Windshield Damages >

Windshield Damages

Notices

Windshield Damages

Old 09-04-2007, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Damages

Yesterday I was removing my Bimini top and swung around and hit the side windshield with one of the Bimini's stainless support legs. The base of the leg knocked out a 2 inch square chunk from the top of the port side windshield, just behind the passenger's seat. What are my options?
(1999 Lightning with smoked grey windshield) Is the plexiglass repairable? Would I have to replace the port side of the windshield (if not fixable) or is the WHOLE windshield one big-ass piece?
Looking for a reasonable fix,... slightly classier than an OSO sticker over the damaged area.
Carder
Old 09-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Registered

For a temporary fix, you can superglue the broken piece back in. The crack will be noticeable though.

Same thing happened to my cabin door
Old 09-04-2007, 03:23 PM
Registered

I think the wind screens are multi piece. Replace it with a race fairing! much more durable. More money but no problems the same thing happens again
Old 09-04-2007, 04:25 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You can buy just the needed peice from Fountain. Or buy some Weld On acylic glue from a plastic shop. Better yet, have them glue it. just takes a second. The joint will be as strong as new. Use a syring to apply. Hold the 2 peices together and shoot the glue in the joint trying to keep it off the sides. It'll cloud the sides. The glue works off capillary action. We glue acrylic all the time at work. Many times the joint is barely noticable if no air bubbles in the glue joint.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:30 PM
Registered

I like the Acrylic glue suggestion... unfortunately the square piece is in lake huron. What kind of place sells similar smoked grey material? I am assuming the window is plexiglass. It would be easy to get a slightly larger piece and cut the damaged area to fit it.
Carder
Old 09-05-2007, 04:33 PM
Registered

Here's a picture of the carnage, just behind the seat:
Attached Thumbnails Windshield Damages-window.jpeg  
Old 09-05-2007, 09:47 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I replaced both my side panels 4 yrs ago do to them crazing. (spider cracks) Still have them, but not sure if they would have a large enough good area to cut out. What size peice would it take to repair yours, allowing enough to square up the larger section on your side panel? You'll want straight and square joints. Leaving for LC poker run in the morning, so will check back in 1st of next week.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 12-02-2011 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-05-2007, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

[QUOTE=Carder;2258600windshield) Would I have to replace the port side of the windshield (if not fixable) or is the WHOLE windshield one big-ass piece? Carder[/QUOTE]

When shopping a few years ago I was looking at a 97 35 that had a stress crack on on one side. Called Fountain and inquired about this, they will/would sell just one half, but said supplier had changed over the years, and stated the tint of the new half would likely not match the older half. It is a two piece deal, and the same as curently used on the Executioner model. Might look for someone that has gone to the faring and wants to make the windshield go away.
Old 09-06-2007, 10:59 AM
Registered

Awesome ideas!
I need about a 3 x 3 in. square piece to repair.

I wasn't sure if the windshield was a one or two piecer...
good to know it's two. I will consider a thread for a used windshield.. think I would rather try the repair first.
Carder
Old 09-08-2007, 10:24 AM
Registered

Check with your local glass company. My friend had them cut some material for both sides and it looked great. They may be able to get the material to match the front.

Quick Reply: Windshield Damages

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.