Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
35' Lightning spin props in or out? >

35' Lightning spin props in or out?

Notices

35' Lightning spin props in or out?

Old 01-01-2008, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35' Lightning spin props in or out?

I have a 01 twin step and am running 900 HP 540's with BMAX drives. I am currently running 112 GPS with the props spinning in. I have to keep a little trim tab dragging to prevent chine walking(stock trim tabs). I was considering trying to spin the props outward to keep from having to drag the tabs. When cruising at 80 or 85 and I lift the tabs the boat accelerates quite a bit so I figured they were costing me some MPH's. The other possibility was going with the large tabs so they wouldnt be at quite the angle these are now? What do you guys think?
Old 01-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered

I also am running standard length lowers and Hydromotive 31 pitch P5X's.
Old 01-01-2008, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Opinions will vary, mine is more seat time. Is it the tabs costing speed or the time spent in your fast, high powered boat.
Old 01-01-2008, 07:34 PM
Registered

I have been boating for 7 years and have had this boat for 2 years. I just rigged the boat with these motors and drives this past summer. I am just looking to make sure I have the boat properly set up for mods I just made. I was told by someone props spinning out was more stable but they didnt know how that would work on my boat. I usually just drag a little tab all the time and its stable, I am just not so sure its the most effiecient way of going about it.
Old 01-01-2008, 08:18 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In general turning in will make a boat more stable. However your boat was designed and refined to swing in. I remember when that hull was introduced. The race version went 96 with 500's. With your available power there is nothing wrong with dragging a little tab. I wouldn't suggest longer tabs as they can get you in trouble. The angle isn't slowing as much as the resulting increased wetted surface of the bottom. As I'm sure you know different props will make the boat act different. See what props the new Fountains are running they test more than anyone.

I would think some has put similar power in that boat and has tried different combinations. Have fun and be safe.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:27 AM
gcoffshore.com
Platinum Member

I have 01 T/S Lighting with 500 EFI's and run stock lowers XR's with Labbed 32 4B B1's and I run mine out I like it better I think it handles better and docks better. Just try it run in reverse one trip out thats what I did. Hope this helps.
Old 01-02-2008, 04:57 PM
Registered

Thanks, I will definitely try it next summer.......that is if we have some water in our lakes around here......Lake Lanier GA
Old 01-02-2008, 07:43 PM
Registered

the early model twin steps still had the drives a little deep, have you ran any 4 blade props on it? maybe a Q4.i would also try running the props turning out, to se how it handles at speed
Old 01-03-2008, 05:24 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
In general turning in will make a boat more stable. However your boat was designed and refined to swing in. I remember when that hull was introduced. The race version went 96 with 500's. With your available power there is nothing wrong with dragging a little tab. I wouldn't suggest longer tabs as they can get you in trouble. The angle isn't slowing as much as the resulting increased wetted surface of the bottom. As I'm sure you know different props will make the boat act different. See what props the new Fountains are running they test more than anyone.

I would think some has put similar power in that boat and has tried different combinations. Have fun and be safe.
What he said (Good Advice) a little tab may increase you speed as at top end will extend your run surface and add a little lift.. fountains w/step hull spin in!
Old 01-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Registered

I tried one pair of labbed 4 blade 34 pitch Hydros (I think they were a cleaver style)and they didnt work at all. I could barely get on plain and when I did, the acceleration & cruising was no comparsion to the 5 blades. The 34 pitch was a little much also, would have been better with some 33's I feel. I used to run 4 blade Bravos before these motors and it would still chine walk from 90MPH + unless I dragged the tabs.

Quick Reply: 35' Lightning spin props in or out?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.