Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig. >

42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig.

Notices

42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:48 AM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rought water

Try runnin northeast below the chesapeake bay bridge,with the wind blowin out of the northeast at 25 mph. It's a hand full.My 2cents John
Old 12-30-2007, 12:46 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by fountain 47 sc
I've never had my boat in the ocean, only on Lake Michigan but all my relatives who have boats are in NJ. There is no comparison. I think my boat would do fine but it only hits low 70's on GPS and has a lot higher freeboard than any of the other performance boats discussed.
We have an area of water up here where the Atlantic Ocean meets the Hudson River (Verrazano Bridge ) off Sandy Hook that on any given day can produce easy TRUE 8-10 footers EVERYDAY .The crazy thing it can from dead flat to 10s in an hour.
Old 12-30-2007, 03:36 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Fenderjack
Try runnin northeast below the chesapeake bay bridge,with the wind blowin out of the northeast at 25 mph. It's a hand full.My 2cents John
I wouldn't go as far as saying Sandy Hook has the roughest water around... personally I think Freeport NY, Fire Island NY and Barnegat NJ gets worse...but it's definitely fun!! BUT, since we have limited intercoastal areas to run our boats in this part of NJ we have to venture out into the ocean or thru the Verazanno Narrows....it's the main reason I got rid of my Scarab Panther for an Apache....me and my passengers couldn't take the beating anymore..

It sure does get rough by the Chesepeake Bay Bridge!! I think it's considered the ocean on the east side of the bridge no? anyway...a few years ago I went over the bridge and there were 6-8 ft waves breaking on a sandbar near the north section of the bridge, it was pretty cool driving over it and having the spray coming up onto the bridge!

I would say anywhere north of Frisco NC, up to Maine can get downright nasty! There seems to be a calm area from the southern most portions of north carolina down thru georgia, then it gets rough again in Florida...

http://www.lucidideefastboats.com/2006opaoceancity.html
Old 12-30-2007, 03:46 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Freeport on flat days this past summer.....

Old 01-01-2008, 12:51 PM
Registered

There are very very few days and places up here (NJ ) where you can actually approach 100 mph in a 40ish foot boat.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Registered

Isn't twin 1000's and #6's overkill if you are always limited by the water conditions?
Old 01-01-2008, 01:31 PM
Registered

For where and how i intend to run this boat the 6 drive is an absolute must ,more so then 1000 hp engines.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
I wouldn't go as far as saying Sandy Hook has the roughest water around... personally I think Freeport NY, Fire Island NY and Barnegat NJ gets worse...but it's definitely fun!! BUT, since we have limited intercoastal areas to run our boats in this part of NJ we have to venture out into the ocean or thru the Verazanno Narrows....it's the main reason I got rid of my Scarab Panther for an Apache....me and my passengers couldn't take the beating anymore..

It sure does get rough by the Chesepeake Bay Bridge!! I think it's considered the ocean on the east side of the bridge no? anyway...a few years ago I went over the bridge and there were 6-8 ft waves breaking on a sandbar near the north section of the bridge, it was pretty cool driving over it and having the spray coming up onto the bridge!

I would say anywhere north of Frisco NC, up to Maine can get downright nasty! There seems to be a calm area from the southern most portions of north carolina down thru georgia, then it gets rough again in Florida...

http://www.lucidideefastboats.com/2006opaoceancity.html
I know the feeling i got caught in 8s coming up from Point Pleasant in the 30 Sutphen once .Over 30 miles of getting the living *hit beat out of me.This is the EXACT situation i want to avoid with whatever new boat i buy.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts

It sounds like you need an 41 Apache or 42 Cigarette. The Fountain has a great ride but in the big, big water your going to want the Cig or Apache.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:35 AM
Registered

There is a big difference between a 42 and 47 Fountain for comfort and dryness in that kind of sea.

Quick Reply: 42 Fountain in big water verses Apache or Cig.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.