Converted baja Owner . . >

Converted baja Owner . .

Notices

Converted baja Owner . .

Old 12-11-2007, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by US1 Fountain
Sydwayz, don't take anything I say personal or as defensive. I'm here for a good time, just as you. Just making conversation and trying to clear up some misconception. Don't want anyone to think it's a 32, it's going to sink. I appreciate your researching effort. I, with others keep hearing how they sink, but see no proof. 1 or 2 sinkings doesn't worry me. Hell, I see more Fountains in the trees than the number of them sinking. But who wants to be the 1 that did loose one? Not me.

Now heres my experince with the water in the bilges.
1st concern:
As in one of the links you posted, Fountain fails to seal the hull/deck joint 100% along the swim platform. Both my boats took on water there, along with a few others I have seen. A couple hrs and a tube of 5200 fixes this problem. We should not have to do this! Because the way the 29's and 32;'s sit in the water, it can be a big problem. My 32's pumps would cycle every several minutes, if I recall correctly. Been a few yrs. Enough of a problem that it was the 1st thing I addressed when I bought my boat. I hate water in the bilge.

2nd concern, rear blower vent tubes

These are not holes that are just above the water line.
They are openings, with tubes sealed to the openings on the inside. The tubes angle up wards right along the underneath side of the gunwall and extend abit forward. For water to pour out the end of those tubes and into the bilge, the back of the hatch will be under water. Probably a good 1 1/2' above water line. Then there's the blower flex hose attached to the end of the tubes. Just regular bouncing up down in the water won't push water up high enough to cause a problem. A rush of water coming up the back can cause water to enter, but it's not much. Any water to make it's way inside, will be pumped out by the 2 pumps. They will pump out the water faster than what can enter thru there. I had made some tips with flappers because I thought that was a conscern at 1st, but I know it isn't as much as I originally thought. Anything to possibly prevent any water issues, even better.

3rd, water over the hatch.
The hatch has a seal between the bottom and the deck. If water is getting past there, the seal is gone. The deck has a step under the hatch that works like a deflector. Again, it's not a straight shot into the bilge.

My boat does not get 1 single drop of water in the bilge now, period. Have had enough people sitting on the back to where their feet are in the water with an occasional wave splashing up on the hatch. The boat simply rolls with the waves.
I had it on Cumberland last yr for the poker run, as a spectator from the side lines. I think we all know how rough the water is then. I will say never had it on LOTO. During the PR. I had the rear facing out with 3-4 of us sitting on the hatch. Some of those waves soaked the hatch pad. Again, never a drop inside. I was actually surprised at that.

I can see if one was anchored from the back, in current or big waves and people sitting on the hatch to cause it to go down if they don't noticed the pumps are kicking on and the back is getting lower and lower. Not paying attention, and/or inoperative pumps.

Is it the good design. Not at all. Is it as bad as percieved. No.
Just a little owner observation goes a long way. The deck joint is more of an issue than anything else... in my opinion.

Now, a boat such as yours can sink too. Just takes a much larger wave and the right conditions.

Hopefully this novel sheds some light to the water in the bilge, sinking for an prospective buyers.

US 1 Fountain,
Well said! I have owned my 1998 32' Fountain for three years and the only water problems I have had was due to the vent tubes not being sealed properly and the thru hull exhaust pipes not being sealed. Once that was corrected we have had minimal water getting into the bilge with the boat sitting still with several people sitting on the swim platform. The old 32' Fever is a great boat. Anyone that hasn't had the pleasure of owning one should keep their opinions and comments to themselves.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

is it me or does anyone else notice the need for brand x to inadvertently compare themselves to a fountain by knocking them!
i have driven some of these other brands that knock the beaks and unfortuneately its just the consumer who suffers.

for the starter of this thread i say only, do you summon the yard of what ever or the stick in which it measures itself.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
is it me or does anyone else notice the need for brand x to inadvertently compare themselves to a fountain by knocking them!
i have driven some of these other brands that knock the beaks and unfortuneately its just the consumer who suffers.

for the starter of this thread i say only, do you summon the yard of what ever or the stick in which it measures itself.
I don't even visit other manufacturer's forum except on a very rare occasion and would never have the nerve to knock the other products. If you purchase the one you want, what difference does it really make? Like I said, had a 32' for 3 years, it was my first Fountian, and I'm now on my third.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:06 AM
Registered

Every boat has it's good points and bad points. I had a 32 Sunsation Dominator and it sat as low as the similar sized Fountain. I had to make sure the bumpers were positioned right also to keep it from going under docks and when rafting up. It took some water into the bilge under certain circumstances, too. If the waves were right. It was a great boat. It seems like Fountain is the standard by which all others are measured. I would never bash another brand especially one I have never owned.

