Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Bottom Blue Printing >

Bottom Blue Printing

Notices

Bottom Blue Printing

Old 10-04-2007, 09:57 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Jryan - you are located fairly close to me. Do you have any information, the guy's name, contact information, etc. I would definitely be interested. Thanks.
Old 10-05-2007, 12:13 AM
10x
10x
VIP Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of the guys in the Chicago area go to Tom McNabb who owns Captain Nabbers shop in Morris Ill. The guy's been doing this for about 25-30 years now.
2 years ago he replaced all the stringers in my engine compartment, (except for the main center one). Replaced the complete transom, and blueprinted the bottom from the wind faring back. Gave the bottom a race finish when completed.
Don't know how much of an improvement it gave me cause I changed power during the process. What I will say is that I personally know about a half dozen other Fountain owners that had Tom do their bottoms, and they ALL were impressed with the results.

It all depends on how bad or wavey the bottom is before the job is started. He's a real reasonable and fair guy to deal with. Most of the guys I know, go there, and he gives us a super great deal.
He gave me a price, and a year later, he still stood by what he quoted me the previous year. He's kinda like the "old school" kinda way of doing business. I paid him half up front and told him that I expected a quality job. He even threw in a bunch of extra things that he found wrong, and touched up every nick and scratch on the boat, then buffed the whole boat for me, and when I came to pick it up, I asked him how much for the extra stuff he took care of, and he told me to forget about it.
Don't find many guys in this kind of boat business like this. As a matter of fact, he did the red 35 Fountain from LOTO, that won the shootout back about 3-4 years ago. Can't remember the guys name, but he ran a single carb class and won it a couple years in a row. Guys got a 42 Fountain now that I think says "Raymonds" on the side of the boat. He was at the shootout this year, think his name is John Malecki.

Nabbers # is 815-941-1546. ask for Tom, tell em Fountain Frank's a friend of yours. You won't be disappointed.
www.chicagopowerboat.com

Last edited by 10x; 10-08-2007 at 08:40 AM.
Old 10-05-2007, 06:23 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

I be the current owner of said red Fountain from LOTO...you know...the Shootout class winner! Wish I had the same power as John did right now, though!

Nabbers also did the windscreen on my boat. Plus, last year I had a little gel-work done, and it was FLAWLESS...which can't be too easy on an older RED boat.
Old 10-05-2007, 05:35 PM
Registered

I appreciate the information from Chicago. Sounds like it may be worth if. I spoke with Billy Reedy of Reedy Marine which is right beside Leon Dereby and Highport Marine in Dennison, Texas area. He said he had been blue printing for many years and has great results. He estimated $2,500. Anyone had experience with his shop?

I will give the guy a call in Chicago.

Typically, is it the case that over the years the bottom loses some of its shape, or is it not perfect from the factory?
Old 10-05-2007, 05:57 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
I appreciate the information from Chicago. Sounds like it may be worth if. I spoke with Billy Reedy of Reedy Marine which is right beside Leon Dereby and Highport Marine in Dennison, Texas area. He said he had been blue printing for many years and has great results. He estimated $2,500. Anyone had experience with his shop?

Typically, is it the case that over the years the bottom loses some of its shape, or is it not perfect from the factory?
ask him what he would charge to blueprint a 42 Fountain and build a white race fairing for it
Old 10-06-2007, 11:07 AM
Registered

I just spoke with Tom at Nabbers. He is a little more expensive, but it sounds as though he is quite detailed. He wants the boat for 3-4 weeks. For my 35', it would cost around $4,000. He was sure that it would equate to more speed, especially if it had never been done before. He said the racers have it trued up yearly. I may wait until spring, it's just going to sit on the bunks until spring.

Tomtbone - he said it would be obviously more for a 42 but would need to speak with you about your boat.
Old 10-06-2007, 08:38 PM
Registered

What are people finding after their hull has been blue printed? Are they picking up speed? If so, how much? I don't mind spending the $, but would like to hear from those that have been there. Thanks.
Old 10-08-2007, 05:31 AM
Registered

Billy has done some work for me and he does fair work at an above average price IMHO. I would'nt stear clear of him but I would try to find someone who has had their bottom done by him and see what their results were. Remember it really depends on how bad it is to start with and you can see that with a 4 ft strait edge
Old 10-08-2007, 08:07 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

The hull can have a hook or a bend in it from the factory for a couple of reasons. Some manufacturers put a hook in to decrease planing time or make up some other performance deficit. Sometimes it just warps a little when it's made and the manufacturer considers it within tolerance and let's it go. Over time sitting on a trailer or lift can cause the hull to deform a little too. This is why a touch up is needed every so often on some boats. Others will seemingly last forever. Also be forewarned that in some cases the boat will slow down after blueprinting or not gain any speed at all.
Old 10-08-2007, 12:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by marylandmark
Thanks Ted!

In Reggie's new Fountain buyer DVD he meantions improper trailer postion causes problems with the boat bottom (48 minutes in to it..)
helps to keep the boat far up on the trailer so the transmon does'nt hang off and form a hook .Have seen 3/4" hooks from hanging off the trailer a couple inches

Quick Reply: Bottom Blue Printing

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.