Saving my Fountain >

Saving my Fountain

Notices

Saving my Fountain

Old 01-04-2008, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
rchevelle17, did you look at it enough to determine why it failed. I saw it but didn't feel right about getting too close.
Looked too wet, and soft to be a new thing, must have been wet for a while, and finally let go.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:15 AM
Registered

siddhi, are all the tabs of glass still bonded to the tank around the entire top of tank? If any tabs are loose or foam is fractured water can find its way in. What year is the boat?

rchevelle, that was truly a shame that was a nice boat. As you must know the smallest crack left unnoticed can prove disastrous.
Old 01-04-2008, 08:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah all of the fiberglass tabs were in place. I did remove them in order to try and remove the tank. However without cutting the foam or chipping it away I cannot even budge the tank. I plan to refibergalss the tabs back in place before I put the console back in. The year is a 1990!
Old 01-04-2008, 09:17 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
siddhi, are all the tabs of glass still bonded to the tank around the entire top of tank? If any tabs are loose or foam is fractured water can find its way in. What year is the boat?

rchevelle, that was truly a shame that was a nice boat. As you must know the smallest crack left unnoticed can prove disastrous.
Yes it was a nice boat, and Super Nice guys also, they had a good weekend anyhow, I ran into them on Duval a few times, and at the awards, and they were having a good time

I very well know about the smallest crack thing, one of my first boats was a wellcraft, need I say more
Old 01-04-2008, 09:22 AM
Registered

I have changed my share of tanks. The foamed in ones are a lot of work. I have found the only way to get them out is to remove the foam from around the sides an lift squarely with a fork lift to brake bond on bottom of tank. The ones that leak usually had water leak in between foam and tank. If you already removed the tabs you could take another step and dig a hole to lowest point in rear to assure your self its dry. I would base that decision on the condition of the seal the glass provided. It should have been sealed and drains provided so water could not lay on the tank.
Old 01-04-2008, 09:51 AM
Registered

Cool I will do that. If all is still dry would you say it is safe to just refiberglass the tabs and leave it as is? I feel pretty good about the condition at this point. I will plan to do a pressure test to check the integrity of the tank and if all is good I will just leave it alone. What would you do in my situation? I want to do it the right way.
-B
Old 01-04-2008, 10:04 AM
Registered

I would dig and check for held water. It will stink if it been wet a while. pressure check as listed on tank and if all good foam and seal up. Be careful not to break PVC tube.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Registered

Sounds good to me. I also heard from Fountain. They told me that the area for the tank is encapsulated and there should be no way water or especially sand should be under the tank. They said they are not allowed to have that area drain to the bildge in case the tank gets a leak. They basically said the same thing. if the glass tabs are good and there is not water in the foam seal it up and don't worry about it. So thanks for the advice. I will check everything out and go from there.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by siddhi
Sounds good to me. I also heard from Fountain. They told me that the area for the tank is encapsulated and there should be no way water or especially sand should be under the tank. They said they are not allowed to have that area drain to the bildge in case the tank gets a leak. They basically said the same thing. if the glass tabs are good and there is not water in the foam seal it up and don't worry about it. So thanks for the advice. I will check everything out and go from there.
Sounds like JIM knows his SHIP !!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 02:43 PM
Registered

Yes Indeed! Thanks for all the help and I hope to have her running shortly!

Quick Reply: Saving my Fountain

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.