2 inches of water in cabin floor

Notices

2 inches of water in cabin floor

Old 09-26-2007, 11:41 PM
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wouldnt you have to have a ton of water in the bilge for it to get
to those upper drain holes?[/QUOTE]

Rain water in the rear deck area, draining into the floor drains, with the bow low the water would end up in the cabin or at least under the step until it somehow got into the cabin floor, probably rising above the false flat floor.
Just a guess.
Old 09-27-2007, 07:18 AM
Registered

How do you get the water out from the bilge under the cabin if it wont drain out. I cant seem to get the water to drain out despite the attitude of the boat. I also dont know how far the open bilge goes forward under the cabin and there doesn't seem to be any way to access the forward bilge directly.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fountain 47 sc
How do you get the water out from the bilge under the cabin if it wont drain out. I cant seem to get the water to drain out despite the attitude of the boat. I also dont know how far the open bilge goes forward under the cabin and there doesn't seem to be any way to access the forward bilge directly.
shop vac.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:31 AM
Registered

How do you get it to where the water is accumulated in the bilge?
Old 09-27-2007, 10:54 AM
Charter Member # 545
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think we talked about this in another thead. Have owned 5 Fountains. The only time I have had water under the step in the cabin is if the bilge gets water in it. I know that the fuel tanks are under the floor and it is supposed to be sealed so nothing can run from the bilge to the cabin....but. Again the only time we have had that problem is when the bilge got water in it. The wetter the bilge the bigger the problem in the front. Their must be a way it gets in the front from the back. Also the way the boat sits is decieving. It looks like the bow is higher than the stern, when in its really not. When its on a lift or trailer the bow could be actually lower causing water to go to the lowest point. In our 06 38, the bilge was always wet. When I parked the trailer, I would raise the bow alot higher with blocks and pull the plugs on the transom to drain, and it seemed to help. I have also heard about the rails being resealed, anchor locker, ect. The amount of water that was in my cabin under the step couldnt have come from that. I was only caught in the rain once in 2 years, and the boat is stored in a insulated building. Not sure how, but it seems their is a conection between the bilge and the water under the step. Our 07 38, dry bilge, guess what....yep, no water under the step.

Last edited by Beak Boater; 09-27-2007 at 11:07 AM.
Old 09-27-2007, 10:56 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,248 Likes on 541 Posts

While it may not be an ideal way to remove the water; this does work if you have a bilge pump at the bottom of your step:

Take a shop vac, and cover the bilge pump output on the outside of the hull with the hose from the shop vac. Flip on the vac, and it will suck the water right through the bilge pump.

The ATs have an automatic bilge pump at the bottom of the step which will remove water from this area. You can also opt for a pair of drain plugs on the back of the step as well.
Old 09-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
While it may not be an ideal way to remove the water; this does work if you have a bilge pump at the bottom of your step:

Take a shop vac, and cover the bilge pump output on the outside of the hull with the hose from the shop vac. Flip on the vac, and it will suck the water right through the bilge pump.

The ATs have an automatic bilge pump at the bottom of the step which will remove water from this area. You can also opt for a pair of drain plugs on the back of the step as well.
Fountains have a bilge pump under the step also. Problem is that its higher than the hole in the
floor leading to the under step bilge. The other problem is that the carpet has 2 inches of water
on it & will start to stink if it sits. Not to mention the extra hour of clean up.
One other thing...I cant believe how much building residue I found while looking into this.
screws,clipped wire connectors,saw dust,paper,electrical tape. The $hit is everywhere.
If you ever bought a car ( thats cost a tenth what a boat does) you would scream bloody murder!
Nice quality control Reggie! Whats it take to clean your mess after assembly? 10 minutes?
Old 10-02-2007, 08:32 PM
Registered

i keep mine in storage that is very dry, rain, one weekend on the water took me three weeks of cleaning to get it all out, tons and tons of building residue, almost wondered if someone had done some major repairs when i saw it. the fu@#$%* sink is were i got a bunch of water, dont know were the line runs or were it sits but i tried taking the cooler out one day i was so pissed, but that is one major pain in the a@#and i was trying 2 do it angry. So i disconected the step down bilge line that runs out the side and put the sink drain to it, not a drop of water in the side compartments or the step bilge since! I plan on running a new line out the side of the boat for the step bilge some day, i run on a small calm lake and figure if i am needing to keep my boat from sinking by using that little piece of sh*& pump i have a lot more problems on my hands! If i could only keep the water out of my engine bilge i would be happy i have checked and sealed every thing and cant ever get that 2 stop(including the rub rail 2).
Old 10-02-2007, 09:48 PM
Registered

Is the cabin floor under the carpet plywood or fiberglass? I have water under the cabin in the bilge but the pump under the stairs is dry. I know the water is further forward but I can't see it or get to it. I am thinking of riping the carpet off the sole of the cabin and cutting an access hole to reach the forward bilge, but I only want to do this if it wont compromise the structure of the boat/hull. Anyone know?
Old 10-03-2007, 08:35 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I checked my boat recently and there is no new water in there. Like I said before, my main issue was from punching holes in the anchor locker. The water in there was very clean and at the same my bilge pump had failed. I had to kind of keep up with things for a couple of weeks as residual water would collect, but it's all good now.

Quick Reply: 2 inches of water in cabin floor

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.