Now, my advice. Go as big as you can afford. There is no substitute for size, weight, and power when it comes to rough water.

Here is a side note. This is my third boat in 3 years. My biggest complaint was the ride in rough water. We do a lot of poker runs and run out in Galveston Bay. It can get very rough with the wash off other boats, cruiser wakes, and large commercial ship wakes. My first boat was a 32 Baja it had a very harsh, and unforgiving ride, the next boat was a 32 Sunsation Dominator, it was fast and handled 80% of what we did very well, but we were still beat up at the end of the day. The last and I do mean last boat, we decided to stretch the budget and get the best. The 42 Fountain Ex is great in every situation. We can run at top speed all day long and walk away at the end of the day feeling good. I wish had just bought it the first time around. Would have saved a lot of time and money.

Last edited by gerritm; 12-12-2007 at 01:40 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 12-12-2007, 08:41 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by gerritm
Every boat has it's good points and bad points. I had a 32 Sunsation Dominator and it sat as low as the similar sized Fountain. I had to make sure the bumpers were positioned right also to keep it from going under docks and when rafting up. It took some water into the bilge under certain circumstances, too. If the waves were right. It was a great boat. It seems like Fountain is the standard by which all others are measured. I would never bash another brand especially one I have never owned.

Now, my advice. Go as big as you can afford. There is no substitute for size, weight, and power when it comes to rough water.
Right on! I've only got water in my bilge from the seal at the rear rub rail at the swim platform. Marine silicone took care of that. LOTS OF FOUNTAINS in Lake Travis in the summertime get 4,5,6-10 people on the huge sundeck. No sinkings.

Happy shopping! Like Gerrit says, go as big as you can afford.

Last edited by On Time; 12-12-2007 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-12-2007, 02:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 52 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa

No your not imagining anything, Fountains for some reason a lot of people like to take pot shots at them. As I stated in a earlier post I loved mine and it never gave me any problems and always received very positive comments for other boaters down at our lake.

They are great boats period, are they different than some others sure but that was part of the appeal to me and having been a Powerboat Magazine subscriber since 1980 they have always had positive reviews regarding their construction, handling and appearance.

It seems most of the comments are do to some peoples dislike of Reggie who has at times rubbed the other manufacturers the wrong way but he always seems to be able to back up his statements.

Personally some of the so called super boats don't do anything for me and that's not a knock on them just a personal preference thing.

Now if anyone is looking for a 29' in excellent condition give me a shout, I don't need three boats and since I picked up my cat earlier this year it was something I've always wanted and have it available.
Old 12-12-2007, 05:44 PM
Registered

A friend of mine had a 32 with no water problem. It had Prochargers on it and he was afraid of the speed so he sold it. They do sit low in the water and with any boating skills should not be a problem. I have friends with 35's and they love them. Big difference in ride. I have a 40 and then again big difference then the 35"s. I personally would sacrafice the age a couple of years and get the biggest best bought I could find. Like everyone would agree you cannot replace length.
Old 12-13-2007, 08:23 AM
Registered

You can buy a lot of boat if you're willing to go as far back as early 90's.

My 27' was 32k a few years ago, it's a '91. the same boat new that year was 120k. The only differences, other than age and wear, are the windshield, the step, the anchor locker, and a swim ladder, as far as I can tell. Go older and go bigger.
Old 12-13-2007, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by sleeper_dave
You can buy a lot of boat if you're willing to go as far back as early 90's.

My 27' was 32k a few years ago, it's a '91. the same boat new that year was 120k. The only differences, other than age and wear, are the windshield, the step, the anchor locker, and a swim ladder, as far as I can tell. Go older and go bigger.
i can say i agree to that in some cases,,,,.

but please,,,,,,,,,,,pleeeeeeaaassssssee tell me that doesnt apply to women as well!!!
Old 12-13-2007, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quick Reply: Converted baja Owner . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.