Who has 2inch shorter drives on a 2004-2007 >

Who has 2inch shorter drives on a 2004-2007

Notices

Who has 2inch shorter drives on a 2004-2007

Old 11-20-2007, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
i have used the shorty drives on the 35 525 lightnings. i have also tried hydro p5's and p6's , as well as 6 bld herrings. depending on your set up, x dim. , gear ratio, laden weight, hours on engines , p5's were all around best for top end performance with out sacrificinf too much cruise or acceleration..

by example an 06 38 and an 06 35 , same power same ratio, same prop, the 38 accelerates faster. and is a couple clicks faster as well.
Is the 38 faster, quicker just because of the stager, shorties compared to the 06' 35 that doesn't have that? Guess it makes sense when you consider the performance they gained from 06' to 07' on the 35' by staggering and running sportmasters.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Registered

Ragged Edge - nice boat, congratualtions! Are you going to get to test it out before spring?

Dkahnjob - the shorties were the ticket on my set-up, I would imagine that our x-dim is similiar. I haven't had problems getting on plane with the P5Xs. I just had the diffuser ring extracted and the trailing edge worked again, so I won't know now until spring.
Old 11-20-2007, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 1995 35 is 16 3/8 with stock drives.
Old 11-20-2007, 10:18 PM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Rebel_Heart
Ragged Edge - nice boat, congratualtions! Are you going to get to test it out before spring?

Dkahnjob - the shorties were the ticket on my set-up, I would imagine that our x-dim is similiar. I haven't had problems getting on plane with the P5Xs. I just had the diffuser ring extracted and the trailing edge worked again, so I won't know now until spring.
Rebel Heart,
Thanks for the info. What pitch are your props and what is the reason to do the additional work on the diffuser ring and trailing edge? What engines? and top speed now?
Thanks,
David
Old 11-21-2007, 12:08 AM
Registered

Received 363 Likes on 123 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
You Betch'a . '06 35 Lightning w/ 525's and 57 hrs. About one week old at this point, picked it up from East Coast Flightcraft in Middleton, MA. A great bunch of guys to deal with, and a great deal on the boat and trailer as well. Nicely equipted with the monster dash with chrome gauges and polished bezels, the polished billet controls, GPS recall speedo, the whole boat is done in a black and silver theme, even the embroidered logos are done in a silver metalic thread.

Wow, looks really sharp Peter. Of course we need interior pics, speed, handling characteristics, etc....

In fact, better start a thread on it.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 112 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
Wow, looks really sharp Peter. Of course we need interior pics, speed, handling characteristics, etc....

In fact, better start a thread on it.

There are more pics and info in the thread "East Coast Flightcraft Rocks" here on the Fountain forum. And also on the Formula forum @ TIBBC "THE THREAD" . I've got a bunch of pics that I need to download and resize, I'll work on that.

The twin step is a different animal than the single step version, runs much flatter and just kinda floats over chit, not that the other is bad, the new design is just that much better. The Reggie report says 92 mph, we saw just shy of 90 on tthe GPS speedo on the test drive with 4 on board and fuel. I need a little more seat time, but think there might be a little left. Little prop work or 5 blade props might help as well. Some have claimed as much as 93+ with the Maximus props. I really started out looking for a 38, but they are few and far between, given the choice of older 38 or much newer 35 I opted for the 35. The size works well for us and the thing is a real rip to drive, which is 90% of the deal for me still. This one, like my last one from you, is just so different looking I decided to grab it. I got a super deal from East Coast Flightcraft and they were super to deal with.

Hope you and Lorie have a good Thanksgiving, I'll give you a call in the next few days and we can catch up. Talk to you soon, Peter

Last edited by RaggedEdge; 11-21-2007 at 07:51 AM.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RaggedEdge
Would that be the Hydro P5? Or the P5X, on the 35 Lightning?

Also would you consider the 19" X on my boat, '06 35, to be fairly agressive? Thanks, Ragged
the P5, not the x. in my experience the x gives a liitle more bow lift thus affecting high speed handling. not in all case but it has.
Old 11-21-2007, 07:00 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by turnerrd
Is the 38 faster, quicker just because of the stager, shorties compared to the 06' 35 that doesn't have that? Guess it makes sense when you consider the performance they gained from 06' to 07' on the 35' by staggering and running sportmasters.
the stagger is faster and does improve the characteristics of the boats across the board. the relation is shortie to shortie, non i.ts to non i.t.s, ratio to ratio and power to power.
the 35 is slightly faster in some cases, but rom my testing, using gear ratio, prop, and case selection, i have found the 38 to be all around better as for number's.
Old 11-23-2007, 12:13 AM
Registered

Dkahnjob - let's see, to answer your question as to why the prop work. Sometimes, I wonder myself - the props are 31 P5Xs and I'm looking for a few more rpms to get closer to my dynoed max hp. I've already had them blueprinted once, which amounted to better acceleration and better handling characteristics. I've never tried the P5s, so I don't have any comparison between the two. I do like the way the boat performs in comparison to the Bravo, hopefully my drives won't mind too much.
Old 11-23-2007, 03:52 PM
Registered

one thing to keep in mind as far as the drives go is the extra blade does reduce slip, and does add load. however the upside is that that ectra blade also reduces the chop, or harmonic transfer from the prop spining thru the water. in essence there are more blades in the water so you dont have that miniscule time, where the drive is being loaded and unloaded from the slip going up and down from the lack of blades being in the water at one time, as with the bravo or any 4 blade.
you do need to pay more attention to throtleing in light to medium chop or rougher water as to avoid major unloading of the drivve, which WILL break it. no matter which prop your using.