $4K.

I know that there are two local West Coast boat windshield manufacturers, Finneys in Lake Havasu, and Wayne Earl Co in Orange county CA. Has anybody used either of them?

Any thought or suggestions would be appreciated.

I think I will have to replace both sides, because there is some crazing on both and if one side is new it will make the other side look really bad.

TIA
David
Old 06-29-2007, 10:09 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,278 Likes on 559 Posts

You might try a homeowners claim.

However, if you were towing (backing) the boat with the truck during the accident, this is technically a motor vehicle accident that falls under your truck insurance.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:22 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
You might try a homeowners claim.

However, if you were towing (backing) the boat with the truck during the accident, this is technically a motor vehicle accident that falls under your truck insurance.
Truck or Boat?????
Old 06-30-2007, 09:10 AM
Registered

Call Fountain and replace it with a Race Fairing!

RAF
Old 06-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by runafever

RAF
What is the racing fairing, is that the white shortie type windshield? What is it made out of?
Old 07-01-2007, 07:13 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Dkahnjob
What is the racing fairing, is that the white shortie type windshield? What is it made out of?

The race faring is aluminum I believe, same height and configuration as the plexi windshield, usually more expensive. I love the look of the faring but for my heigth it dosen't work. I can not sit and see over it well, and I don't want to stand all the time.

Shop around here and E Bay you might find one, or someone who has changed to one and has the std windshield to sell. One tip here - I had looked at a 35 a few years ago that had a cracked ws, when checking price with Fountain was told to replace both sides, they said over the years the tints change slightly due to material suppliers and often do not match existing.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:11 AM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by runafever

RAF
+1 on the race fairing!

Easier to acces the bow, looks better and much stronger. You could have one fab'd more much less than the Fountain plexi windshield.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Platinum Member

I think I am going to go with a stock windshield, rather than the race fairing. I really like the looks of the stock windshield on the Classic (same as the EX), and my wife likes the venturi so she doesn't get the wind. I also am not tall enough to see over the windshield unless standing and I don't always want to stand.

I will for sure have to replace both sides because of the crazing, one side new and one original would not look right.

If anybody knows of a windshield that is for sale please let me know.

Thanks,
David
Old 07-01-2007, 09:33 PM
Registered

broke mine on a tree towing. progressive paid for one side plus install. i put both sides on for the ck. called robert at fountain cost was like $1245 plus shipping $300?
robert 252975200 ext 3
Old 07-02-2007, 09:49 AM
Platinum Member

Hi Tommy,
Was that $1245 for both sides or per side? Did your insurance go up any after you made the claim? When you did the install how difficult was it, and was the windshield pre drilled?
Thanks,
David

Quick Reply: Broke my Windshield today

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.