Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Exhaust Question for a 2005 42 >

Exhaust Question for a 2005 42

Notices

Exhaust Question for a 2005 42

Old 10-04-2007, 03:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Exhaust Question for a 2005 42

The flapper on one of my Gil Silent Choice valves and the flapper for exhuast tip are missing on my stbd (aft) engine stbd side exhaust from this past weekend.
Was wondering if anyone knows the brand for the exhaust tip and if the flapper can be bought as a replacement part.
For the Silent Choice diverter, can the flapper and possibly the cross shaft be replaced without replacing the entire valve?

Thanks in advance. Here's a picture. The exhaust hose is pretty cooked too.
Attached Thumbnails Exhaust Question for a 2005 42-stbd-engine-tail-pipe.jpg  
Old 10-04-2007, 06:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been missing one flapper since day 1. I have externals and am not too worried about it because I believe you have to buy the whole tip for some $$$. My headers come up high enough and have a steep enough of an angle heading out of the boat that it would take something extreme to push water back up there. You might be ok just leaving it alone. These things do "disappear".

The tip flapper does not come seperate that I know of, but I could be wrong. you can get a replacement butterfly for your diverters very cheap. What motors? 525's?
Old 10-04-2007, 07:58 PM
Registered

i bought a replacement flapper from eddie marine, i pulled my cmi header and brazed the flapper with the rod inside the tip, kept the tip cool with water, its still working great.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:49 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,255 Likes on 548 Posts

Long time no hear Bill! How are you two??
Old 10-09-2007, 08:56 PM

Unsane:

Roger that. Its the aft engine(525 EFI), but there's plenty of height, so I'm not too worried about any water getting back up into the engine. The external flapper is still there too.

H2Xmark:

The guys at Fountain said the flapper for the tip had changed in the past few years. They believe they are CMI tips. Trying to find out from Shogren what the part is. I hope to just be able to tack it in with my MIG welder. Probably have to pull the tip for that. If anyone knows what the exhaust tip brand is...would appreciate it.

Sydwayz:

AB and I are doing well. Starting to get busy at work but trying to get some boating in before the season ends on the Potomac. This exhaust thing is messing me up for the Saturday Tim's radar run. The entire seal for the exhaust diverter shaft was corroded pretty badly and about to fall out it. This was definitely a saltwater boat before we got ahold of it. The good news, I found the source of water in the bilge after a days boating. She's slowly coming around. Glad to hear your back in the saddle after SML. Have been wanting to run down the James to Hampton, but I've got to get these warranty issues ironed out before the season ends.