Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Fountain
Water Pick-ups on Staggered Set-up >

Water Pick-ups on Staggered Set-up

Notices

Water Pick-ups on Staggered Set-up

Old 01-09-2008, 10:31 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would think that would be a good choice. Use 1 inch lines to strainer and #10 to chiller and #8 or 10 out. Use equal number of 90 degree fittings on each side. Outlet hose size can be changed to help fine adjust pressure. Did Latham have any suggestions for you?
Old 01-10-2008, 08:23 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN
I would think that would be a good choice. Use 1 inch lines to strainer and #10 to chiller and #8 or 10 out. Use equal number of 90 degree fittings on each side. Outlet hose size can be changed to help fine adjust pressure. Did Latham have any suggestions for you?
Latham said their pick-ups and strainers are designed for stepped hulls and allow the air to bleed off for good water flow. They said I can go with their 9" strainers because they can handle two chillers for 575SCi's and even enough water for two engines like I got. So if i wanted I could use one strainer for the engines and one strainer for the chillers with two pick-ups feeding the chillers and the lowers feeding the engines.
Old 01-11-2008, 11:31 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you may want to use seperate strainers for each engine as well as an independant for the chillers. keeping things seperated for the main colling systems helps with debri situations.
in our 42 we have twin pickups in the bottom of the boat tee'd to 2 seperate 4 gallon strainers. each pickup feeds both stariners. the intercoolers are plumbed off the raw water pumps to avoid heat saturation of the chiller core itself during idling . and we have had some instances on consumer boats of core issues due to constant expansion and shrinking due to fluctuating temps.
not saying it will happen but worth considering during the install.
you may also want to install air bleeds in the tops of the strainers to bleed off air to help with cooling efficiency and to rid the incoming airated water of air.
Old 01-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by monstaaa
you may want to use seperate strainers for each engine as well as an independant for the chillers. keeping things seperated for the main colling systems helps with debri situations.
in our 42 we have twin pickups in the bottom of the boat tee'd to 2 seperate 4 gallon strainers. each pickup feeds both stariners. the intercoolers are plumbed off the raw water pumps to avoid heat saturation of the chiller core itself during idling . and we have had some instances on consumer boats of core issues due to constant expansion and shrinking due to fluctuating temps.
not saying it will happen but worth considering during the install.
you may also want to install air bleeds in the tops of the strainers to bleed off air to help with cooling efficiency and to rid the incoming airated water of air.
Sounds like there are "good" and "not-so-good" issues any way you go. How do engines pick-up water during idle if not plumbed off a raw water pump? That "heat-saturation" thing does not sound so good.
Old 01-11-2008, 07:51 PM
Registered

they dont. you need to be moving and use the natural pressure that comes from the speed of the boat, therefore the pressure created by the speed of the water passing the pick up itself.
i have done this before , both ways, single strainer feeding 2 engines. and 2 strainers, 2 pick ups, feeding both engines.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:02 PM
Registered

heres the twin can in the first pic. 2 feeds from 2 seperate pickups feeding the strainer, in this case a custom made unit with a capcity just under 4 gallons with 1 outlet to the engine raw water pump. the 2 hoses on top are an adjustable blow off valve and an air bleed.
the 2nd pic is of a single stariner fed by both drive pickup's and feeding both engines. in this case i used a "y" fitting to in the raw water line afer the raw water pump to feed the chiller's. the lid is made of 1" impact proof lexan and it also has an air bleed with a 1 way valve. this application also had the modified pickups in the lower as previously stated.
both air bleeds on both installations exit the stainers v.i.a a thru hull mounted as low and as far back as possible on the sides of the hulls.
Attached Thumbnails Water Pick-ups on Staggered Set-up-p1010056.jpg   Water Pick-ups on Staggered Set-up-100_0799-large-.jpg  

Last edited by monstaaa; 01-11-2008 at 08:05 PM.
Old 01-11-2008, 08:09 PM
Registered

heres the lower.
Attached Thumbnails Water Pick-ups on Staggered Set-up-p1010074.jpg   Water Pick-ups on Staggered Set-up-p1010075.jpg  
Old 01-11-2008, 08:13 PM
Registered

also make sure you have a properly functioning oil thermostat assembly. this will insure the removal of moisture in the oil that is concurrent with all blower motors typically using no thermostats and intercoolers which are intake mounted..
Old 01-11-2008, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Monstaaa, The pics of the modified intakes. Did you do those? What pressures do you see on engines and inter-coolers with that set up.
Old 01-11-2008, 09:12 PM
Registered

we see between 11 and 16

Quick Reply: Water Pick-ups on Staggered Set-up

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.